I LOVE this thing. Too expensive, but they didn't make it cheap that's for sure. What I like about it;

- It's sturdy. I don't have to worry about my PB wobbling out or tipping if I bump it.

- It's really easy to take the PB in and out of this thing. I've had it open for email and music all day while I work. When I go downstairs to check the mail, or go potty, or get lunch, it's super easy to just pick up and go. It's also really easy to set it back in. Doesn't take any adjusting or maneuvering.

- It really does charge the PB much faster! Not quite twice as fast, but I was at about 14% battery by 2PM, It's at 97% now. Two hours, but still way faster than the other charger.

What I DON'T like about it? Honestly the only con I can think of is that the cord is too short for my specific needs (I have to run it along the wall to get to outlet). And I fixed that almost immediately with a spare I had that was 6" longer.

btw - before you get all horrified, that's glare on the bezel, not scratches =)
    04-22-11 07:10 PM
    That looks like a nice set up!
    04-22-11 07:12 PM
    I agree its over priced but I like mine also and might have to get another for work.
    04-22-11 07:13 PM
    where did you get yours? im still waiting for the one i preordered from crackberry months ago.
    04-22-11 07:20 PM
    Best Buy. Only place out of TWO Best Buys in town that had them, and they only had two.
    04-22-11 07:31 PM
    I just ordered mine from shopblackberry.com, my only concern is that I hope my case i got doesn't interfere with it
    04-22-11 09:11 PM
    That looks like an Apple keyboard ... that's just wrong!
    04-22-11 09:14 PM
    i agree this is a much purchase, the price is high though but damm its fast.
    04-22-11 09:15 PM
    Best Buy. Only place out of TWO Best Buys in town that had them, and they only had two.
    That is very odd. Nobody has these yet and they aren't even being released until May 10.
    04-26-11 06:49 AM
    That is very odd. Nobody has these yet and they aren't even being released until May 10.
    I know pretty much all the best buy's near my house and my work have these in stock. The one near my work had 4 the last time i checked. I've been debating it, just not sure i want to spend the extra $!
    04-26-11 06:54 AM
    My Best Buy had 2. Had I known they were so hard to get, I probably would have purchased it. I bought the conversion case which is going right back. The volume and power buttons are too hard to press in the case. It also seems like taking it in and out would cause the case to loosen up. Too much money for that to happen.
    04-26-11 06:56 AM
    Like someone mentioned, since it connects at the bottom where the HDMI mini connector is, too bad it didn't include an HDMI port on the back.
    04-26-11 07:07 AM
    i found two at Staples, last Friday April 22nd, bought both. Here is a little mod RIM should implement on future versions of PB, either an additional vertical charging port or just a notch so one can place the playbook in the stand vertically for use. Not a big deal but it would have been a nice touch.

I am not sure about something with the power charger. I have on two occasions left it in the stand overnight and found the battery at 0 or at 12%. Both times i thought i had just left it there and not used the hard-sleep button, the second time i am positive it was not put in sleep. Anyone else seeing this overnight battery drain on the power charger???
    04-26-11 07:20 AM

I am not sure about something with the power charger. I have on two occasions left it in the stand overnight and found the battery at 0 or at 12%. Both times i thought i had just left it there and not used the hard-sleep button, the second time i am positive it was not put in sleep. Anyone else seeing this overnight battery drain on the power charger???
    I bet it wasn't in the stand properly. Easy to miss the charging contacts. Also. you can not turn it off or put the pb to hard-sleep in the stand. It is always on or in standby.
    04-26-11 07:37 AM
    I'm actually taking mine back to the store today. I picked it up last week and over the weekend I bought a folio case for my PB. That means that if I want to use the carging pod, I have to take the PB out of the case.

Personally I don't mind the extra time to charge off of the stock charger, but I can see how some would. I would just rather not have to constantly take my PB out of the case and put it back in, because I know myself, and eventually I will just stop putting it in the case.
    04-26-11 07:40 AM
    Anyone tried using this with the Blackberry Skin Case on it? Will it fit?
    04-26-11 07:41 AM
    Anyone tried using this with the Blackberry Skin Case on it? Will it fit?
    I've been on the fence for getting one, so I went to bestbuy to see if it would fit with my skin on , it doesn't (had an employee unbox it for me to check it out) . Maybe in the future we will see some different model charging pods.

This is the skin I have in case you want to compare size, there just wasn't enough room. Amazon.com: Blackberry Playbook Hard Skin Case Cover with bonus MiniSuit LCD cleaner: Clothing
    04-26-11 09:53 AM
    What I wish for the stand is that it had a USB port so that I could plug my BB into it for charging at the same time as the PB.

It'd also be great if HDMI out worked while in the stand...but it seems that's not in the cards.
    04-26-11 10:17 AM
    I love mine but the biggest problem with it in my mind is the fact that it covers up the HDMI (and USB) port(s). It should have a docking port out the back that allows you to plug in USB/HDMI connectors to the back of the charging port and then simply slide the PlayBook into the slot. I suspect they'll get there in release two of the thing. I quite like her setup... that Apple keyboard is just so bent. :-)
    04-26-11 10:23 AM
    I got one yesterday, and the silly thing is defective - it doesn't charge the PB.

I'm not going to get another one because it blocks the USB port so it cannot charge and be connected to the PC at the same time. Perhaps RIM will fix this problem and I'll be able to use one in the future.
    04-26-11 10:44 AM
    I got one yesterday, and the silly thing is defective - it doesn't charge the PB.
    It's not a defect, the charging feature just hasn't been enabled yet. A firmware update should fix this in Q3.
    04-26-11 11:29 AM
    Mine charges just fine, and it's FAST too!

When I'm traveling, I'll be keeping this in an otter box. But I'll be on the road for about 60 days so I won't have to do frequent swaps with the case, I won't be using it during the road trip.

Right now, my PB is either in the dock, in my hand, or in the neoprene case (which I love) it came with so for me, it's no issue that it won't fit with a case on. Plus I love using it to show slideshows or watch videos or update my blog (Alaska to Puerto Rico, shameless plug).
    04-26-11 12:19 PM
    Questions:

1. Does it charge with the BLACKBERRY RIM made Skin case. Not 3rd party cases.
    2. Can you put your torch on this to charge.
    04-26-11 02:25 PM
    Questions:

2. Can you put your torch on this to charge.
    Definitely can't put your torch on it..the torch has its own charging pod and doesn't have charging contacts - it basically slides into a micro usb plug on the pod.
    04-26-11 02:27 PM

It's not a defect, the charging feature just hasn't been enabled yet. A firmware update should fix this in Q3.

I think you have been misinformed about this product. First of all, it has been on sale on the Blackberry site officially since the PlayBook launched. Besides just online, the product has been on sale (although not necessarily in stock since its a hot item) at most retailers that are carrying the PlayBook (i.e. Staples, Best Buy). Secondly, the charging feature does work, just fine for most of us, except maybe that defective unit.

I bought two from Staples after multiple best buy stores that i checked were sold out. The funny thing is that the Staples store i went to had MANY of them. i agree with others, it was quite an oversight to not have made this more like a dock and include the hdmi output. maybe a third party will make a dual charger for a blackberry phone and playbook. i know theres one for the ipad/iphone.
    Last edited by 2001bmw330xi; 04-27-11 at 12:28 AM.
    04-26-11 03:44 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD