12-24-11 07:39 PM
69 123
tools
    I bought a 64GB during the $300 price drop. I was going to get one for Christmas regardless of the price, but it was a steal at the lower price. Personally i dont care what the value goes to, I have something that does everything I want it to do and more.
    Also being a bb owner i never go to any other part of the forums except the blackberry posts, i just wish iphone users would do the same.
    some of us have more than one device and aren't just fervert fanboys for one brand/company.

The PB dropping to $200 was more due to the Fire coming out at that price than anything else, I think. Maybe it would have been $300 if RIM had delivered on the software; but no way could it continue to be priced as a full-size full-feature iPad and sell. I've been waiting for Samsung to drop its 7" prices significantly. It will be interesting to see the price at which the rumored 8" iPad is introduced, as, with the Fire setting the lower limits, that will probably establish the upper limits for 7" pricing.
    the part where playbooks just sat on shelves for months on end probably had more of an impact than the kindle fire. people know what the kindle fire is. amazon made it specifically as a consumption device.

playbook on the other hand, was touted by RIM as a game changer for business and games and etc etc etc. it didn't do either of them. and now, even as a media consumption device its actually worse off than the kindle.

but yep, no way could it compete with the ipad at the same price point.
    12-23-11 05:49 PM
    ANY tablet except ipad has seen the value plummet as well. If I would have got the Xoom it would have been just as bad.
    There are other tablets that have not depreciated nearly as much over time compared to the Xoom and PB. Also the Xoom was outrageously priced at launch even compared to other tablets, which was part of it's problem... It's not a straight comparison in that regard.
    12-23-11 05:58 PM
    Many here have iPads in their households. I personally have an iPad 1, an iPad 2, 2 Touches and 2 iPhones. We have 2 BB phones and 2 PBs, with another on the way. I am well qualified to compare the two.
    wow i hope your family is a house of 10 people.thats a lot of stuff.
    12-23-11 06:23 PM
    wow i hope your family is a house of 10 people.thats a lot of stuff.
    LOL No, four. Wife has an iPad1, a new PB and a 9650. Daughter has iPad 2, iPod touch and iPhone4S. Son has a Touch and iPhone 4. I have the PB and my 9930. That's it. The real problem is the darn chargers all over the house.
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 12-23-11 at 07:37 PM.
    12-23-11 07:28 PM
    We are still waiting for PB OS 2.0 release, with native Email/Calendar apps and such.
    There will be *no* native email in Feb 2012 (sad I need to put the year, but there you have it) even if RIM does break from their recent pattern and actually release version 2.0 in Feb as they claim.
    Again, some sort of 2.0 even if it is a buggy POS is possible in Feb but no native mail. This would be funny if it weren't so pathetic.
    The_Kills likes this.
    12-23-11 07:38 PM
    There will be *no* native email in Feb 2012 (sad I need to put the year, but there you have it) even if RIM does break from their recent pattern and actually release version 2.0 in Feb as they claim.
    Again, some sort of 2.0 even if it is a buggy POS is possible in Feb but no native mail. This would be funny if it weren't so pathetic.
    Well, that's new to me. Where did that come from? Are you joking or serious?
    12-23-11 08:30 PM
    Well, that's new to me. Where did that come from? Are you joking or serious?
    RIM may have to release another statement now.
    12-23-11 08:40 PM
    I too wondered where this little nugget came from as I hadn't read anything else that made this definitive statement.

So? Care to enlighten us further?
    12-23-11 08:53 PM
    gee! I love my playbook..!! the only time I have problems with it is when I have to many apps open at the same time. other than that, it works great for me. And I'm runny the 2.0.0.6149 beta. each update gets better and I love it more.
    12-24-11 03:06 AM
    I too wondered where this little nugget came from as I hadn't read anything else that made this definitive statement.

So? Care to enlighten us further?
    He is speaking based on track record.
    12-24-11 03:30 AM
    I bought my PlayBook for 400$ but i live outside the US and thank God that 400$ for me isnt that much money, i dont regret how much i paid for it or any other technology gadget/device because they will never gain value with time lol, thats a pure logic fact.

Now, on the PlayBook i must say it is the best piece of tech i acquired this 2011. The first tablet i bought was an iPad2 and as a BlackBerry user it was a mistake. The Tablet is good, cant regret but just too big and overrated just because of the 1 million apps and all that Apple cult... The Galaxy Tab 10.1 is a Tablet i used to love a lot, totally felt it was the device of the year until i got my PlayBook which is more portable, can carry anywhere and i got a very fancy leather case with a chromed BlackBerry logo outside that look freaking hot. Looking forward for OS2 in February (5 Weeks lol), Android Player, etc etc etc
    12-24-11 12:10 PM
    Although, I am now regretting having even a iPod touch, as I only ever use it when I am teaching a dance class, and I can even stop that now that I have my PlayBook. Keep in mind my iPod touch is a few years old. And since apple constantly puts out a new feature on the same device year after year and charges the same price year after year, I dont see why Ill ever need another iPod touch since I only use it for music storage. I dont even purchase any music off of iTunes, so being tied to the software is even more annoying then anything.
    Try using it as a PDA and music player. I subscribe to several podcast (currently using a 3rd gen Nano) and iTunes handles podcast wonderfully. I have never bought any music through iTunes either, I just rip CDs.

Early adopters always pay a price and it's always a gamble.

Yes Apple is on a roll, but let's not forget that Apple flirted with bankruptcy at least once... no one is immune.

My 2 cents and 1st post.

Denis
    Apple also brought in fresh faces in upper management. They brought Steve back and he assembled a crackpot team. RIM's co CEOs failed to adapt to a changing market and refuse to leave because they want to see RIM through these rocky times. What is sad, as an iOS user (iPAd), when it came time to jump on the smart phone bandwagon, I choose a 9810, because I felt it was a more capable device than the iPhone. Yet RIM is getting their butts kicked.

Welome to Crackberry.

this is a strange statement. I would argue that if 15 million people in 3 months are willing to pay for it "at any price" it absolutely does mean that there is value there.
    18 million, but what's three million amongst friends.

The QUALITY of apps you speak of costs $$$ too so at full price the iPad2 you are getting is practically a web browser as well under that logic.

The Playbook supports, and was designed mainly to support, Blackberries so there's no advantage there for Apple. In fact, all iPad's have even been is a bigger iPhone without the phone features.

One thing I will give credit to Apple for is reinventing the word "Hype". They ran their marketing machine continuously and so overwhelmingly that their products have been shocked into being bought and sold at unreasonably high prices for a long time.

The bubble will pop, like all bubbles do.
    Unfortunately not everyone owns BB phones. Besides do I really want to whip out my phone to use my tablet ? No thanks.

It's not "Hype" as you put it. It's a useful device. Now that PB is starting to get more native apps, (I don't care what anyone on here says, Angry Birds rules). PB 2 might be appealing, but it needs native email, calendar, and contacts and a non Google way to keep them in sync across ALL your workstations, laptops, mobile devices, ect.
    Last edited by Mr.Willie; 12-24-11 at 02:16 PM.
    conix67 likes this.
    12-24-11 02:12 PM
    as long as you use it who cares about the price, I could see complaining if the playbook was stocks and you lost your money...
    12-24-11 03:40 PM
    Try using it as a PDA and music player. I subscribe to several podcast (currently using a 3rd gen Nano) and iTunes handles podcast wonderfully. I have never bought any music through iTunes either, I just rip CDs.
    But why would I want to use my music player as a PDA when I have a fully functional BlackBerry? My very first iPod was the first gen iPod w/ video. I needed to get a new phone and I was also looking/considering getting a PDA... Rather then carrying 3 devices around I decided to get a pocketPC as they were referred to at the time. After a few years with that I needed to upgrade again... enter BlackBerry... and now today, I have a great AIO device... Adding my PB to the mix now really is an extension of my BB.

IMO, iOS and Android devices are a bit over overkill... they all do the exact same things (with the exception of making a phone call) because they all run off of the exact same OS... IMHO, im not too keen on RIM making their OS the same across all hardware platforms (BBs & PBs) because it eliminates the need for another device.

I absolutely love the fact that the PB is an extension of my BB... the $ spent for me is justified with the more things I learn I can do and abilities gained by using my PB on a daily basis has more then paid for itself regardless of price paid. Again regardless of price paid it is personally more valuable then others think it has lost.

I wonder how much the OP or others that share his concern for monetary depreciation would feel if the device was stolen? I know if it were stolen from me or lost, that it would be more or a loss then the amount I paid for it or the apps i may have bought for it. Would you really be concerned of how much the value lost was then? Would you be concerned at all? Would you just let it go, and think, "Well its only really worth 1/3 or 40% of what i paid for it, so no big deal."

I doubt it.
    12-24-11 04:36 PM
    as long as you use it who cares about the price, I could see complaining if the playbook was stocks and you lost your money...
    You don't lose money on stocks dropping value until you sell them. At least they have chance to bounce back.

True as long as you use it you shouldn't really care what you paid for it in the first place. However, your friends or family (especially your wife) may not think the same way.

No one expects high tech gadgets or toys to hold their value very long, but seeing someone next to you getting the same item at less than half the price you paid for in a matter of months surely will bring bad taste in the mouth.

I know some people on this forum don't mind this at all. However, I doubt they represent majority.
    12-24-11 06:15 PM

One thing I will give credit to Apple for is reinventing the word "Hype". They ran their marketing machine continuously and so overwhelmingly that their products have been shocked into being bought and sold at unreasonably high prices for a long time.

Thanks for the laughs, dude!
    12-24-11 06:39 PM

Unfortunately, that's what all competitors were thinking. I guess they learned the lesson in a hard way, now they realized there's no such bubble. Keep dreaming if you think all they are doing is "hype".
    12-24-11 06:43 PM
    I am not an Apple fan--didn't like their early computer products, which were crippled and limited compared to the S-100 competition, and Apple's patronizing attitude, among other things. But, I try to be honest. And, the iPad from the beginning has been a great tablet, IMHO. Of course, I got a laugh out of Steve Jobs trying to pretend he liked typing on it, etc.; but, for a tablet (i.e. fun "toy" computer), it is great. It has good styling, a high-quality IPS screen, good battery life, intuitive and very functional user interface, and lots of easy-to-install apps. Sure, Apple left out some features to keep costs down; but, all-in-all, it provided a very effective package. Of course, if you prefer a 7" device, the iPad is not for you; but, lots of things can be done more comfortably on a larger screen--that's why I have a Samsung 10.1 in additon to my Playbook.

Building on its iPod experience, Apple understood the importance of a complete "ecosystem" for a handheld device and provided exactly that when it rolled out the iPad. Unfortunately, RIM is still grappling with the concept...
    12-24-11 07:06 PM
    At the end of the year I always go over my decisions over the past year and try to learn from my mistakes. Whether or not it was a good idea to sell those gold coins, or buy that mountain bike that I didn't use much, whatever it is. My biggest mistake this year was the playbook. I probably spent $850 on this thing including the accessories and its practically worthless now. ANY tablet except ipad has seen the value plummet as well. If I would have got the Xoom it would have been just as bad.
    $850!!!! Wow, you could have spent a fraction of that on a couple dates and possibly getting some coochie 2-3 months later instead of sharing the L you took in an internet forum. Grow a pair,geesh
    12-24-11 07:39 PM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD