With qnx's vast gaming potential. It is a given that it is the most capable of all mobile platforms on the market...I have also noticed how companies such as Sony and Nintendo being very concerned about losing market interst to mobile platforms such as android and ios...they're main concern wwith ios is the poor quality of gaming compared to what Nintendo and Sony offer and the the losses of Mindshare and market share to inferior gaming platforms

After connecting the dots with how RIM is touting QNX and the playbbok as being the ultimate gaming platform and them stateing that they are working with certain partners...and Sony and Nintendo stressing they're concerns it brings me to a certain conclusion

I believe that Rim will possibly partner with one if not a few of the industry titans to bring an unparalled gaming experience to the playbook...in the future I see many desktop games running on the playbook, running circles around anything ios could offer....

And to end this, I can envision the potential of, but at ptresent the unliklihood of RIM partnering with a company such as Sony to bring the entire PS3 catalog to the playbbok as a means to strengthen both companies reach and potential...Imagine the gravity of that?

Now it may not be Sony, but imagine the potential partnerships? And the experiences gamers will enjoy? Rim has mentioned they are working with partners....however that's just speculation as of now...however one can only imagine given the PB's power...that their are many likley amazing partnerships being forged...anyone care to further speculate on this?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-05-11 08:05 PM
    From the demos I've seen, it looks quite promising for gaming. I'm more of a Texas Hold'em guy, but the action games should do quite well on this device. I would rule out Nintendo and Sony since they have mobile gaming devices of their own, but definitely the game developers will be interested as long as enough devices get sold.
    03-05-11 08:23 PM
    Why would Sony partner with RIM for gaming when they can make their own device? They already have a phone coming out. Also how do you plan on getting PS3 games on the PB?

IMO touch screens just aren't good for heavy gaming.(MW2 type games, unless you're going to use some type of BT joystick)

If RIM is touting the PB as a gaming machine then I guess I see why the other thread is talking about the marketing guy leaving. I thought the PB was made for CIO's for CIO's as a business machine. This thing is starting to sound like a jack of all trades, will it be a master of none is yet to be seen
    03-05-11 08:27 PM
    Why would Sony partner with RIM for gaming when they can make their own device? They already have a phone coming out. Also how do you plan on getting PS3 games on the PB?

IMO touch screens just aren't good for heavy gaming.(MW2 type games, unless you're going to use some type of BT joystick)

If RIM is touting the PB as a gaming machine then I guess I see why the other thread is talking about the marketing guy leaving. I thought the PB was made for CIO's for CIO's as a business machine. This thing is starting to sound like a jack of all trades, will it be a master of none is yet to be seen

It could be used as a console...with using your hdmi out to tv....and controllers utilzed through the usb...I am also under the impression that sony takes a loss on each console they sell and make it up on software.....so this is how I see potetial partnerships unfolding

Rim did also introduce last year a " certified for blackberry program" which would allow 3rd parties to put that on they're products....so it remains to see how that will be introduced

Now getting off topic....Dan Dodge at his keynote mentioned that we will see a whole new world of mobile computting introduced on the PB...so this is a potential I invision...at present a pipe dream...but it's not a question of will it happen, just a matter of who they partner with and how it will be introduced....I used Sony/Nintendo as an example.

With QNX anything is possible...nothing is probable...we have to remember that

03-05-11 08:42 PM
    Not going to happen with Sony,Nintendo or Wii.

How are you going to get content on the device?

I'm not saying you won't see some type of games but when a device tries to be an all in one device it usually comes up short.
    03-05-11 08:48 PM
    This thing is starting to sound like a jack of all trades, will it be a master of none is yet to be seen
    This is in fact the case. The mobile tablet is just one incarnation that can be sold directly to consumers and enterprises. Other incarnations could be as embedded devices. There are countless possibilities.
    03-05-11 08:54 PM

I'm not saying you won't see some type of games but when a device tries to be an all in one device it usually comes up short.
    With QNX it has no peer or rival in terms of VM and emulator capabilities....as far as getting content on the device.....those channels and avenues will come and remain at this point to be seen

It goes with the onus of "if you build it....they will come"

03-05-11 08:58 PM
    its already here, add someone with a xoom/sammy/LG tablet and you got 4 way action

android phone, pc and PS3 multiplayer gaming

BlackStormRising likes this.
    03-05-11 09:01 PM
    RIM wouldn't need to partner with Nintendo,Sony or Microsoft.
    What they would want to do is partner with the developers who don't have exclusive rights to a console and get them to bring a mobile version.

Revamp AppWorld to be like Xbox live or PSN.

I'm not saying it couldn't work but they need to focus on one thing at a time and then expand on it.
    03-05-11 09:20 PM

I have a feeling with the new features of appworld and"in app payments" that we'll witness apps on app world that will become the portals to getting any type of content on the PB you can shake a stick at

It'll work along the same lines as Amazons mp3 app!

Major content providers will submit apps that work as gateways and portals to further content purchases.

I invision this as being like ITunes times 100! You name it....we'll have it! I believe that we'll have an ecosystem in due course that it unriveled....android alreay offers such capabilities...however QNX has unriveled capabilities and given all the rumours of future android support...I feel that tablet OS will be unrivalled

03-05-11 09:33 PM
    they dont have to be full console games..the tactical games like final fantasy tactics or or sports games can make it on the playbook.casual games with some depth
    03-05-11 11:40 PM
    they dont have to be full console games..the tactical games like final fantasy tactics or or sports games can make it on the playbook.casual games with some depth
    I'm stressing uncompromised gaming....nothing that is compromised

03-05-11 11:48 PM
    Sony makes a PSN blackberry PB app and download the games digitally to your pb which then Sony allows you to get a free digital copy if you already own the disc version by simply entering some sort of code on the disc box. Oh yeah and obviously sign into your PSN account. And there you have your PS3 games on your PB

03-06-11 03:06 AM
    I just find it funny that all of a sudden gaming is considered acceptable on a Blackberry device. What happened to the "productivity" and "business tool" arguments that were repeatedly used just a very short time ago? The truth is that Blackberry games sucked, and so you tried to convince yourselves that gaming wasn't necessary. But now that QNX has shown the potential of giving you the experience that iOS and Android users already enjoy, gaming is now seen as "relevant". The Playbook's supposed ability to run Android apps has everyone excited why? I'm willing to bet it's because of Android's gaming library more than anything else.
    Daniel Ratcliffe likes this.
    03-06-11 06:13 AM
    I just find it funny that all of a sudden gaming is considered acceptable on a Blackberry device. What happened to the "productivity" and "business tool" arguments that were repeatedly used just a very short time ago? The truth is that Blackberry games sucked, and so you tried to convince yourselves that gaming wasn't necessary. But now that QNX has shown the potential of giving you the experience that iOS and Android users already enjoy, gaming is now seen as "relevant". The Playbook's supposed ability to run Android apps has everyone excited why? I'm willing to bet it's because of Android's gaming library more than anything else.
    And for the first time with me being level-headed, I agree with you. I'm definitely a perfect example. My BlackBerry Curve 8520 sucked hard for games, so I decided I didn't need them, I see this and it's sub-consciously bashing the thought of "I don't need games on my phone/tablet" argument into oblivion.
    03-06-11 06:54 AM
    There were lots of posters who DID want games, so they are now being more vocal.

you don't see those that touted needing productivity apps first and foremost as now switching and talking about how important games are.

The Playbook has the power like a notebook to be a fun gaming device, WILL RIM and E/A games leverage that in the consumer space? darn tooting they will,
    Does it matter to the Enterprise customer base? No, BUT games are great bench marks to show the power of a device so a game demo will be beneficial when showing the device to Enterprise customers
    03-06-11 06:58 AM
    I have a feeling with the new features of appworld and"in app payments" that we'll witness apps on app world that will become the portals to getting any type of content on the PB you can shake a stick at

It'll work along the same lines as Amazons mp3 app!

Major content providers will submit apps that work as gateways and portals to further content purchases.

I invision this as being like ITunes times 100! You name it....we'll have it! I believe that we'll have an ecosystem in due course that it unriveled....android alreay offers such capabilities...however QNX has unriveled capabilities and given all the rumours of future android support...I feel that tablet OS will be unrivalled

Dude! you spelled 'unrivaled' wrong THREE times, TWO different ways! Google it!
    03-06-11 07:11 AM
    I think most people have different expectations with tablets and phones, my timewasters of choice on my phone are things like twitter, facebook and kindle rather than games and that would tend to be true regardless of what was on offer, but do play a few games on my ipad even if the touchscreen limits the games that are suited to it.
    03-06-11 07:43 AM
    Dude! you spelled 'unrivaled' wrong THREE times, TWO different ways! Google it!
    I know! I would have edited it....however I pressed the "post reply" button just cause.....that's how I roll baby! Nuff said! Lol

03-06-11 11:34 AM
    I think most people have different expectations with tablets and phones, my timewasters of choice on my phone are things like twitter, facebook and kindle rather than games and that would tend to be true regardless of what was on offer, but do play a few games on my ipad even if the touchscreen limits the games that are suited to it.
    Twitter is the greatest game for a phone ever.

Personally i think phones of all stripes really suck as gaming devices no matter what kool-aid a person is drinking. Angry birds is a throwback to those ancient video games that were addictive, repetitive and ultimately pretty boring. It's addictive and fun like the original Atari games were.
    03-06-11 02:26 PM
    Twitter is the greatest game for a phone ever.

Personally i think phones of all stripes really suck as gaming devices no matter what kool-aid a person is drinking. Angry birds is a throwback to those ancient video games that were addictive, repetitive and ultimately pretty boring. It's addictive and fun like the original Atari games were.
    Qnx is powerful enough that once mainstream developers have acsess to the native sdk, they'll create emulators and we'll have the PB work as a console with peripheral controllers through the usb, and hdmi out to tv....the gravity of that is huge! For gamers any way

03-06-11 02:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD