Hey guys and gals,

So I have noticed that sometimes when I open a new application, others I have open sometimes close on their own. Also, if I have a whole bunch of apps open or even just a couple, when I go into one app for a while and then try to switch to the other, I find it too has randomly closed. Also try to open apps sometimes doesn't work and I have to rest my PlayBook. I have experienced this a couple of times on my iphone too, so I'm wondering do you think I need a new PlayBook or have other people experienced this and maybe it's a software glitch pending updating.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

The mage.
    03-30-12 01:57 AM
    Its a bug, lets pray there is an update soon.
    03-30-12 04:36 AM
    I think it's something with the memory management. Or in case of the browser it might be the javascript engine.
    03-30-12 05:30 AM
    The browser is full featured but a real memory hog with Flash and javascript, HTML5, GL et al.
    03-30-12 06:07 AM
    Any android or side loaded android apps?
    03-30-12 06:33 AM
    Hey guys and gals,

So I have noticed that sometimes when I open a new application, others I have open sometimes close on their own. Also, if I have a whole bunch of apps open or even just a couple, when I go into one app for a while and then try to switch to the other, I find it too has randomly closed. Also try to open apps sometimes doesn't work and I have to rest my PlayBook. I have experienced this a couple of times on my iphone too, so I'm wondering do you think I need a new PlayBook or have other people experienced this and maybe it's a software glitch pending updating.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

The mage.
    As others have said, it's a bug in OS2 that will (hopefully) be resolved in an update (soon).

OS2 seems to suffer from memory leaking away due to misbehaving apps not releasing resources properly. Eventually, you have so little free memory that new apps can't open (because they can't grab enough memory) or existing apps go "poof" (because they need some more memory and can't get it).

Android apps seem to be a common cause of the problem, but nobody really knows for sure what's to blame.

Quite a few are having problems with the OS2 browser going "poof", which may have the same underlying "memory" cause.

A workaround until RIM fix this is to restart the PB. It refills the memory tub.

That seems to work for a while, then the problem returns. So restart again.
    03-30-12 06:42 AM
    Ahah, so I wasn't far off the mark or going crazy afterall. Thanks for all the responses I really appreciate the help. I hope they do update it soon, since ill be using my PlayBook in college to take notes etc and don't want it to go poof and close any apps I'm using when in class. That really would push me more into the ios camp. Already there with my Mac and iphone so RIM better update this soon...
    03-30-12 10:28 PM
    Bla1ze has commented the latest build being tested seems to have fixed the closing issue. So maybe soon.
    03-30-12 10:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD