So I emailed the company SoftwareForMe to see if they are willing to port their app PhoneMyPC to the playbook. I got confirmation that they have submitted their app and is just pending approval. However, in a follow up e-mail I got this nice review of what they thought of the Playbook:

"Hello again,

One thing I forgot to mention: being largely an Android and PC shop at present, nobody here had used a Playbook until we got one, and we all had roughly the same impression: "Wow!" It is fast, intuitive and amazingly well designed.

Of course we've played with most (and own many) notable Android devices, and even have some iOS devices around, and we're now a bit confused why the PB hadn't taken the market by storm.

Maybe it's the size. I hope they release larger ones."

I'm glad to hear the playbook is getting received well by the developers.

Edit: The app is now available in app world. I purchased it and it works great on the playbook. Great alternative to splashtop. You can even get a live view of your computers webcam and microphone.
    Last edited by ad19; 03-20-12 at 05:51 PM. Reason: App world approval
    leedium, 9of13, yauchunh and 29 others like this.
    03-15-12 05:07 PM
    See! There's more out there than just the "Hype" stuff. And coming from a developer that means the PB is better than "Sheep" make it. Or maybe that's exactly the reason why the PB gets bashed all the time. They are just afraid of it's potential.
    diegonei, anon4065439 and kozmo68 like this.
    03-15-12 05:44 PM
    That is cool but the reason why is when it first came out, it wasn't ready yet. The OS finally got 'finished' last month, it didn't have a 3G version (I love Bridge don't get me wrong) so carriers prolly didn't want to support something that allows free tethering, and for its price it wasn't a deal.

The Kindle Fire came out at 200, and did well even with its faults, because they were honest and said this device is a 200 dollar device. No one buys a $500 ipad and says, wow, I got a great deal but people nod their heads in approval over the price of a 250 playbook
    Skier1960 likes this.
    03-15-12 05:50 PM
    My director of nursing asked for a few students who use their tablets for nursing school to sit in on a meeting with the publisher they use and offer our input. The DON wanted students who have different tablets, and me being the only person in NC has the playbook. She even acknowledged us students who were there and she even called me out by announcing in front of all the faculty and the two publishers that were there "oh, and Ian has the blackberry playbook". I guess everyone that was there are Apple fans, one of my instructors even said 'yuck' as if I am the elitist or something. But i happily informed them that my playbook can download all the content from the publishers online material. The student beside me even said the playbook is just like the ipad, only harder to use (?). I have never used an ipad before, so I had no idea what he meant. This playbook is my first tablet and I think it is extremely user friendly. It was funny as we compared our tablets and I asked him, "how is your multitasking?" he said "well you have to press this button to go back to the main screen, and then to have to clear the keyboard from the screen so you can open another app". So I promptly showed him how to move from one open app to the other. I guess the bb bold commercial is true - tools, not toys. I do plan on putting my playbook on exhibition, I have a presentation coming up next month where my group has to present a scenerio in front of all 125 nursing students and faculty. So yeah, any tips for this rookie playbook ppt presenter would be greatly appreciated (I am fully competent on bridge and remote).
    Last edited by nccanadian; 03-15-12 at 08:11 PM.
    03-15-12 08:09 PM
    ... So yeah, any tips for this rookie playbook ppt presenter would be greatly appreciated (I am fully competent on bridge and remote).
    I'm no expert, and not even "fully competent" on those tools, but here's are some thoughts.

If you have anything that might be sending you notifications during the presentation, go into the settings and disable the "Glow" feature, using just LED, so you don't see that red glow in the upper left of the screen during the presentation. (I don't think it comes out on the HDMI output if you're using the Presentation mode but you may not be doing that.) Also drop the volume notification volume down to zero.

Replace any too-personal wallpaper with something more professional if appropriate.

Put the thing you need in the "dock" area in advance, so you don't ever have to swipe up and search for them. Alternatively, put them all in a single folder and put that in the dock as you can open the folder any time on the home page with a single tap.
    RWD, Skier1960, Bakamushi and 1 others like this.
    03-15-12 11:03 PM
    So yeah, any tips for this rookie playbook ppt presenter would be greatly appreciated (I am fully competent on bridge and remote).
    I'm no expert, and not even "fully competent" on those tools, but here's are some thoughts.

If you have anything that might be sending you notifications during the presentation, go into the settings and disable the "Glow" feature, using just LED, so you don't see that red glow in the upper left of the screen during the presentation. (I don't think it comes out on the HDMI output if you're using the Presentation mode but you may not be doing that.) Also drop the volume notification volume down to zero.

Replace any too-personal wallpaper with something more professional if appropriate.

Put the thing you need in the "dock" area in advance, so you don't ever have to swipe up and search for them. Alternatively, put them all in a single folder and put that in the dock as you can open the folder any time on the home page with a single tap.
    Great advice, peter9477. I'll also add:

Keep the powerpoint (assuming you're using that) presentation simple --
    -no animations. If you want simple animations, just add additional individual slides.

-no embedded videos. If you want videos, "cue" them up in the folder you are using in your "dock"; then swipe out to show them, then swipe back to the presentation. You may have to toggle the presenter mode button (top right, looks like two rectangles).

-your projector may not have an hdmi input, so invest in a micro-HDMI to VGA dongle like this Samsung:
    Amazon.com: Samsung AA-AH1NAMB/US Micro HDmi To VGA Adapter: Electronics
    or this HP one (+ adapter):
    HP HDMI to VGA Display Adapter | HP� Official Store
    Amazon.com: HDMI Female to Micro HDMI Male Adapter: Electronics

I use the PlayBook regularly for presentations to a large group. The remote (Torch 9800) works well, although if I'm toggling between presentation and video, I just stand near the PlayBook. The projector I use only has VGA inputs so the adapter I have (HP + adapter combo) works well but when necessary, I use the headphone jack to connect to the speakers in the room. BUT, often, I just crank up the volume on the PlayBook and it fills the large room (probably because everyone is quiet).

One thing I will say about using the HP dongle, the image on the screen is dull until I press the HDMI presentation mode button.

Good luck!
    03-15-12 11:53 PM
    The real issue why people don't buy or even know about the playbook is RIM disgustingly terrible marketing because I can honestly say I live in the UK and haven't seen the playbook once on a advert made by blackberry/rim. I've oy seen a celeb use it to promote his song on a ad and recently a childrens presenter use it as a que card thingy. Apple and android have about 3/4 ads a day and only see about 3 from rim a week and since 2012 I haven't seen one blackberry ad also because people think because it is a blackberry product it 'isn't good' which I don't agree with. RIM need better marketing seriously...
    Last edited by siddo_d; 03-16-12 at 02:52 AM.
    diegonei likes this.
    03-16-12 02:48 AM
    Carphone Warehouse have been promoting the Playbook really heavily, I am surprised you haven't seen the ads. CW is mainly a business supplier, so I guess for them the PB makes more sense than most of the competition. But yes, BB seem to do all their UK marketing through the phone providers and carriers.
    03-16-12 05:51 AM
    The real issue why people don't buy or even know about the playbook is RIM disgustingly terrible marketing because I can honestly say I live in the UK and haven't seen the playbook once on a advert made by blackberry/rim.
    Sadly, I have to say the same here in the states. I watch quite a bit of TV, and I can't remember the last time I've seen any advertisements for the Playbook. I thought that there was going to be a big marketing push this year.

Stan M.
    03-16-12 07:03 AM
    See! There's more out there than just the "Hype" stuff. And coming from a developer that means the PB is better than "Sheep" make it. Or maybe that's exactly the reason why the PB gets bashed all the time. They are just afraid of it's potential.
    In North America there was a manufacturer of state of the art jet fighters called the A.V. Roe company. They designed and produced the Arrow which became known as the Avroe Arrow.

Upon completion of a few working prototypes (including jet engines) - production, research and design (everything) was shut down. IMO it appears others were afraid of it's potential. Sounds remarkably similar.
    Last edited by BB_makes_it_happen; 03-16-12 at 07:27 AM.
    robkd likes this.
    03-16-12 07:22 AM
    And that is just one example. It has happened before. I still say that there is some sort of dirty war going on in the background. The avoidance of support for RIM products is not only based on the terrible RIM marketing and the number of sold PlayBooks alone. The PB is religiously ignored for some other reason as well. And in my opinion it is fear of potential.
    03-16-12 08:05 AM
    That's pretty awesome! Seems like Mr. Saunders is doing a good job with getiing developers familiar with, and excited about the PlayBook and BB10
    03-16-12 09:33 AM
    I do think that the free Playbook to devs is helping a ton, look at this example...This looks good future bb10 development. Most devs play the numbers game when picking a platform. Playbook/qnx/bb10 is finally reaching numbers through aggressive discounting, dev give aways, and not to mention people actually picking up on it's strengths. There are people out there that do not want to live in an iWorld.....
    03-16-12 10:57 AM
    So... this is more proof of the secret war going on under our very noses? Blade meets The Matrix?

C'mon people.
    03-16-12 11:29 AM
    In North America there was a manufacturer of state of the art jet fighters called the A.V. Roe company. They designed and produced the Arrow which became known as the Avroe Arrow.

Upon completion of a few working prototypes (including jet engines) - production, research and design (everything) was shut down. IMO it appears others were afraid of it's potential. Sounds remarkably similar.
    I think it made the Americans and Brits quite nervous since it was arguably more advanced than any other interceptor in the world at the time.
    robkd and BB_makes_it_happen like this.
    03-16-12 12:28 PM

Whoa.

I thought the underlying issue was Russian spy activity. Wasn't the Arrow yanked by Canadian government?
    03-16-12 12:54 PM
    There was a short mention of Russian spies on the Wikipedia page but that was a small factor in the Arrow cancellation, in my opinion.

And yes, it was cancelled by the Canadian government.
    03-16-12 01:05 PM
    There was a short mention of Russian spies on the Wikipedia page but that was a small factor in the Arrow cancellation, in my opinion.

And yes, it was cancelled by the Canadian government.
    Off to check out Wiki.

And not to derail this too much: it is great commentary from a developer.
    03-16-12 01:07 PM
    AV Arrow was cancelled due to the advised of their american allies. They were told interceptors wont matter much anymore because everyone will have missiles that will make any interceptors obsolete. The worst part is the canadian government at the time they listen. AV arrow project was canceled.
    03-16-12 02:46 PM
    Maybe get them to tell slingmedia about how good it is? pls?
    03-16-12 02:50 PM
    Hate to say this, but a healthy portion of those that decide what device sells like hotcakes and those that don't are determined by people who only want these devices as a status symbol and to play games. A good way to show status is by being able to chat on a tables with Skype. I know of at least 5 people that considered the Playbook, but decided against it (more as an excuse) only due to not having Skype or Netflix.

I reallt think not being able to access these two apps account for a good number of unsold Playbooks. Sad, but true. You've got to appeal to the sheeple RIM!
    03-17-12 12:08 AM
    One thing I forgot to mention: being largely an Android and PC shop at present, nobody here had used a Playbook until we got one, and we all had roughly the same impression: "Wow!" It is fast, intuitive and amazingly well designed.
    I'm glad to hear the playbook is getting received well by the developers.
    Glad to hear that objective people like the PB!
    03-17-12 01:53 AM

Clear your tab of any junk.. Give it a good shut down restart.. Play with it for a bit till things seemed settle..

I suggest use multitasking as your strength.. No one said presentations need to be limited.. Keep your videos, pictures and browser open and at the desired point.. So you can quickly switch between them instead of embedding everything onto the presentation itself.. Get used to browser on fullscreen.. You can even run PDFs..

Try and test everything to check the fluency.. Best thing about moving around while connected to hdmi is no one can see your gesture movements but things move automatically..

Get used to doing the side bezel gesture instead of pulling up the apps.. And position your apps correctly with your presentation centered so left can be videos and right can be browser with flash statistics or something of that sort.. Preloaded everything ofcourse..

And lastly, watch the presentation demo by Kevin, crackberry.com. It's amazing demo of presentation possibilities
    nccanadian likes this.
    03-17-12 02:42 AM
    (I don't think it comes out on the HDMI output if you're using the Presentation mode but you may not be doing that.) Also drop the volume notification volume down to zero.
    Change your phone profiles to no alerts and turn off your cellular radio, phone call alerts show up through hdmi, including the name of the caller if they are in your address book.

Also, unless I am missing the trick, using successive slides to simulate animation doesn't work that well as the slide transition doesn't seem to do a bleed thru or fade to make that work
    peter9477 and nccanadian like this.
    03-17-12 08:05 AM
    Thank you all for the great suggestions. Although I still have a few weeks until our group presentation, it gives me plenty of time to practice these simple, yet effective ideas.
    03-17-12 12:11 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD