As many of you know I have been having issues with a cheap PB that is dead (the details can be found here: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...oblems-801793/ )

Now I tried to clean the board again as last time I didn't remove any of the dust covers to get at the CPU and Memory and after I cleaned the board I connected all of the cables back up except for the battery and I plugged it in to the USB charger, just another random shot it the dark to try and breath some life into this thing. I am confused though because I thought that the charging was strictly controlled through the CPU and the charging circuit both of which need power from the battery to do anything, but i noticed when I plugged in the charger the red LED still comes on for the 10 minutes. I'm guessing this means that stack charges do nothing with this particular tablet as it doesn't seem to matter if the battery is hooked up or not.

Any insights from the experts? Beyond trying the impossible to get mine to work, I'm just trying to get a good education on the way that the motherboard functions.
    05-12-13 11:12 AM
    Mapsonburt seemed to know some of the technical in's and out's of the pb's circuitry. I did not check if they're still present.

Others may also know more about those details.
    05-12-13 11:59 AM
    I know when I had a PB down I couldn't boot it off a broken battery.

Wall charger etc,, it would get part way through boot up and die. I suspect the PB needs a load greater than what it typically gets over USB during boot sequence.

I was able to boot it using a rapid charger. And access the data from a PC by using a USB3 port. And booting it with the laptop closed.

It also takes about 3x longer to boot.

Eventually I was able to rescue the data after finally figuring out the failed backup issues. And move it to a new PB temporarily while RIM repaid my old PB.

Posted via CB10
    05-12-13 12:08 PM
    I think your best bet is to buy a new pb battery.
    Here is the cheapest price i could find http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53...715259478%2526
    Sent via my Z10 support your local paramedics run with scissors.
    05-13-13 09:44 AM
    I think your best bet is to buy a new pb battery.
    Here is the cheapest price i could find New Battery Replacement for Blackberry Playbook 5400mAh | eBay
    Sent via my Z10 support your local paramedics run with scissors.
    Thanks for the link, but I'm pretty sure the battery isn't the problem. If you take a look at the post for trouble shooting this PB I manually charged it and still got the same result.
    05-13-13 09:59 AM
    I admire your perseverance. You may have done as much as possible in trying to fix that pb. But here's a thread where Mapsonburt's link can be found so you might try contacting him:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...screen-539024/

Again, he posted there, so you can follow a link and send him a private message.
    05-13-13 10:31 AM
    I dunno. I'd probably PM the battery guru guy, too. I don't know how the software would react to a "manual" charge. Since you can't get it to boot, does the software still "think" it is discharged, even tho you do have a charge on it? Like I say, I don't know enough about how the battery and software interact.
    05-13-13 11:57 AM
    PBs break on the motherboard and cable connectors often too.

In that case the battery does not matter. The tell tale symptom is the battery immediately shows as 0 on fail.

Ebay replacement part folks warn about this.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-13 06:23 PM
    I have one last trick up my sleeve. I was out and about tonight and I found a PB dock for $15 so I bought it. At the very least when I finally get a working one at least I'll have the dock
    05-13-13 11:11 PM
    It should power on in the dock even with battery removed. Let it sit 5 first.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-13 11:31 PM
    It's a no go for the charging dock, didn't do a thing. Oh well as I said at least when I do finally get a PB that works I'll have the dock for it.
    05-14-13 02:08 AM
    Sounds like the motherboard then. Which is unfortunate as I have a spare battery I could've sent ya.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-13 07:27 AM
    It's a no go for the charging dock, didn't do a thing. Oh well as I said at least when I do finally get a PB that works I'll have the dock for it.
    When you put it in the dock were all lights off? Did the red light turn on? What charge did you think was in the battery? Are you leaving it sitting in the dock? A thread sometime back reported that after sitting in the dock for several days his PB charged up and started.
    05-14-13 03:16 PM
    The battery was at 3.7V the last time I had it apart. Now I'm just gonna leave it on the dock until I come up with the cash to buy one that works. Then I'll pack it up and keep it for spare parts and pray that any PB I get doesn't have Mother Board problems
    05-14-13 04:05 PM
    A pretty good price for 32 gb:
    Blackberry Playbook 32GB Wi Fi 7in Black | eBay
    If you open or have a Bill Me Later account you get 6 mo to pay no interest. 20 or 30 buck a month and you should have it paid off in time. Just a FYI. Really strange that it never, ever booted up.
    05-14-13 04:13 PM
    A pretty good price for 32 gb:
    Blackberry Playbook 32GB Wi Fi 7in Black | eBay
    If you open or have a Bill Me Later account you get 6 mo to pay no interest. 20 or 30 buck a month and you should have it paid off in time. Just a FYI. Really strange that it never, ever booted up.
    Thanks for the info GB
    05-14-13 05:12 PM
    See my PM...
    06-06-13 07:03 PM