Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone has experienced the phenomena where the PlayBook fails to charge on a rapid charger if plugged in when the battery is below 10%. This seems to be the case for me. I have gotten to the point where I just use the standard wall charger if it ever gets really low, especially since we all know you can't trust the rapid charger after a few months of use.

Anyone else experience this?
    08-17-12 12:24 AM
    I've had no reports (out of a few thousand users of Battery Guru) of anything like that before.
    08-17-12 09:28 AM
    Not here OP I can recharge at any level with my rapid charger. But I will let my PlayBook completely die then try and get back to you.
    08-17-12 09:35 AM
    The only thing I've noticed is that the "tail" of the charger head must point to the right otherwise I get a charging symbol but no charging. Never had a problem when really low though.
    08-17-12 09:37 AM
    I routinely let mine drain into the single digits and don't have an issue.
    08-17-12 09:44 AM
    The only thing I've noticed is that the "tail" of the charger head must point to the right otherwise I get a charging symbol but no charging. Never had a problem when really low though.
    I have noticed the same thing. I cannot get the rapid charger to work at all with the wire off to the left.
    With the wire to the right I let the magnet pull in the charger with that "snap". If I get a lightning bolt and no charge I press on the wire so the charger tilts but doesn't loose the magnetic hold. After I release it works.
    08-17-12 09:50 AM
    Sometimes mine isn't charging and it has nothing to do with which way the tail is facing. I don't let mine get that low.
    08-17-12 09:52 AM
    I have noticed the same thing. I cannot get the rapid charger to work at all with the wire off to the left.
    With the wire to the right I let the magnet pull in the charger with that "snap". If I get a lightning bolt and no charge I press on the wire so the charger tilts but doesn't loose the magnetic hold. After I release it works.
    Since I have my pb in an Otterbox, I can only attach with the wire running to the left. The case interferes with the wire running to the right. I can almost reliably get the False Lightning Bolt if I attach it with the wire to the right because it makes contact with two of the pins but not the third.

Does yours have a LOW pin in the plug?

Both the travel and dock versions need better quality control on the spring loaded pins.
    08-17-12 10:18 AM
    My low pin is the right pin looking at it with the wire to the right.

Did you see the contacts on the 4G PlayBook? They are flat instead of concave like the wifi version. I wonder if it would be possible to add a small drop of solder to the contact pin on the PB to make it a little longer. I don't know if the solder would stick.
    Last edited by Chaddface; 08-17-12 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Correction
    08-17-12 10:24 AM
    I just used a wood toothpick to clean the contacts. Pushing with moderate pressure on the PB contacts the toothpick point flattened to fit the concave portion. The end of the toothpick turned black so it most have removed some oxidation. Using the toothpick even on the charger contacts made them noticeably brighter. I used a new toothpick point on each contact. The end result is the charger now works in both directions and every time. We'll, about 10 times I tried without a failure. Better then it ever was.
    Last edited by Chaddface; 08-17-12 at 10:46 AM.
    08-17-12 10:38 AM
    They changed the pins recently so they are now flat and not concave. An eraser works well for cleaning contacts. Think I'll do that when I get home.

For me it can work or not either direction.
    08-17-12 10:43 AM
    I tried the eraser first but I didn't feel like I was doing much. I just kept spinning toothpicks on the contact until the toothpick stopped turning black. I tried the same method on my wife's PB and got the same result. It works every time.
    I had stopped using my dock all together because it would fail 10 times before I would see charge. After cleaning the contacts on the dock it worked 9/10 times. Give it a try.
    Just Me likes this.
    08-17-12 10:50 AM
    Toothpick it is.
    madman0141 likes this.
    08-17-12 10:53 AM
    At 34% and dropping will attempt to charge at 9%.
    08-17-12 11:44 AM
    Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone has experienced the phenomena where the PlayBook fails to charge on a rapid charger if plugged in when the battery is below 10%. This seems to be the case for me. I have gotten to the point where I just use the standard wall charger if it ever gets really low, especially since we all know you can't trust the rapid charger after a few months of use.

Anyone else experience this?
    I've noticed this. I never trust the charging stand if the PB is below 10%. I always default to the USB wall charger. I noticed on pictures of the dev alfa 2 indentations on the bottom edge which look similar to the 9900 style charging points.

If I was designing future BBs I would stick with the 2 contact point system and use a magnet to center and align the device on the charging stand. This could potentially lead to a uniform charging stand which accepts both phones and tablets.
    08-17-12 12:33 PM
    My low pin is at the wire side. Probably time to clean the contacts, too.
    08-17-12 01:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD