Hi everyone,

I wanted to share an observation about the rate of adoption for PlayBook OSV2.1. To set the context, I had coincidently released an update of an app a few days ago and was looking at how many of users have updated to the new version of the app. In the report available for developers, it also shows what OS level. I was a little bit surprised by what I saw: 99% in the generated report were already on V2.1. It was surprising because V2.1 has only been out for a little over 1 week. Granted the sample size relative to all the PlayBooks sold is very small, so I don't think we can draw any meaningful conclusions.

But two questions come to mind:
    1. are there those in the forum who have not yet moved? If not, why?
    2. is the PlayBook unique relative to Android and iOS in offering free OS updates with new features? If so, how valuable is this to people? (ie. I don't recall anyone mentioning this as an advantage whenever the inevitable comparisons are made between the tablets.
    10-11-12 07:20 PM
    would your report also show those who were on the beta? the beta was out for a while before the official release
    10-11-12 07:24 PM
    Yes and I think the reason people update quickly is for the new features and hopefully bug fixes.
    10-11-12 07:36 PM
    You will notice this since we have OTA updates. Since you dont have to hook the device to a computer most will just hit the update button and go. Most probably dont have a clue about what new features there are but when something asks to update, they do.
    10-11-12 07:39 PM
    I have not updated yet. My PlayBook is on 668 and that update went well for me. I don't bridge, I don't use Android, and don't use calendar etc. May update this weekend or not.
    10-11-12 09:34 PM
    I would say, RIM taking so much time to release minor update is the reason behind it. I bought mine in May this year and been waiting since than. (+ they took off the last one pretty quckly)
    10-11-12 10:14 PM
    (...)2. is the PlayBook unique relative to Android and iOS in offering free OS updates with new features? If so, how valuable is this to people?
    Indeed I did upgrade because of the improvement in handling Android apps.
    All in all RIM gives me an impression of seriousness as concerns system updates.
    But this may quickly change if what I hear about sideloading bound to disappear happens to be true...
    I think the transition to BB10, not 2.1, will be the touchstone; i expect a lot of communication before on what happens with non-upgraded installed apps, etc.
    10-12-12 05:06 AM
    I was already beta, so when it was available, I hit the button.
    10-12-12 07:25 AM
    Hi everyone,

I wanted to share an observation about the rate of adoption for PlayBook OSV2.1. To set the context, I had coincidently released an update of an app a few days ago and was looking at how many of users have updated to the new version of the app. In the report available for developers, it also shows what OS level. I was a little bit surprised by what I saw: 99% in the generated report were already on V2.1. It was surprising because V2.1 has only been out for a little over 1 week. Granted the sample size relative to all the PlayBooks sold is very small, so I don't think we can draw any meaningful conclusions.

But two questions come to mind:
    1. are there those in the forum who have not yet moved? If not, why?
    2. is the PlayBook unique relative to Android and iOS in offering free OS updates with new features? If so, how valuable is this to people? (ie. I don't recall anyone mentioning this as an advantage whenever the inevitable comparisons are made between the tablets.
    both iOS and Android have free updates so no BB is not unique for this.
    10-12-12 10:20 AM
    Too darn bad you are so right on about the OTA via a button push, this in the system tray.
    This is horrible. Doc Neutron
    10-13-12 02:38 AM
    Playbook owners took the update because the message popped up saying an update was available. That's it.
    Remember, most Playbook owners are not Crackberry members and have no idea what RIM is promising so I wouldn't put a lot of thought into how many Playbooks are running the latest OS.

I have several coworkers that have new Playbooks. They received a free Playbook when subscribing to our local newspaper. They are asking me to show them how to use it and how to use Bridge. I noticed that they were all running OS 2.1. They all said they got a notice for an update. None had any idea what they were updating or why.
    10-13-12 04:37 PM
    Exactly what happened to my daughter, only to find her onboard calendar
    wiped out. This is a horrible introduction to RIM. Doc Neutron
    10-13-12 05:52 PM
    Mine's working fine for now, I see no need to update.
    10-13-12 05:59 PM
    Playbook owners took the update because the message popped up saying an update was available. That's it.
    Remember, most Playbook owners are not Crackberry members and have no idea what RIM is promising so I wouldn't put a lot of thought into how many Playbooks are running the latest OS.

I have several coworkers that have new Playbooks. They received a free Playbook when subscribing to our local newspaper. They are asking me to show them how to use it and how to use Bridge. I noticed that they were all running OS 2.1. They all said they got a notice for an update. None had any idea what they were updating or why.
    from the feedback, it seems like the reason people upgrade so quickly is because it is so easy to do it. unlike ios and android where free upgrades exists it is relatively harder to do.

because the upgrade is pushed, users who are happy with their current level upgrade because they think they have to and are not looking for the new features offered. the downside is if there are issues like wiping out calendar info, a perfectly happy user who didn't need or want the upgrade is cheesed.

maybe the pb upgrade strategy needs to change. how about this:
    1. notify user
    2. pop up key features in update
    3. ask user to pay a very small fee for it (0.01)
    by charging a fee, albeit very small, it brings home that the upgrade is optional.
    10-13-12 09:39 PM
    unlike ios and android where free upgrades exists it is relatively harder to do.
    Where do people come up with this stuff? iOS is exactly the same when it comes to OS updates...
    10-13-12 10:05 PM
    Where do people come up with this stuff? iOS is exactly the same when it comes to OS updates...
    Thanks mikeo007 for the clarification. my experience with ios is limited.
    10-13-12 10:37 PM
    yeah android is the same, easy to do process as iOS i think. this is really rims first true use of OTA upgrades.
    10-13-12 10:46 PM
    yeah android is the same, easy to do process as iOS i think. this is really rims first true use of OTA upgrades.
    In RIM's defense, they may envision a time in which their entire ecosystem has no user
    PC (unclean!) components. Fine. I'm down with that. OK if third party apps and their
    data are corrupted. Not fine: messing with user's calendar, contacts, camera, music,
    and all other house components. What we all take for granted every month or so
    from Microsoft is maybe harder than it looks from an OTA PB. It is gonna take a lot
    more than a free movie to quell my anger on this whole mess. Things to consider:
    (1) forget the 16/32 GB PB; (2) consider something along the lines of Verizon/BB's
    Protect Program or what that just happens without user intervention. Doc Neutron
    Last edited by DoctorNeutron; 10-14-12 at 11:44 AM. Reason: punctuation
    10-14-12 11:40 AM