Hi Crackberry. I'm planning to do a security wipe to change the Blackberry ID on my new Playbook (latest update). I have a few questions.

1) I've read one or two threads about the "bricking", and that it can be fixed if I go through an extra few steps. My question is: Are those problems frequent?

2) After a security wipe, some users found that they're missing all the icons/apps on their playbooks. Does that happen to every security wipe?

3) Does a security wipe restore my playbook to factory settings? Basically I'll have to go through the steps as if it's the first time powering it on. Correct?

Thanks.
    12-19-11 11:26 PM
    I did it about 2 weeks ago with no ill affects. You will lose the hd demo video (turtle). I had to go through the tutorials and the user agreements and the bbid.

I did not lose any icons. Some folks "overseas" might lose some of the ones related to content but I'm not sure of that.

I did have to restore 20gigs of data and lots of apps. I lost all of my settings since I did not have a reasonable back up. That's why I did the wipe - Desktop Manager would not back up my device.

You will need access to wifi so make sure you have that.

Good luck
    12-19-11 11:38 PM
    Hi Crackberry. I'm planning to do a security wipe to change the Blackberry ID on my new Playbook (latest update). I have a few questions.

1) I've read one or two threads about the "bricking", and that it can be fixed if I go through an extra few steps. My question is: Are those problems frequent?

2) After a security wipe, some users found that they're missing all the icons/apps on their playbooks. Does that happen to every security wipe?

3) Does a security wipe restore my playbook to factory settings? Basically I'll have to go through the steps as if it's the first time powering it on. Correct?

Thanks.
    to add to F2 advice, to minimize bricking, ensure your PB is fully charged and placed next to your WiFI modem to acquire 5 bars or min 4 bars of signal strength if possible.

"Bricking" sometimes occur due wipe process being forcefully interrupted caused by battery dying or lost WiFI connection in the middle of the process.

If haven't already done so, you may like to visit blackberry.com to search security wipe process article to ensure all the steps are followed

Good luck
    12-19-11 11:48 PM
    I've done the security wipe on both my Playbooks because I wanted to change the BB I.D...
    ...I had no issues with either one when I did it.
    ...The worst thing I had to do was go through the video training, again.
    ...Aside from that it was cake.
    Last edited by pythons; 12-28-11 at 04:16 PM.
    12-20-11 12:01 AM
    ...The worst thing I had to do was go through the video training, again.
    I did 4 security wipes on my old PB that did not solve my brick issue before RIM agrees to replace with a new one

I agree with the tedious video training after each security wipe, like listening to the almost similar aircraft safety message before every take off, (not down playing importance of flight safety)
    12-20-11 12:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD