Okay, after posting and reposting this message under many different guises over the past few weeks, let me open a thread specifically to try to get it across once and for all. We all know the Playbook is ultimately doomed (but realistically we obviously knew that from the start, as products have shelf-lives and two years technically isnt so bad a run in these device infested times).
    The obviously highly talented pcshun recently proved quite conclusively not only that there is still a lot of room for improvement on the Playbook (which we already knew), but also that you can actually can set out and code an app to improve upon the situation, as he has shown us with his excellent Origami browser.
    Its my belief (and as its a belief, you shouldnt judge me too harshly!) that the only way to save the Playbook (by which I mean: prolong its lifespan a little) is to rally around as a community and create an environment thats welcoming and friendly to anyone brave enough to still develop apps for the Playbook. We neednt necessarily be looking at full-fledged endeavors like the Origami browser (although they would be welcomed also, obviously), but they could be much simpler apps, addressing smaller problems. And the best part is, that everybody can join in. As coding actually is supposed to be fun, now, strangely enough, is a good time to start, as the potential gratitude of the community might well be enough of a reward.
    My proposal would simply be: let the remaining devs in our community please continue to develop and maybe guide the newbies starting out in this wonderful world of Playbook coding. Let beginners at coding try their best at writing their own apps and let us all be gentle when judging the results. And simply put, let us prolong the life of the Playbook by creating an environment suitable to sustaining such a life in the first place
    FF22 and dmlis like this.
    09-09-13 04:53 AM
    I might just quickly add, that based on discussions in the so-called "Action" thread, I've sent the proposal to Blackberry to place the default apps into the "open source". Should they go for that (and no, I don't think its very likely) trained developers are obviously wanted even more...
    09-09-13 04:59 AM
    Guess you have never written code?

Nice idea, zero chance of it happening. Developers like to make money so they can feed their families. I don't blame them.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-09-13 06:52 AM
    Okay, after posting and reposting this message under many different guises over the past few weeks, let me open a thread specifically to try to get it across once and for all. We all know the Playbook is ultimately doomed (but realistically we obviously knew that from the start, as products have shelf-lives and two years technically isnt so bad a run in these device infested times).
    The obviously highly talented pcshun recently proved quite conclusively not only that there is still a lot of room for improvement on the Playbook (which we already knew), but also that you can actually can set out and code an app to improve upon the situation, as he has shown us with his excellent Origami browser.
    Its my belief (and as its a belief, you shouldnt judge me too harshly!) that the only way to save the Playbook (by which I mean: prolong its lifespan a little) is to rally around as a community and create an environment thats welcoming and friendly to anyone brave enough to still develop apps for the Playbook. We neednt necessarily be looking at full-fledged endeavors like the Origami browser (although they would be welcomed also, obviously), but they could be much simpler apps, addressing smaller problems. And the best part is, that everybody can join in. As coding actually is supposed to be fun, now, strangely enough, is a good time to start, as the potential gratitude of the community might well be enough of a reward.
    My proposal would simply be: let the remaining devs in our community please continue to develop and maybe guide the newbies starting out in this wonderful world of Playbook coding. Let beginners at coding try their best at writing their own apps and let us all be gentle when judging the results. And simply put, let us prolong the life of the Playbook by creating an environment suitable to sustaining such a life in the first place
    Why not try GERONIMO! Works for me?
    09-09-13 09:27 AM
    As another shoutout, Bumble2000 (forgive me if I got the number wrong), just released a new Voice Recorder app. (not that appworld is helping since you canNOT buy it at the moment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). Advanced Camera is another terrific piece of work.

Kalemsoft somehow managed to play formats "beyond" the pb's ability.

I remember the HPLX Palmtop forum. One of the experienced programmers offered a C (I don't recall if it had ++'s) tutorial in the forum and a few new apps were developed by those following along.

There are also some developers who still maintain a warm spot for the PB.

If nothing else, we are a captive audience.
    09-09-13 09:30 AM
    Guess you have never written code?

Nice idea, zero chance of it happening. Developers like to make money so they can feed their families. I don't blame them.
    That's true, but a lot of developers also like coding for fun/to help whatever community they happen to be a part of.
    Edit: I mean as a hobby, rather than as a job
    sad_old_man likes this.
    09-09-13 11:41 AM
    As another shoutout, Bumble2000 (forgive me if I got the number wrong), just released a new Voice Recorder app. (not that appworld is helping since you canNOT buy it at the moment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). Advanced Camera is another terrific piece of work.

Kalemsoft somehow managed to play formats "beyond" the pb's ability.

I remember the HPLX Palmtop forum. One of the experienced programmers offered a C (I don't recall if it had ++'s) tutorial in the forum and a few new apps were developed by those following along.

There are also some developers who still maintain a warm spot for the PB.

If nothing else, we are a captive audience.
    Oh your so right! How can you resist that cats piercing blue eyes? He's adorable!
    09-09-13 11:49 AM
    well, why don't some people make their code public on github then or offer to help the newbies.
    09-09-13 01:40 PM
    Other awesome developers that keep supporting the playbook are sporadicsoftware (pdf reader app), jesus iglesias (playepub), travisredpath (neogeo emulators) and Bumble(fast browser) . Talented devs like them can save the playbook.
    FF22 likes this.
    09-09-13 01:54 PM
    Interesting post; what strikes me is that you mention that there could be "simpler" apps to tackle "smaller" problems - I feel it would be helpful to have a list of suggestions of these "smaller" problems requiring "simpler" apps, so that less experienced coders (e.g. me) could perhaps take a stab at some of them? I have a severe lack of motivation to improve my coding skills, and having a real project to work on would probably help that a fair bit.
    09-09-13 06:03 PM
    BANSHEE!!!!!! That's another good one as well?
    09-10-13 09:45 AM