I see different RDP apps. I need to connect playbook to my work desktop which uses XP pro. I already can connect from my home desktop using an RDP app so the work desktop is set up for the remote connection. Which one is recommended. I cannot install any apps on my work desktop, so which RDP app am I looking at using. Thanks.
    07-05-12 08:13 PM
    ES File Explorer (needs sideloading) doesn't need a dedicated desktop server to run, nor does Ghost Commander (in app world). Whether either one will connect to an XP PC, I don't know.
    07-05-12 08:26 PM
    I use "Remote Desktop" by Todd Grayson. Works well for me and is surprisingly fast - better than trying to remote into a Windows desktop via a Linux netbook.
    07-05-12 08:27 PM
    You want "Remote Desktop for BlackBerry PlayBook " by Todd Grayson. It was the first RDP application for the PlayBook and works well. I see there are more RDP apps now, but a lot of them look to be Android ports and are not well reviewed.

My wife uses it to connect to her office's RDP server when she is on the road. This connection just goes to their terminal server, as she does not have her own machine, but always connects via RDP.
    07-05-12 08:35 PM
    Ditto on the Todd Grayson RDP app recommendation. Good app that works well and covers the basics (though it could use a better/more unique name to distinguish it from the crowd).

RCK
    07-06-12 02:26 AM
    +1 for Grayson's RDP.

I use it to connect to a couple of PC's -- one with XP. You should be good to go. ~ecm
    07-06-12 07:33 AM
    Rove Mobile Admin

Free and works well.
    07-06-12 07:46 AM
    Todd Grayson RDP is what I use. I have splashtop too, but i prefer RDP. Note that both dont work when bridged. However, tethering allows them to connect.

RDP is much more secure than splashtop as well. Splashtop 2 fixed their security issues with encryption, which v1 doesnt have. No idea if we will ever see splashtop 2 on blackberry. Its not even on android yet.
    07-06-12 07:08 PM
    A few more questions. I am looking at the Todd Grayson RPD app. Is a mouse required? On the connection detail screen can I just use an IP address and enter id and pwd when connected? If so, can the IP go in the name field? On my desktop RDP app the IP address is entered in the computer name. I enter user id and pwd when connected and the domain is already present. Thanks all.
    07-13-12 01:12 PM
    Mouse is not required but will give you better control. Yes you can use ip to connect.
    07-13-12 03:26 PM
    Thx. Mouse recommendations? I did a search. Saw Microsoft and dell.
    Last edited by arnold8900; 07-13-12 at 03:57 PM.
    07-13-12 03:47 PM
    The Apple mice work as well. My wife has just been using her 9810 and Bridge to get mouse and keyboard functionality. We also have the BlackBerry keyboard and case combo, but only used it once. For occasional use the phone works well and doesn't add any bulk.
    07-13-12 08:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD