So I ordered a new router (Linksys e3200) to replace my current one (wrt160n) mainly because of the performance and the new one is dual band. So my question is, does the Playbook work with the 5Ghz band? Or will I still be having to use the 2.4 GHz band?

And also for those of you who have the e3200, how is the performance? Is the range good enough for a 2 story house? Maintain good signal on a second floor or basement?

Thanks for your input in advance, I greatly appreciate it
    07-21-12 10:22 PM
    I picked up a new router a few weeks ago. I got a netgear dual band 2.4/5 ghz, the playbook connected immediately and I haven't had any issues. With my old 2.4ghz I would constantly have to reset the PB and router due to lost connection.
    luqman24 likes this.
    07-21-12 11:38 PM
    Dido it has been awesome, I recently bought an Asus n66u and it has had no problems controlling my stereo from the back yard, great investment. Also runs great on the inlaws network 5ghz or 2.4. Dlink
    luqman24 likes this.
    07-21-12 11:56 PM
    Ok perfect. And based on the online reviews I had no choice but to take advantage of the great offer. And if the signal isn't good enough in the basement which I doubt, I'll just buy a repeater. Thanks guys!
    Last edited by luqman24; 07-22-12 at 12:20 AM.
    07-22-12 12:18 AM
    I picked up a new router a few weeks ago. I got a netgear dual band 2.4/5 ghz, the playbook connected immediately and I haven't had any issues. With my old 2.4ghz I would constantly have to reset the PB and router due to lost connection.
    I've had this issue as well where the connection would disappear for about a minute and then come back. The odd thing is that my other devices as well as my iPhone would still be connected except for my Playbook. Im guessing it's a software bug but hopefully not and that connecting to the 5ghz band would fix the problem.
    07-22-12 02:43 AM
    I have a dual band router(linksys wrt 610N), I connect most of my gear through the 2.4 band, my laptop and PB are the only things utilizing the 5ghz band and have not had a single problem with my PB or laptop loosing connection. PB is rock solid on my wifi, and the range is great too. Use to use the 2.4 band for my PB and it would drop out all the time, this could have been due to having too many connections, but never tested that theory.
    luqman24 and Scotter75 like this.
    07-22-12 02:58 AM
    There's a checkbox in the WiFi settings for 'dualband' on Playbook. Remember to check that because I think it's off by default.
    luqman24 and KermEd like this.
    07-22-12 05:50 AM
    I replaced an older linksys with the e3200. No problems and I have more control of router settings with the new one. Although I will admit I really did not have pb problems with the older one but did have, ahem, a torrent of problems with the older one!
    luqman24 likes this.
    07-22-12 08:34 AM
    There's a checkbox in the WiFi settings for 'dualband' on Playbook. Remember to check that because I think it's off by default.
    For me it's a drop down box and it's selected by default but thanks for the heads up
    07-22-12 03:10 PM
    The drop-down for dual band should not be used because the e3200 has dual radios, 5 and 2.4 bands, and provides essentially dual access points. You use one access point if you want to use the 5 GHz band and the other access point for 2.4.

I purchased both my e3200s because reviews show it has the best throughput speed at furthest distances. My two routers are bridged with powerline network adapters in different areas of my house for spectacular range.

Note that the 5 GHz band allows faster throughput but less "punching power" through walls. If I get slow speeds at very large long distances, I connect PB to the 2.4 band.

If/when you buy, ensure you get a version 1 e3200 as the v2 contains a different, worse chipset. Check out amazon used items for the best deal and the better chipset.
    luqman24 likes this.
    07-22-12 08:24 PM
    I've got a dual-band Netgear router as well. The PlayBook has no problem connecting to 5 ghz, but for some reason the 2.4 ghz band appears to come in stronger, which is probably due to what llamax said.
    07-22-12 09:35 PM
    I've got a dual-band Netgear router as well. The PlayBook has no problem connecting to 5 ghz, but for some reason the 2.4 ghz band appears to come in stronger, which is probably due to what llamax said.
    My router is located in the living room and my room is located in the bottom floor. The throughput speed in my room is inconsistent but the signal is pretty good. I have a 25Mbp connection and sometimes it's really slow to the point where it struggles to stream 480p videos and other times its really fast. Hopefully this new router will be a lot better.
    07-23-12 12:23 PM
    The drop-down for dual band should not be used because the e3200 has dual radios, 5 and 2.4 bands, and provides essentially dual access points. You use one access point if you want to use the 5 GHz band and the other access point for 2.4.

I purchased both my e3200s because reviews show it has the best throughput speed at furthest distances. My two routers are bridged with powerline network adapters in different areas of my house for spectacular range.

Note that the 5 GHz band allows faster throughput but less "punching power" through walls. If I get slow speeds at very large long distances, I connect PB to the 2.4 band.

If/when you buy, ensure you get a version 1 e3200 as the v2 contains a different, worse chipset. Check out amazon used items for the best deal and the better chipset.
    Ok so my new router (refurbished actually) got delivered to my house this morning and so far im loving it. Great range, speed, and performance and the 5Ghz band works with my Playbook flawlessly. It's connected to an Xbox, laptop, iPad, 4 smartphones, and a Playbook and so far no hiccups. One problem though, I read somewhere that the Cisco logo is supposed to light up, but I noticed that mine isn't lighting up. Is yours lit up or no?
    Last edited by luqman24; 07-24-12 at 08:12 PM.
    07-24-12 08:10 PM
    5ghz works great. 2.4 works great but most residential homes have a lot of traffic on this.

I run three AP's in my home, one central set to 5ghz.

One thing to mention, I have done bandwidth testing quite extensively with my PB. I have found speed differences between security modes - where the difference is worse the older the OS and depending on the router. The issues generally seem to be router driven however up-to-date OS shows much smaller differences in bandwidfh

But if you have issues try changing from AES to TKIP using WEP2/WPA2 Personal. Avoid WEP1 at all costs (major security risk, anyone can break your code).

If you want a true dedicated 2.4ghz and 5.0ghz (many cheapo dual band only operate on one band at a time) I recommend buying a chwapo dlink. Killing 2.4 in your home will kill your wireless A/B/G devices (i.e. your BB phone) and its easy to add both. Switch the generic 30 dollar dlink router into an AP using the same network as your main. Disable all port forwarding on dlink. Disable DHCP on dlink. Force set the IP to an allowed IP per your primary router (i.e. 192.18.1.100). Enable wireless WPA2 Personal using AES and a custom pin. Set wireless to 5ghz only - wide band. Make sure to use the same SSID as your main router and same passcode. Specify a higher channel number if you can (use INSSIDer to find out what channels are busy). Specify that static IP from your main router to the MAC of your 30 dollar dlink. You now have a cheap 5.0ghz AP from a cheapo router to extend your network without needing to remove your current one - keeping your 2.4 and 5.0 functionally separate.
    Last edited by KermEd; 07-24-12 at 09:57 PM.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    07-24-12 09:52 PM
    5ghz works great. 2.4 works great but most residential homes have a lot of traffic on this.

I run three AP's in my home, one central set to 5ghz.

One thing to mention, I have done bandwidth testing quite extensively with my PB. I have found speed differences between security modes - where the difference is worse the older the OS and depending on the router. The issues generally seem to be router driven however up-to-date OS shows much smaller differences in bandwidfh

But if you have issues try changing from AES to TKIP using WEP2/WPA2 Personal. Avoid WEP1 at all costs (major security risk, anyone can break your code).

If you want a true dedicated 2.4ghz and 5.0ghz (many cheapo dual band only operate on one band at a time) I recommend buying a chwapo dlink. Killing 2.4 in your home will kill your wireless A/B/G devices (i.e. your BB phone) and its easy to add both. Switch the generic 30 dollar dlink router into an AP using the same network as your main. Disable all port forwarding on dlink. Disable DHCP on dlink. Force set the IP to an allowed IP per your primary router (i.e. 192.18.1.100). Enable wireless WPA2 Personal using AES and a custom pin. Set wireless to 5ghz only - wide band. Make sure to use the same SSID as your main router and same passcode. Specify a higher channel number if you can (use INSSIDer to find out what channels are busy). Specify that static IP from your main router to the MAC of your 30 dollar dlink. You now have a cheap 5.0ghz AP from a cheapo router to extend your network without needing to remove your current one - keeping your 2.4 and 5.0 functionally separate.
    Thanks but the linksys e3200 is a great dual band router and I'm a big fan of Ciscos routers. I did try a dual band Dlink router before purchasing this router but I had trouble setting up an anonymous DNS server so I went back to Cisco and I'm happy.

As for the security password, yes I always use WPA2 Personal, I'm aware of the potential security risks it brings so I stopped using it all together. Thanks for the suggestions
    07-24-12 10:17 PM
    The only drawback with purchasing extra APs to extend the range via WIFI is that the bandwidth is cut in half for devices connected to that specific AP. That is why I bridged mine via powerline network adapters. An even better solution would be to run cat5e cable from the main AP to the secondary AP.
    07-25-12 08:41 PM
    The only drawback with purchasing extra APs to extend the range via WIFI is that the bandwidth is cut in half for devices connected to that specific AP. That is why I bridged mine via powerline network adapters. An even better solution would be to run cat5e cable from the main AP to the secondary AP.
    I'll keep that in mind thanks

Btw since you have the e3200 as well, is the Cisco logo on yours lit up or not? Because mine isn't.
    07-25-12 10:30 PM
    I'll keep that in mind thanks

Btw since you have the e3200 as well, is the Cisco logo on yours lit up or not? Because mine isn't.
    My e3200 has no visible lights. They are all directed to the rear and I would prefer to see the activity.
    07-25-12 11:50 PM
    My e3200 has no visible lights. They are all directed to the rear and I would prefer to see the activity.
    Yeah I wish Cisco went with the front LED lights instead of being on the back of the router with the newer models because I liked it on my old wrt160n but it's no big deal. And also I ended up disabling the 5Ghz band mainly because I get alot better speeds with the 2.4Ghz band than the 5Ghz band when the signal is weaker downstairs in the basement and farther distances.
    07-31-12 06:26 PM
    Ya I'm having no luck connecting to my 5ghz network. Set as N only wpa2. Aes. The network won't show and if I create a saved connection and try to connect it says authentication timed out check password. Pass is correct. I even set the playbook to 5ghz when trying to connect I can connect to the 2.4 band no problems any help would greatly be appreciated also the 5ghz AP disappears in the list of avaliable aps
    12-20-12 06:26 PM
    Ya I'm having no luck connecting to my 5ghz network. Set as N only wpa2. Aes. The network won't show and if I create a saved connection and try to connect it says authentication timed out check password. Pass is correct. I even set the playbook to 5ghz when trying to connect I can connect to the 2.4 band no problems any help would greatly be appreciated also the 5ghz AP disappears in the list of avaliable aps
    Unfortunately, not all routers are PlayBook friendly. And this is not just the case for this particular device. Choosing the right router for your devices is almost an art, especially when you want to use high performance settings. Anyway, I have asked several times in the forums what's the max bandwidth obtained by the PlayBook, it apparently connects up to a theoretical 65Mbps, which should give you about 8MB/sec. So far, I only had max transfers up to 2.5MB/sec or 20Mbps. In conclusion, if you set your wireless network to 2.4Ghz, and get those numbers, using 5Ghz would be overkill. Also, I think you won't be able to get 5Ghz farther than a single room.
    12-20-12 06:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD