Hey guys,

Quick qn here. I've been following lots of the smartphone/pb news but somehow missed if any native email client and bbm software has been released to the public for the pb? Sorry I really have tried googling for this info but am srsly confused with this "2.0 developer beta"... does that have native email/calendar/bbm? Can public access it?
    If not, was a date released at devcon? because from what I understood, it was supposed to be...
    Was thinking of picking a pb out for my dad for X'mas.. so wanted to know.

Cheers!
    Nash
    10-23-11 05:11 PM
    Quick answer: no. Not released, not announced.
    The 2.0 OS is a developer beta, and while you could install it, if you're not familiar with what you're doing, you won't be successful with using it.
    10-23-11 05:17 PM
    NO dates were mentioned. And I do not believe they've offered any of the native stuff in a public beta.
    10-23-11 05:18 PM
    And to clarify "developer beta": I really think people should treat this as a beta version for developers to use for testing their own apps. That may not be obvious from the term, but there are almost no new features visible in this version which you could actually test in the OS itself. Aside from home screen ("navigator") changes to support folders, you will see almost nothing to test and even some things missing (like Video Chat).

The real release will have email and BBM and other things, but don't consider this to be a beta of that release...
    10-23-11 06:47 PM
    Hey Nash, yeah there wasn't a date for the full release of OS 2.0 to the public. As previous people have said, the OS 2.0 Beta is only for developers who know what they're doing (and there's a lot of bugs with it while it's being prepped for the full public release) but even the Beta doesn't have Calender, or Contacts.

Some people have said 2.0 will be out mid November at the earliest and should include calendar and contacts. I would hope they are out before christmas for your dad, but keep coming back to see where things are, and i'm sure there'll be more sales before Christmas as well!

Although some things are lacking right now, Devcon gives me hope of lots of good things to come, so I'm sure your dad will love the benefits the BB PB has and will have soon.

Cheers,
    Jordan
    10-23-11 07:27 PM
    Hey guys,

Thx a lot. What a bummer.. No disrespect to my dad but I think he'd struggle with a buggy platform..he wldnt know what to do if it crashed.. Well I guess at least there's a possibility it could still be a suitable gift if all gets sorted by end Nov right? Fingers crossd!!..

Jordandres90,
    Devcon was mildly exciting I thought.. I mean I m rly looking forward to see BBX in action after their keynote "discussion" on stage about it but other than that, I guess it was just a lot about "developer know-how" for most of it... Altho that could be good too, cos loadsa under the hood improvements could just mean a more solid foundation to build a future platform on.

Staying optimistic here lol.

Cheers.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-23-11 08:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD