Hello,

My PB came with only a UK USB charger. While I've managed to charge it via my Mac using a double USB cable I'm thinking the quick charger that uses the magnetic port would be a nice addition. Are there 3rd party versions out there that are less expensive than the original charger? Or is that 3 pin port not simply a +,-,N design but something that's under licence?
    09-26-12 03:10 AM
    Trying searching online (ebay, amazon etc) for deals. The BlackBerry rapid travel charger (3-pin connector) has been for sale for as low as $12 USD. Shipping for you might be an issue, but maybe not.

For example:

Amazon.com: Blackberry Rapid Travel Charger for Playbook - Retail Packaging - Black: Computers & Accessories
    madman0141 likes this.
    09-26-12 04:10 AM
    Thanks ... Believe me I searched before asking and only found it upwards of 45� which is a bit steep in my opinion.
    09-26-12 04:16 AM
    As a matter of fact, how does charging work over the USB port? I just noticed that the charge had dropped to about 98% with the PB connected to my Motorola charger (delivers 550mA max) while I wasn't even doing more than a tiny bit of browsing.
    Now my Mac laptops have all used a scheme where they seem to run (partly) off the battery even when connected to the mains, resulting in a bit of charging once every so often. Does the PB do a similar thing, or does it really need more than those 550mA under normal operation?
    09-26-12 06:13 AM
    I bought my travel charger from amazon.fr back when it was on sale for 25€.
    | BlackBerry - ACC-39341 - Chargeur secteur pour PlayBook - 12 V
    I took a quick look (by googling the word "prix" and the model name "ACC-39341") and it appears that prices have jumped in France. I have never noticed an equivalent third party charger.

There is also the charging stand. People have reported problems with the contacts not quite making contact, though.
    | BlackBerry - ACC-39340 - Chargeur secteur avec support pour PlayBook
    The travel charger is probably the best way to charge the PB.

You could just use a UK-to-France plug adapter for the USB charger delivered with your PB. They are inexpensive, for example, perhaps something like this:
    | Neon - Adaptateur Secteur UK/US vers prise Europe/FR/DE

But be careful with any USB charging cable. It is easy to break the USB plug on the PB by forcing the plug with the cable upside down. There are many reports in this forum of this problem. See this post for an excellent explanation of the situations, with diagrams:
    | http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ml#post7062518

Peter Hansen wrote a utility "Battery Guru" that measures PlayBook power use and monitors battery life. Here is his summary of power consumption:
    | PlayBook: Power Consumption

He posts in these forums, and you could read some of his posts, especially his earlier posts, such as:
    | http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...2/#post7402528
    "Charging with USB is fine if the PlayBook is in standby. It's the screen being on which sucks so much power that the USB port can't keep up. Even with screen off, however, it will take about 12h to charge fully, from empty."
    | http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...6/#post6931987
    Last edited by VerryBestr; 09-26-12 at 07:24 AM.
    FF22 and DC506 like this.
    09-26-12 07:21 AM
    I believe that the BBPB manual says: insert the charger with the Blackberry symbol up , that is on screen side. This puts the standard USB symbol which according to Wiki report on standards is supposed to be on the top side of the plug down. Thus in a sense the plug is inserted upside down. In any event check the manual and don't force it. Since the connection hub is USB micro type ab its shape does not offer guidance but if you look inside and compare with the plug end you should be able to double check and also visually check the condition of the connection. By the way the BBPB uses about 3 or so watts in normal operation. This figures out to about 800 milliamps so there was no way your charger could keep up.
    Last edited by jpash549bb; 09-26-12 at 10:39 AM.
    09-26-12 10:33 AM
    Think I'd continue to charge with the charger that came with it until the rapid charger comes back on sale. I managed to grab one for $19.99 awhile back from WalMart but prices have gone back up (wish I'd grabbed 2 ). Sure hope you manage to find one soon cuz it makes things so much easier and I don't worry about plugging the usb in (and accidentally breaking it) any more.
    09-26-12 11:15 AM
    Thanks for all the replies. I noticed the USB port doesn't offer as secure a fit as I'm accustomed to on my phones and Archos tablet, but fortunately I've long ago made it a reflex never to force a connector so as long as the port itself is robust and well enough mounted I should be fine

Pity there's no 3rd party version as I fully agree that this charger is the best option. I'd invest in the charging stand if it replicated the other ports. Without that I don't really see the point...

I'll see if I can get a cheap UK->EU adapter. Ought to do while I figure out what kind of usage I'll be giving the PB. With a bit of luck it'll be like my iTouch which I usually only put on a charger at night.

Edit: what about this device? http://www.gomadic.com/blackberry-pl...c-charger.html
    Last edited by rxoom; 09-26-12 at 04:20 PM.
    09-26-12 04:06 PM
    i got the wall charger with mine (bought new from currys/pc world) but got my free rapid travel charger from RIM

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Crackberry app
    09-26-12 04:08 PM
    Free rapid travel charger? How did you pull that off??
    09-26-12 04:55 PM
    Phoned RIM, told them about my original charger that completely stopped working, they sent me out a rapid charger free of charge, but im in my 1 year warranty
    09-26-12 05:21 PM
    Thanks for all the replies. I noticed the USB port doesn't offer as secure a fit as I'm accustomed to on my phones and Archos tablet, but fortunately I've long ago made it a reflex never to force a connector so as long as the port itself is robust and well enough mounted I should be fine

Pity there's no 3rd party version as I fully agree that this charger is the best option. I'd invest in the charging stand if it replicated the other ports. Without that I don't really see the point...

I'll see if I can get a cheap UK->EU adapter. Ought to do while I figure out what kind of usage I'll be giving the PB. With a bit of luck it'll be like my iTouch which I usually only put on a charger at night.

Edit: what about this device? International Wall Charger for Blackberry Playbook Tablet
    That device looks like it would work but it more expensive than just an adapter/shape plug. But it also sounds as if this device provides more power than some adapters.

The DOCK is more limited then the Travel version.
    09-26-12 06:07 PM
    Phoned RIM, told them about my original charger that completely stopped working, they sent me out a rapid charger free of charge, but im in my 1 year warranty
    No questions asked (or did it indeed stop working)?

Me too I'm supposed to be in warranty AND in the 90 day support period. I don't have the original purchase papers though, bought the device off ebay from someone who got it for eval purposes. Are those papers indispensable for claims?
    09-27-12 03:07 AM
    sure they was questions, but simple ones like, where did i buy it, what date, am i signed up for RIM support ect. needed to send picture of my receipt to them aswell. and yep it really was broken

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Crackberry app
    09-27-12 06:47 AM
    Today I just grabbed a rapid charger off play.com (their marketplace) for �19.99. After reading so many good things bout it i've decided to grab it for both of our PBs. Official version is around �45, ebay �31, Amazon �27.70 (delivered) - then spotted this on play.

Other places range from around �35-ish. There doesn't seem to be any great bargains on this charger around the UK or the web delivered to the UK. So to save a few quid...i'm happy!

I now have the full set - the original charger, dock, and the rapid! My word it's worse than my wife's shoe collection!?!
    09-27-12 10:04 AM
    Trying searching online (ebay, amazon etc) for deals. The BlackBerry rapid travel charger (3-pin connector) has been for sale for as low as $12 USD. Shipping for you might be an issue, but maybe not.

For example:

Amazon.com: Blackberry Rapid Travel Charger for Playbook - Retail Packaging - Black: Computers & Accessories
    Gazoo is right about that charger. The knockoffs are no where near as good. I found who get what you pay for with RIM accessories.
    09-27-12 10:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD