The PlayBook is due to have HDMI output. As many of the LCD's or projectors I would be likely to connect to only have VGA input, how could I get this to work?

Bearing in mind, these are screens at work / customers / suppliers so I won't have influence over them purchasing new display equipment.

Thanks for your answers.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-05-10 06:11 PM
    10-05-10 06:29 PM
    Good find Dave. I'll make note of it.
    10-05-10 07:42 PM
    Good find Dave. I'll make note of it.
    you're welcome!
    10-05-10 08:00 PM
    Excellent, thanks,

10-06-10 01:21 AM
    That would work if the PlayBook used a full size HDMI connection, but it uses micro HDMI.
    10-06-10 10:42 AM
    That would work if the PlayBook used a full size HDMI connection, but it uses micro HDMI.
    LOL! there are all sorts of adapters for that!
    10-06-10 10:52 AM
    After doing some searching there doesn't appear to be an inexpensive fix. First you would need an micro HDMI to HDMI cable, seen here for $12 then an HDMI to VGA converter box like this or this for $120+.

Update: Cheaper cable found at Monoprice
    Last edited by bighap; 10-06-10 at 11:12 AM.
    10-06-10 10:55 AM
    LOL! there are all sorts of adapters for that!
    Even if you converted to a full size HDMI with the cord I mentioned above, the product you mentioned still wouldn't work. It has a male HDMI connector. It would have to be female.
    10-06-10 11:03 AM
    Thanks for the answers i'm glad it can be done

It seems a bit more complicated than I hoped however, I was just looking for one cable/adapter that would go from the PlayBook to the VGA cable.

So be it, it's possible and that's what counts .....

Thanks again.
    10-06-10 11:04 AM
    Even if you converted to a full size HDMI with the cord I mentioned above, the product you mentioned still wouldn't work. It has a male HDMI connector. It would have to be female.
    oh good grief!! ever heard of a gender changer? Amazon.com: HDMI Female to HDMI Female Adapter Coupler: Electronics
    10-06-10 11:10 AM
    oh good grief!! ever heard of a gender changer? Amazon.com: HDMI Female to HDMI Female Adapter Coupler: Electronics
    That would work if you only needed video. You would need one of the above mentioned devices for audio output.
    10-06-10 11:24 AM
    That would work if you only needed video. You would need one of the above mentioned devices for audio output.
    If my DVD/BlueRay player can use only the HDMI cable without the box, why couldn't the Playbook?
    10-06-10 11:30 AM
    If my DVD/BlueRay player can use only the HDMI cable without the box, why couldn't the Playbook?
    If the projector accepted an HDMI cable that would be fine, but as soon as you convert to VGA you will only have video. VGA does not carry audio.
    10-06-10 11:34 AM
    If the PlayBook allows for simultaneous audio out from the both the headphone jack and HDMI, you could use the box Dave recommended along with one of these.
    10-06-10 11:39 AM
    If the projector accepted an HDMI cable that would be fine, but as soon as you convert to VGA you will only have video. VGA does not carry audio.
    of course, you are correct. VGA doesn't carry audio.

however, on every device I own that has HDMI, the audio still outputs from the line level jacks to whatever device I choose to use for audio. I would expect the earphone jack to similarly output audio when something is plugged into the HDMI outputs on the Playbook.
    10-06-10 11:48 AM
    of course, you are correct. VGA doesn't carry audio.

however, on every device I own that has HDMI, the audio still outputs from the line level jacks to whatever device I choose to use for audio. I would expect the earphone jack to similarly output audio when something is plugged into the HDMI outputs on the Playbook.
    Hope that is the case, as it would allow for a cheaper converter like you mentioned. It isn't something I would use; as everything I own has HDMI, but this would be a big plus for Home/Business users running a projector. I wouldn't be surprised if RIM released their own adapter. I just want the PlayBook to be released already.
    10-06-10 11:56 AM
    I suppose the BlackBerry Presenter would work as well, sans audio.

BlackBerry - Presenter - Wireless PowerPoint for BlackBerry
    10-06-10 12:04 PM
    It seems a bit more complicated than I hoped however, I was just looking for one cable/adapter that would go from the PlayBook to the VGA cable.
    The issue is that HDMI is a digital standard, while VGA is an analog standard. DVI is actually both a digital and analog standard, that's why you can get away with it so easily. DVI output from a computer generally includes both the DVI digital signal and a VGA compatible analog signal. HDMI only carries the DVI digital signal, and not the analog signal for backwards compatibility. That's why HDMI-DVI adapters are common, and DVI-VGA adapters are common, but not HDMI-VGA. As a result you need something which is capable of decoding an HDMI signal and then outputting VGA. It's not a simple cable, but a box capable of doing the decoding and encoding, therefore making it that much more expensive.

Also, you can run into issues if the HDMI output is HDCP protected. VGA does not support HDCP. HDCP can be broken, but in many countries (including the US) that is illegal. I don't think RIM has said whether the PlayBook supports HDCP, and under what situations is it used.
    Last edited by taylortbb; 10-07-10 at 11:09 PM.
    10-07-10 12:36 AM
    The issue is that HDMI is a digital standard, while VGA is an analog standard. DVI is actually both a digital and analog standard, that's why you can get away with it so easily. DVI output from a computer generally includes both the DVI digital signal and a VGA compatible analog signal. HDMI only carries the DVI digital signal, and not the analog signal for backwards compatibility. That's why HDMI-DVI adapters are common, and DVI-VGA adapters are common, but not HDMI-VGA. As a result you need something which is capable of decoding an HDMI signal and then outputting VGA. It's not a simple cable, but a box capable of doing the decoding and encoding, therefore making it that much more expensive.

Also, you can run into issues if the HDMI output is HDCP protected. VGA does not support HDCP. HDCP can be broken, but in many countries (including the US) that is illegal. I don't think RIM has said whether the PlayBook supports HDMI, and under what situations is it used.

which explains why I provided him with a link to the HP solution. (which is just ONE example of the type of product he might use)
    10-07-10 09:10 AM
    which explains why I provided him with a link to the HP solution. (which is just ONE example of the type of product he might use)
    Yes, that box would work. I just wanted to provide bit of background on why. There's people out there selling VGA-HDMI cables that are nothing but a scam. Wanted to make it clear why so no one gets any ideas and gets ripped off.
    10-07-10 11:11 PM
    Not trying to post spam but look at monoprice.com for cheap cables and coverters the quality is the same as the expensive cables I use them all the time and I have never had a problem.

10-10-10 03:14 PM
    Getting really excited about the PB coming soon. Doing also lots of presentations and knowing that a lot of the projectors out there mostly sport a vga input I just ordered:

Envy 133 Hdmi to Vga Adapter: Amazon.ca: Electronics (free shipping!)

and to attach it to the PB

For only $3.29 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Micro-HDMI Male (Type D) to HDMI Female (Type A) Port Saver Adapter | HDMI Port Saver

I keep you guys posted once I get the PB if it actually works.

AR
    04-09-11 04:56 PM
    Although I wouldn't order from here, found this cable
    This is something i'd find useful.
    Micro HDMI to DVI 5Ft Cable fo EVO 4G,Droid X,XT800...USD 12.28/Piece Wholesale Price at DHgate.com

04-09-11 05:40 PM
    Getting really excited about the PB coming soon. Doing also lots of presentations and knowing that a lot of the projectors out there mostly sport a vga input I just ordered:

Envy 133 Hdmi to Vga Adapter: Amazon.ca: Electronics (free shipping!)

and to attach it to the PB

For only $3.29 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Micro-HDMI Male (Type D) to HDMI Female (Type A) Port Saver Adapter | HDMI Port Saver

I keep you guys posted once I get the PB if it actually works.

AR
    I don't think that will work. HDMI is a digital-only standard and VGA is an analouge-only standard. Some devices will combine the standards (Such as the Envy 133-which was great in theory but is now woefully obsolete and forgotten), but generally that's specialized hardware and won't work on non specialized hardware (such as the PlayBook)

it would be nice if the PlayBook supported VGA over HDMI, and that would be a feature well used in the core market; but the chipset iirc does not support such a thing.
    Just get a micro-hdmi to dvi cable. most projectors do dvi now anyways.
    04-09-11 06:40 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD