I have a password set on my PlayBook, and if I leave it unattended for a while then I have to enter the password to 're-open' it again. If I accidentally miss-key the password then it starts counting down on retrieve (think you have 10 chances).
    I just wondered what happens after 10 attempts, will it automatically do a security wipe??!
    02-17-13 04:09 PM
    will it automatically do a security wipe??!
    yes................
    ChrisMay likes this.
    02-17-13 04:14 PM
    02-17-13 04:15 PM
    Setting a Password is a tradeoff - security versus the potential to lose all data. Obviously, if lost or stolen, you might not want anyone getting your data. But if some prankster or child tries too many times, you also lose your data. Backup as often as necessary to feel comfortable. But know that it can take hours to restore data to larger pb's.
    ChrisMay likes this.
    02-17-13 04:38 PM
    Setting a Password is a tradeoff - security versus the potential to lose all data. Obviously, if lost or stolen, you might not want anyone getting your data. But if some prankster or child tries too many times, you also lose your data. Backup as often as necessary to feel comfortable. But know that it can take hours to restore data to larger pb's.
    That's a good point, must admit that I didn't really consider that. Will keep the password, but will also make sure I have a good backup.
    02-17-13 05:04 PM
    That's a good point, must admit that I didn't really consider that. Will keep the password, but will also make sure I have a good backup.
    It has apparently happened to a few folks on here and also with bb phones.
    02-17-13 05:16 PM
    It has apparently happened to a few folks on here and also with bb phones.
    Yes this has happened to me in the past. I thought I would put a security measure on my PlayBook, ten minutes afterward, I forgot the password I just input and tried the 10 attempts. All data and updates were wiped.
    So much for my security and my memory!
    02-17-13 08:27 PM
    Yes this has happened to me in the past. I thought I would put a security measure on my PlayBook, ten minutes afterward, I forgot the password I just input and tried the 10 attempts. All data and updates were wiped.
    So much for my security and my memory!
    Thanks for sharing your unfortunate encounter with the pb's security.

When going on a trip, I always weight the pro's and cons of being away from a computer where my "restoration data" resides if the device were to be wiped versus the thought of losing unsecured data.
    02-17-13 08:50 PM
    Doesn't help with the prankster, but after 5 or 6 attempts (can't remember how many) it makes you type in "Blackberry" before it will let you make another attempt. So children young enough to not realize what they are doing should be thwarted. Primarily it's intended to prevent accidental screen presses from taking you all the way to wipe (i.e. repeated accidental presses of return).
    FF22 and ChrisMay like this.
    02-17-13 09:23 PM