Dog chewed on my usb charger's wire. So I was thinking of getting one of the rapid chargers. Heard good things about the rapid travel charger. But I like the idea of the stand, but it has some bad reviews. Can anyone share their experience if they have both? Or which they like better and why.
    muzeek likes this.
    08-31-12 10:13 PM
    I have the Blackberry Rapid wall charger and love it, works 10 fold better then the usb charger.
    garlee likes this.
    08-31-12 10:28 PM
    I have several of both, as I have dozens of PlayBooks. The Dock requires that the PlayBook be taken out of its case or skin...the Rapid Charger does not. The Dock requires you to be fairly gentle with the placement of the PlayBook in it so as not to damage the magnetic pins. The Rapid Charger is more forgiving in this manner. The Dock allows for the dual purpuse use as a viewing stand for watching video or when using bluetooth mice and/or keyboard...and as a nice alarm clock. The Dock does NOT allow simultaneous use of the micro HDMI out, the Rapid Charger does.

If I had to choose one, I would go for the Rapid Charger, but I could not imagine life without both (just as life would suck without my beloved PlayBooks).
    Last edited by nextcity; 08-31-12 at 10:46 PM.
    BlazorBoy and muzeek like this.
    08-31-12 10:43 PM
    Had both. Gave away stand charger because I had to take the PB out of my Incipio case to use it. Since have found Blurex case which does not have to be removed to allow use of stand. Still prefer rapid travel charger because it leaves access to HDMI and mini USB while charging. Also feel it easier to use for moving around house or travel. Recommend highly to save wear and tear on USB port and get a little faster charge.
    08-31-12 10:50 PM
    I like having the stand. Looks nice and charges fast. Can even remove the cable and take the stand part with you for just that purpose if you'll be somewhere where you can't plug in.
    08-31-12 11:04 PM
    Depends what you want to use the charger for....

I have a stand - and my PB is on it whilst I am in my client's office (this allows me to be aware of all MY stuff - the client has wifi independent of the corporate network so consultants can access their own stuff)

For travelling I use the micro-usb charger (taking great care not to damage the PB's flimsy micro-usb port) which is handy as I can also charge my BB with it. My biggest problem using the micro-usb charger whilst travelling is that it is very heavy, and if you plug the charger into an international adaptor, which itself is plugged into an old wall socket, both will fall off the wall!

NB: The stand in the office is also a great advertisement for the PB, and sooner or later 95% of colleagues come over to have a gander at the tablet. Surprisingly (for me anyway), the PB function they are most interested in, is usually the integrated contacts (eg where it pulls in LinkedIn, last meetings, etc) - they almost all want to look at each other's updated LinkedIn profiles
    Last edited by BigAl_BB9900; 09-01-12 at 09:58 AM.
    09-01-12 09:55 AM
    Both. As others have stated, each has their advantages, but both leave the micro usb charger in their dust.
    09-01-12 11:50 AM
    I have both.

The worse part of the rapid travel charger is that the lead from the power pack to the magnetic PB plug is too short.

If you use your PB for hours on end, get the rapid travel charger, if not, buy the charging stand.

I use my stand more than the other. When I need to do something I put it on the dock & collect on the way back.
    Both are great & charge quickly.
    09-01-12 12:32 PM
    I have 2 of the rapid travel chargers.

I like the looks of the stand charger but can't get over the fact that you have to remove the case to charge the device.

09-01-12 01:57 PM
    I'm interested in this topic too now that my stand no longer works and needs an alternative replacement. I'm thinking that the travel charger is less flimsy than the dock. I think there were several bad reviews of the dock.
    09-01-12 02:51 PM
    I'm interested in this topic too now that my stand no longer works and needs an alternative replacement. I'm thinking that the travel charger is less flimsy than the dock. I think there were several bad reviews of the dock.
    Some have reported that when they sit their PB in the dock for the night, they wake to a PB that hasn't charged.

They then learn to double check its sitting in the dock charging.

I've never had this problem.

OP, get both.
    09-01-12 02:55 PM
    Thanks for all the input. Leaning towards getting both now.
    09-01-12 03:35 PM
    Some have reported that when they sit their PB in the dock for the night, they wake to a PB that hasn't charged.

They then learn to double check its sitting in the dock charging.

I've never had this problem.

OP, get both.
    My dock failed by having one of the pins compress in and it would not come out. I'm not sure the quality is that great on this dock. I think that was the consensus in in some of the other threads too as I recall.
    09-01-12 03:48 PM
    I like the stand better because it is easy to just plop in. But I don't use a case on the PB.
    09-01-12 04:23 PM
    Travel. Much easier to use your PlayBook when charging. It partners well with the Arkon stand too. Can even handle my OtterBox case. Highly recommend.

Amazon.com: Arkon Portable Fold-Up Stand for Apple iPad, Galaxy Tab, BlackBerry Play Book: Computers & Accessories
    09-01-12 05:47 PM
    General advice: if you don't need the cradle/dock/stand capability, then the other one is going to be a more reliable choice because of the nature of the connector.

The cradle/dock is more rigid and suffers more from the problem where one of the pins may not make a sufficiently solid connection, resulting in the flaky charging scenario.

Both isn't a bad idea. I have one of each charger (the standard USB one, USB cable from PC, the "travel" rapid charger, the rapid charging dock/cradle, and also the car charger) and use the two rapid chargers most often. Aside from the design flaw with the sometimes-lowered pin, they're actually both very good products.
    garlee likes this.
    09-01-12 09:26 PM
    Want to thank all who replied. Just came back from Radioshack. They had the travel rapid charger for $14.97 on clearance. Only one left. Got that and now will get a stand, like bighap recommended. If I can find another cheap rapid charger, may get that too.
    09-04-12 11:07 PM
    Travel rapid charger is the way to go
    09-04-12 11:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD