01-24-12 12:41 AM
    Ok, I took the plunge. Seems to works well with Win7 on latest OS2 beta!

You get a startup screen where you can define your servers and save your settings. Then once connected you can pinch to zoom and swipe down for options, including keyboard, resolution, right-mouse click and ctrl-alt-del. It's a native PB app, not an Android port.

Performance is pretty good. It does not support audio as far as I could tell.

Well done Todd!!!
    01-24-12 02:23 AM
    And here are some screenshots. Of course the app works full screen as well, but then that would only show you a Windows desktop ;-)

Startup screen with server settings. You can define more than one server.

Connecting to Windows

Windows desktop

Windows desktop with swipe-down menu showing

App World Link:
    Remote Desktop for BlackBerry PlayBook
    Last edited by Innovatology; 01-24-12 at 02:40 AM.
    01-24-12 02:33 AM
    I just downloaded this application and will be trying it later this week. How does the RDP application compare to Splashtop in terms of security over an Internet connection?
    01-24-12 04:31 AM
    Would you recommend this over Splashtop?
    01-24-12 04:54 AM
    Need a trial version - $7 is steep for an app that most Windows users take for granted.

Frankly, RIM should subsidize this one and build some good will with their core enterprise audience.

RCK
    fanatical likes this.
    01-24-12 05:06 AM
    I haven't used Splashtop because apparently it doesn't work on a multi-monitor setup, so I can't really compare.

Splashtop is a proprietary protocol and needs its own special server installed. This works with the standard RDP service already on many Windows machines.
    01-24-12 08:00 AM
    Shoddy spelling

"Remote Destop for BlackBerry PlayBook"
    01-24-12 08:30 AM
    A word of caution: if you use this by opening a port on your router, make sure you have strong usernames and passwords, change your password frequently and use a non-standard port number. Or better yet, set up a VPN connection to your network and tunnel through that.
    szparaj likes this.
    01-24-12 08:36 AM
    A few things that I hope I am answering correctly.

If I'm not mistaken, splashtop is just a fancy VNC client/server. Your windows pc needs to have some sort of server piece installed for you to connect.

RDP is built into the majority of windows os's and requires no installation to work. (I've really been waiting along time for this)

If you are going to forward ports on your router, I would highly recommend either changing the default port on your pc or map a different outside port to 3389. Also, as stated, strong username and password is highly recommended.

How to change the default port on RDP on your windows machine. You'll need to know what ports are open before you change it perhaps google for recommended ports to use (maybe someone else can chime in). You may need to make modifications to your built in windows firewall if you are using it.

• Start Registry Editor.
    • Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\TerminalServer\WinStations\RDP-Tcp\PortNumber
    • On the Edit menu, click Modify, and then click Decimal.
    • Type the new port number, and then click OK.
    • Quit Registry Editor.
    • Restart the computer.

Yes, the guy/girl muffed up the spelling, but the app works well. While I hate spending this much on any app for my playbook, it was important enough to me to spend the money on and support the dev who developed it.
    cntrydncr223 and bmwbarrister like this.
    01-24-12 08:44 AM
    sorry to highjack but you guys seem to know all about these programes, I have just purchased files and folders after reading this thread but have run into problems.
    know matter what i try i cant view the contents of folders.

i opened the folder of my blackberrys sd card but nothing is dispkayed and i get a breif flash of options to copy cut ect flash up in the left colum but no contents.
    01-24-12 08:58 AM
    App does look quite nice, thanks for the heads up!
    01-24-12 09:03 AM
    I bought this an works on our lan, does not work through BB bridge. People can say all day that rim should just release this app for free, but they didn't....so this is a great solution to a major business need with this playbook
    01-24-12 09:04 AM
    working over bridge for internet and also for behind the firewall access would be an amazing upgrade. I would gladly pay 9.99 for that
    01-24-12 09:12 AM
    I purchased this app and so far is good. Word of advice about opening RDP port on firewall to allow connections from internet -- no matter how complex your password or even if you change to different port as someone suggested RDP over public internet is a security risk - its sort of like putting secure 12 feet tall wall around your house and then cutting out small hole somewhere in the back behind the bushes... (running on default port is equivalent to the hole being visible in the front next to the gate --- changing to different port is equivalent to making the hole int he back behind bushes -- the hole is still there) ;-)

I really like this app so far. I just hope it had more gesture support like iTap RDP on iPad --- after you use iTAP RDP everything else is just not even close ;-)
    bbgolf likes this.
    01-24-12 10:00 AM
    For those of you thinking of using it for netflix - it doesn't port sound.

For extra security, I am using SSH/Telnet to create a SSH tunnel to use to connect the RDP. On my home PC I have CopSSH (free).
    01-25-12 07:41 AM
    sorry to highjack but you guys seem to know all about these programes, I have just purchased files and folders after reading this thread but have run into problems.
    know matter what i try i cant view the contents of folders.

i opened the folder of my blackberrys sd card but nothing is dispkayed and i get a breif flash of options to copy cut ect flash up in the left colum but no contents.

Then don't hijack the thread.
    Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry
    01-25-12 07:44 AM
    For those of you thinking of using it for netflix - it doesn't port sound.
    Also the refresh frame rate appears to be very low making it almost uwatchable even on a fast WiFi connection. (but I have not tweaked any settings yet - maybe there is a trick to make it work better).

For extra security, I am using SSH/Telnet to create a SSH tunnel to use to connect the RDP. On my home PC I have CopSSH (free).
    Interesting - are you using the VPN function of PlayBook or somehow else? Where do you configure SSH settings on PlayBook. Do you mind providing more details / steps how to get it to work?
    01-25-12 11:41 AM
    Also the refresh frame rate appears to be very low making it almost uwatchable even on a fast WiFi connection. (but I have not tweaked any settings yet - maybe there is a trick to make it work better).

Interesting - are you using the VPN function of PlayBook or somehow else? Where do you configure SSH settings on PlayBook. Do you mind providing more details / steps how to get it to work?
    I am able to setup the VPN/RDP to connect to work PCs. From Work to Home I use the Telnet/SSH (in appworld) to create a SSH connection. I use CopSSH (free) on my home PC as the SSH server. Once I have a SSH connections I use the RDP thru the SSH tunnel.
    Last edited by jslawell; 01-25-12 at 12:44 PM.
    01-25-12 12:32 PM
    Awesome, thanks - I will look into this some more!
    01-25-12 01:26 PM
    Awesome, thanks - I will look into this some more!
    FYI - I use BitVise Tunnelier (also free) from my work PC to make the SSH connection, it also open a RDP connection for me.
    01-25-12 01:32 PM
    working fine for me .. only thing is I wish I coyld move screen or keyboard as can't see what I am typing into password box on log on or for that matter anything typed on bottom of screen , a togle keyboard to top or a floating keyboard would be giod , else transparent

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    01-25-12 01:54 PM
    It seems the password needs to be embedded for each connection. If it's not, I get an error "Can't connect to server". That makes it easy to use as you just tap the icon for that connection and it’s in, but it’s also a security breach because if I lose my device while the screens are open someone can get directly into our system. My desktop RDP connection has my password blank so I need to fill it in each time I connect.

Anyone else experienncing this? Any work-arounds/solutions?

TIA - R.

EDIT : Solution as per Todd is to leave both user name and password blank in the connection setup. When you connect you wil be prompted for both. A bit of extra hassle but it removes the security issue, and Todd is going to try and get this fixed soon. Very fast response!
    Last edited by Rooster99; 01-25-12 at 05:15 PM.
    01-25-12 02:09 PM
    It seems the password needs to be embedded for each connection. If it's not, I get an error "Can't connect to server". That makes it easy to use as you just tap the icon for that connection and it�s in, but it�s also a security breach because if I lose my device while the screens are open someone can get directly into our system. My desktop RDP connection has my password blank so I need to fill it in each time I connect.

Anyone else experienncing this? Any work-arounds/solutions?

TIA - R.
    I have my PB password protected.
    01-25-12 02:20 PM
    I have my PB password protected.
    Yes, but I know not all of our users wil do that. Also, what if they put it down with the password lock set to 30 minutes? The RDP connection is available for 30 min to whoever picks it up, and forever from there as long as they don't let 30 min of inactivity go by.

EDIT : Todd got back to me (very fast response!) and it seems the password shouldn't have to be embedded in the connection profile. So we'll see how this can be fixed.

EDIT 2 : Solution is to leave both user name and password blank in the connection setup. When you connect you wil be prompted for both. A bit of extra hassle but it removes the security issue, ad Todd is going to try and get this fixed soon. Very fast response!

- R.
    Last edited by Rooster99; 01-25-12 at 05:14 PM.
    01-25-12 04:04 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD