What happens when every next gen tab has an edge to edge screen? Is PB gonna be the only tab in town with a big black bezel because the OS relies on gestures so much?
    01-18-12 12:00 AM
    That big black bezel should shrink, to allow the screen to grow. The HP Touchpad Web OS uses gestures, too, but they don't require the bezel.
    01-18-12 12:02 AM
    ever thought gestures can be changed and updated as the hardware changes?
    01-18-12 12:17 AM
    I'm sorry but I can't see the bezel ever dissapearing? We would be holding and touching the screen directly! Doesnt make much sence! ... you need some area so that you arent accidently hitting things on screen
    01-18-12 12:22 AM
    I suspect the actual sensor is currently only .5 cm or likely less, it isn't the full width. I'm not to worried that my tv has a small border, or my cars windows are not seamless all the way around.

Things evolve over time, not worried at all.
    shn'g likes this.
    01-18-12 12:25 AM
    Obviously, but lets say you're in the browser and you wanna swipe up to display it as a card. Or swipe down to show the tab menu. How you do that when there is no bezel? A swipe up or down in the browser window will scroll the page.
    shn'g likes this.
    01-18-12 12:25 AM
    Who said anything about "next gen" tablets not having a bezel?
    01-18-12 12:34 AM
    I don't see bezels disappearing completely, however it is very easy to program more complicated (and even customize) gestures.
    01-18-12 12:37 AM
    What I could see is you could have the capability of being full screen edge to edge, but by default you have a virtual bezel. But say you want a fullscreen video, you could dispay certain content full...simlar to how utubes full screen option works. I agree with SHN, that removing the bezel would be hard for any of the tablet makers, and would be even more problematic as they get thinner. Not worried
    01-18-12 12:43 AM
    If iphone 5 rumors are true, it's gonna have no bezel (minimal). That will no doubt start a trend. It's a matter of time at after that.
    01-18-12 12:53 AM
    The pictures I have seen still had a top and bottom bezel, plus that button
    Last edited by blue-b; 01-18-12 at 01:07 AM.
    01-18-12 01:05 AM
    True enough. But for tablets, I can see them going no bezel all around, especially android tabs since new android os has on screen buttons now.
    01-18-12 01:52 AM
    You could still allow gestures close to the screen's edge.
    01-18-12 01:54 AM
    I think they could keep the gestures even in a true edge-to-edge display.

It would just need to be implemented such that if the first touch is within the first few millimeters, it counts as a "bezel" gesture.

I wouldn't worry about them abandoning the feature in order to more perfectly emulate Apple. I doubt that's a high priority at all.
    01-18-12 01:57 AM
    If iphone 5 rumors are true, it's gonna have no bezel (minimal). That will no doubt start a trend. It's a matter of time at after that.
    iPhone 5 is a phone. You really don't need a bezel to hold a phone. It is possible the the next bezel-less iPhone will set a trend for other phones though.
    vespajet likes this.
    01-18-12 02:21 AM
    Using the bezel is a stroke of genius as the bezel is needed anyway to have a safe hold on the tablet. Why change that? No need. It could not be made smaller and be handy but or it could be created in software, so that one could hide it in full screen mode for instance when watching movies.

But I would very much dislike a tablet without a proper bezel to hold on to. QNS is perfect as far as I am concerned. One of the great things offcourse is that new bezel swipes can be added. We still have the lover right corner free.

I personally would like it, if we could use the same edge to edge swipe to toggle standby mode (now only brings it out of standby)

I would also like the bezel to be used for scrolling webpages up and down. scrolling in the text works good, but when zoomed on a column one sometimes moves it horizontally when swiping down in the text.

Same way I would love bezels to move through the app collection. Why not use the bezels as browser bars?
    Last edited by Magalaan; 01-18-12 at 06:37 AM.
    01-18-12 03:37 AM
    Oh... and I have to mention: Gestures have become so ingrained in me that I don't know why my 9900 doesn't wake up when I do a top-down "bezel" swipe on it! =P
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-18-12 03:48 AM
    think big...maybe gestures wont be on the screen...maybe in the air? PB meets kinect

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    01-18-12 06:51 AM
    I'm sorry but I can't see the bezel ever dissapearing? We would be holding and touching the screen directly! Doesnt make much sence! ... you need some area so that you arent accidently hitting things on screen
    The bezel could be 50% of its current width without affecting performance and functionality. However, the OP's posting is, in my opinion, intended to provoke people rather than begin a genuine discussion.
    blue-b and peter9477 like this.
    01-18-12 06:56 AM
    If you do a left or right swipe gesture on your PlayBook right now and hold the current window in the middle of your screen, you see the frame around the window where you can see your background? That could be what a virtual bezel looks like. If you made it a little thicker. And then certain apps like video could have a full screen button that actually utilizes full screen.

Although considering that Windows 8 is using bezel swipe gestures I dont think they will be dissapearing soon. Just getting smaller for now.
    01-18-12 07:31 AM
    The bezel gestures are such an elegant part of the PlayBook OS experience that I think we can count on them being here for quite some time, though possibly shrunk a millimetre or two in future...
    01-18-12 07:33 AM
    What happens when every next gen tab has an edge to edge screen? Is PB gonna be the only tab in town with a big black bezel because the OS relies on gestures so much?
    my nokia n9 has gestures that swipe from the screen edge just like the playbook, and the bezel is tiny, so i'm confident RIM will manage.

the n9 is a very similar UI to the playbook in fact.
    01-18-12 08:02 AM
    You could always set a certain perimeter of the screen (.5 in. in maybe?) to act as the bezel does now. Who says that every part of the screen has to function the same way if you can move the screen?
    01-18-12 08:06 AM

Phones and tablets are very different

you can palm hold a phone, but a tablet you need to have room to hold the edges, I can't see any tablet moving to a smaller than 10mm bezel, and in reality bezel jestures just need the outer most screen, if they did a sensor 3 pixels wide around the screen gestures would start from that 3 pixel line which could be made visible or not in software, kinda like when you touch the "bezel edge" it would light up red like the corner of the playbook does now.

LG Showed TV's at CES that had a 1mm Bezel around the screen, on a 42" TV that is nothing, but 1mm you can see on a 4"-10" screen, I think the edge of the Bold 9900 is about 3mm I could see that shaved to 1.5mm each side and still be thick enough to have bezel based gestures on the device.
    01-18-12 08:22 AM
    I wouldn't worry about the PB ever being completely void of a bezel with gestures. That would be the equivalent of RIM not making any more phones with a physical keyboard.
    It's a part of RIM's product identity.
    01-18-12 08:55 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD