12-24-11 07:39 PM
69 123
tools
    I would suggest that the VALUE of the tablet has gone up. It is more capable and thus more VALUABLE than at launch.
    If you're referring to PB, yes I agree its value have gone up since its launch.

Why the heck did RIM lower its price then? Why are there less people buying PB than launch until RIM dropped the price?
    12-23-11 10:22 AM
    Ok OP, imagine taking a Playbook and an early iPad to the Antiques roadshow in 50 years. Both are quaint examples of early mobile technology but while there are still millions of iPads in existence there are very few working Playbooks left. The appraiser pronounces that your Playbook is now worth $20K adjusted for inflation due to its rarity and the demand from tablet collectors.
    12-23-11 10:29 AM
    I buy using disposable income and because I want something, not as an investment with the idea that I'll get my money back. Some things I've used for years, others for a short time and I have fun giving stuff away.
    12-23-11 10:31 AM
    i bought my 64gb at full price on April 19th. At the time I knew I would be paying the MOST I ever would for it. I've also spent a considerable sum on chargers, cases, screen protectors, etc. Am I concerned about its present resale value? Not a bit!

In fact, I am glad to see that RIM is now discounting the Playbook because, in hindsight, they overpriced it on launch. I think its better than the IPad for a whole host of reasons, many of them technical and many due to the fact I rarely play games on my Playbook. But the average consumer looks at price and what games are available. The Playbook is only now competing on price and I know dozens of people who have bought one and love it but only bought because of the price.

Yes, I paid $699 and its now worth less than half that used but I have had 8 months of awesome, daily, use of my Playbook in the meantime. It has become an indispensable business tool for me that never leaves my side. It has saved me and my clients money and put information at my fingertips quickly. Although, I paid full price, I have had full use of it and when the battery finally dies from too many recharges I won't think twice about going out and spending $399 (or less) on a replacement because, in my view, I will have got back what I put into my first Playbook tenfold.

That being said, I am not one of these people who buys, tries, and sells. I buy, use, abuse, discard, and replace at generation 3 or 4 not generation 2. Electronic devices are not investments -- they are disposable and their depreciation rate reflects that fact. I am sympathetic to those who buy, use briefly, try to sell at minimum loss, and then buy again. But you are fighting a losing battle. IMHO you are better to just buy and enjoy.
    Hgouck likes this.
    12-23-11 10:40 AM
    Try focusing your anger and frustration on those two RIM co-CEO's whose mismanagement and lack of vision caused this mess. At $1 a year they are finally being paid what they are worth.

There is nothing wrong with the hardware or quality of the Playbook. But it is turning out that the software apps are nothing more than vaporware and broken promises.

Blackberry was at the top of its game not long ago and a device to be coveted. But you can't live on your laurels when the market is so competitive and rapidly changing.

Why those two CEOs haven't been fired is a mystery to me. RIM doesn't understand the consumer market. It needs to refocus on its corporate customers before it is too late. Corporate customers need the security RIM devices provide. The PB should have had a native email and PIM from the start. It should also have been able to do videoconferencing. HD cameras are fantastic for that purpose. And HDMI to a projector for a presentation would have really been a fantastic sales tool. Corporations spend more than individual customers. PB launch was totally botched and never fixed.

And learning that Amazon and others were interested in buying RIM really rubs salt in the wounds.
    nasa25 and conix67 like this.
    12-23-11 10:48 AM
    i can sympathize with the op.its like sitting on a plane u bought your ticket 6months ago for 1k and the guy beside u got a lastminute desperation sale for $100 to fill a seat.hes smiling from ear to ear and your both going to the same place.i would feel cheated and taken advantage of if i paid 500 for the pb and now thier price is 199. it was grossly overpriced at launch.it couldnt come close to competeing with the ipad at that time and they shouod never have offered it at same price as a ipad.if rim launched it at 249. and lowered it for a sale to 199 they would be in a much better spot today.it wasnt worth 500 then and its definatly not worth it now.at its price now its a condender in that clasz and yes prob top of its class but as a 500 tab with the big boys it will nevrr be and with the huge price drop just zhows people it cant compete.u will never and i mean never see the ipad go for 199.they are confident in thier product and have a huuuuuuge loyal fanbase and would never resort to that
    12-23-11 11:09 AM
    If I looked at everything I ever purchased and pondered its loss of value, I'd go nuts. All I have to do is drive a new car off the lot and the value goes down. I purchased my pb with my eyes open, for what it is (not what it might become), and am enjoying the heck out of it. I'm sorry the OP regrets his choice - so glad I don't.
    Serkle K and rotorwrench like this.
    12-23-11 11:19 AM
    every one expects depriciation but yiu have to admit the pb prices over past few months is anything but normal.no one expects thier device to hold its value forever but over a 60% drop in a few months is not normal depriciation
    12-23-11 12:04 PM
    The problem is that you bought it before understanding its value, in a new industry like the tablet one, the price tag that is put on the product is not necessarily what the consumer is willing to pay and what the consumer is willing to pay is ultimately the determining factor in the value of these products, the price of the playbook was simply to high and still is too high at its MSRP. It was once 800 dollars for a regular dvd player 20 grand for a plasma tv. 2000 dollars was a of a lot of money for a television 12 years ago, but now you got hundreds of thousands of homes in any given major city with a television that expensive. Your in the same position as the guy who spent 800 bucks for his regular dvd player, just thank god your not the guy that spent 600 dollars on his toshiba hd dvd player before bluray won out.
    12-23-11 01:49 PM
    at full price the ipad 2 is completely worth it.
    while the quantity of apps is obviously high, its the QUALITY of the apps that really make the ipad shine through and will easily pay for itself if you actually use your tablet for more than web browsing. highly supported by apple (since iphone/ipad is pretty much their bread and butter for this generation), and well if you don't end up liking it, you can easily sell it and recoup the majority of your money back.

the playbook even at $199 is a stretch considering its current state, lack of app support with a constant growing library of shoddy handster-imported garbage apps from android, HORRIBLE support from RIM themselves, and what was supposed to be RIMS saviour has been pretty much determined by the masses as a huge flop. and if you bought it for full price some months ago at $499+, good luck even getting $100 used for it now.

if all you do is web browsing on a tablet, the playbook at $199 is a good buy.
    12-23-11 02:18 PM
    The value of purchasing a product new to the market is to make yourself feel good. You are the first in your company, or your office, or among your friends to have it. If you want to be that person than you will pay an overly high price for that product no matter what it is. The first to own "THAT new thing" comes at a premium price tag.
    I have a good friend that has to have the latest new technology. LED TV $2000, Blue Ray $600, Playbook $800.
    Me? I wait 6 months to a year and pay half that or less. We both get what we want.We Re both happy with our TV's, Blue Ray, and Playbook.
    12-23-11 02:26 PM
    I paid $299 for my 32G playbook. I mostly surf the net and use the calendar and email with it, and I'll be downloading movies to it when I go on vacation in a couple of months. I have no qualms about the price, as I don't particularly care about what number of apps are available to me. My wife has an iPad2, and she likes watching videos on my playbook, especially if they're ones that she can't watch on the pad. The built in speakers are much better, too. We can't stream movies to our TV with the pad, either, which is more valuable to me than Angry Birds or Mustaches of the World or whatever other apps are out there.
    Lhendr likes this.
    12-23-11 02:31 PM
    At the end of the year I always go over my decisions over the past year and try to learn from my mistakes. Whether or not it was a good idea to sell those gold coins, or buy that mountain bike that I didn't use much, whatever it is. My biggest mistake this year was the playbook. I probably spent $850 on this thing including the accessories and its practically worthless now. ANY tablet except ipad has seen the value plummet as well. If I would have got the Xoom it would have been just as bad.
    Maybe worthless to you, but not every owner. We show at work that each PB we issue to an employee will pay for itself within a month or so. After that time period, it is then capital savings. That's at an average $450 purchase price and $100 in accessories. Money in the bank for a business that can implement it.
    12-23-11 02:35 PM
    Who the heck pays full price for a 1st generation device anyway? Like with the iPad 1. Or the HP Touchpad.

All of you have paid a premium for what? For having the privilege of beta testing the devices for the founders?

You have only yourself to blame.
    I don't get what you're saying. IPad 1 price was $499 at the introduction. The price stayed that way until IPad 2 which was also sold at the same price, and it remains that way. No one paid premium for IPad 1.
    12-23-11 02:41 PM
    I paid $299 for my 32G playbook. I mostly surf the net and use the calendar and email with it, and I'll be downloading movies to it when I go on vacation in a couple of months. I have no qualms about the price, as I don't particularly care about what number of apps are available to me. My wife has an iPad2, and she likes watching videos on my playbook, especially if they're ones that she can't watch on the pad. The built in speakers are much better, too. We can't stream movies to our TV with the pad, either, which is more valuable to me than Angry Birds or Mustaches of the World or whatever other apps are out there.
    like i said, if your main use is just web browsing with no intention to really delve out of that realm, then at the huge discount prices its worth it. its NOT worth it outside of that price because the playbook literally can't do anything else that well. and for the original $499 price you'd have to be a HUGE rim fan to have put up with that cost for such little return.

if you buy an ipad and all you do is web browse, well thats also a huge waste of money then. for those that use it to a much fuller extent, its amazing.

i have an hdmi adapter i bought for $20 that allows me to connect my ipad and my iphone to my hdtv. extra cost? yes. (then again BB/playbook apps are also generally more expensive than android/iOS counterpart apps)

but i ALSO i need to do the opposite (stream movies/tv shows FROM my htpc to my device) and the playbook can't do that at all, regardless of how much money i can spend on it.

if one main functionality you need is to be able to store video and play it on your tv, then a cheap $200 HTPC would have been a much better solution with way bigger storage capability along with the capability to run xbmc/plex/boxee whatever other media server you want.

how are you actually controlling playbook of the video once you have it connected to your tv? is there a remote app available on secondary devices to do so?
    12-23-11 02:54 PM
    while the quantity of apps is obviously high, its the QUALITY of the apps that really make the ipad shine through and will easily pay for itself if you actually use your tablet for more than web browsing. highly supported by apple (since iphone/ipad is pretty much their bread and butter for this generation), and well if you don't end up liking it, you can easily sell it and recoup the majority of your money back.
    The QUALITY of apps you speak of costs $$$ too so at full price the iPad2 you are getting is practically a web browser as well under that logic.

The Playbook supports, and was designed mainly to support, Blackberries so there's no advantage there for Apple. In fact, all iPad's have even been is a bigger iPhone without the phone features.

One thing I will give credit to Apple for is reinventing the word "Hype". They ran their marketing machine continuously and so overwhelmingly that their products have been shocked into being bought and sold at unreasonably high prices for a long time.

The bubble will pop, like all bubbles do.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    12-23-11 03:18 PM
    The Playbook supports, and was designed mainly to support, Blackberries so there's no advantage there for Apple. In fact, all iPad's have even been is a bigger iPhone without the phone features.
    Forgot to mention that I already had BB phone, so I bridge my calendar/email. Also bridge the browser when I'm not in a wifi enabled area. I'm an attorney, and I'm in court a lot and only a few courthouses have open wifi networks, so the bridgeable browser is a nifty feature. Much easier to view my calendar on the Playbook than on my phone. Also, I like the smaller size of the playbook. It's no larger (maybe even a bit smaller) than the DayRunner I used to use back in the day.
    12-23-11 03:26 PM
    Care to wager on the chances the OP will "take a chance" on the next BB product at launch?
    Based on their post, no. BUT many in the same boat have. As in earlier posts, there are early adopters who have bought second and third PBs. Therefore I believe sales of the next BB product will be good. We'll see with BB10.
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 12-23-11 at 04:06 PM.
    12-23-11 04:01 PM
    Early adopters always pay a price and it's always a gamble.

Yes Apple is on a roll, but let's not forget that Apple flirted with bankruptcy at least once... no one is immune.

I just got a 16 GB PB for $199 and yes it us a steal for a high quality device.

Looking back, RIM was not ready for this market and should have stuck to its core competency: secure email devices and good phones.

When giants like Samsung, Sony, Motorola, Google and more - all struggle against Apple and/or Amazon, one cannot be shocked to see RIM fail.

It's all about the ecosystems these companies built: apps for iPod/iPads, books for the Kindle. RIM is building its ecosystem, we'll see where it takes them, but it may be too late for the tablet!

My 2 cents and 1st post.
    Denis

Welcome to our 'little' forum
    12-23-11 04:06 PM
    every one expects depriciation but yiu have to admit the pb prices over past few months is anything but normal.no one expects thier device to hold its value forever but over a 60% drop in a few months is not normal depriciation
    I can understand too, I've been there. But you're wrong on one point. When the the iPad 2 released the value of the original iPad plummeted. But in the end, if the product works for you, what does it matter? My wife got an iPad and months later the iPad 2 came out. There were pissed iPad owners all over the planet. Now she can barely give the thing away. It still was working fine for her, and still does for home use, but now the PB is her go device.
    Hgouck likes this.
    12-23-11 04:18 PM
    I bought a 64GB during the $300 price drop. I was going to get one for Christmas regardless of the price, but it was a steal at the lower price. Personally i dont care what the value goes to, I have something that does everything I want it to do and more.
    Also being a bb owner i never go to any other part of the forums except the blackberry posts, i just wish iphone users would do the same.
    12-23-11 04:26 PM

the playbook even at $199 is a stretch considering its current state, lack of app support with a constant growing library of shoddy handster-imported garbage apps from android, HORRIBLE support from RIM themselves, and what was supposed to be RIMS saviour has been pretty much determined by the masses as a huge flop. and if you bought it for full price some months ago at $499+, good luck even getting $100 used for it now.

Your opinion, definitely not fact. As a work tool, mine paid for itself the first month.
    Serkle K likes this.
    12-23-11 04:27 PM
    I can understand too, I've been there. But you're wrong on one point. When the the iPad 2 released the value of the original iPad plummeted. But in the end, if the product works for you, what does it matter? My wife got an iPad and months later the iPad 2 came out. There were pissed iPad owners all over the planet. Now she can barely give the thing away. It still was working fine for her, and still does for home use, but now the PB is her go device.
    The value of IPad dropping when IPad 2 came out is expected, no one argues that here. Price of IPad was discounted immediately, but even then they just took $100 off.

We are still waiting for PB OS 2.0 release, with native Email/Calendar apps and such. The value of PB dropped below manufacturing cost before the OS update to correct problems that should not have been there in the first place.

OP's point is quite valid, and the loss of PB's value is far from *normal* even in high tech industry.

However, I can't complain about it, since that's how I got my PB.
    12-23-11 05:18 PM
    The PB dropping to $200 was more due to the Fire coming out at that price than anything else, I think. Maybe it would have been $300 if RIM had delivered on the software; but no way could it continue to be priced as a full-size full-feature iPad and sell. I've been waiting for Samsung to drop its 7" prices significantly. It will be interesting to see the price at which the rumored 8" iPad is introduced, as, with the Fire setting the lower limits, that will probably establish the upper limits for 7" pricing.
    12-23-11 05:32 PM
    The PB dropping to $200 was more due to the Fire coming out at that price than anything else, I think. Maybe it would have been $300 if RIM had delivered on the software; but no way could it continue to be priced as a full-size full-feature iPad and sell. I've been waiting for Samsung to drop its 7" prices significantly. It will be interesting to see the price at which the rumored 8" iPad is introduced, as, with the Fire setting the lower limits, that will probably establish the upper limits for 7" pricing.
    Amazon's pricing is something other manufacturers cannot follow. This puts a lot of pressure to manufacturers like Samsung, for their 7" product, since Samsung will not sell theirs at loss like RIM did. So based on current situation, I can see Samsung dropping their 7" price down to $350, but not sure about $300.

I agree PB pricing was to match Kindle Fire pricing. I feel that PB holds its value at $300 if it were not for the software issues, like you said.

There are also some $99 7" tablets from Chinese brands that don't look all that bad on the paper. The tablet market is a big mess right now.
    The_Kills likes this.
    12-23-11 05:47 PM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD