For people who don't know what Phyton is? Python is a programing language and it has been successfully embedded in a number of software products as a scripting language and also used as a scripting language for web applications. It has been around for a while and has got a thriving developer community.

Looks like QNX is not going to stop any time soon, they already support C/C++, Java, Flash, HTML5/JavaScript, Qt.

The PyCon blog: Welcome to QNX, and thanks to all our sponsors

any hints what they are up to? seem like they are sponsoring for the work of a email framework called email6 to be developed by David Murray and that's supposed to be integrated into Phyton 3.3.
    Last edited by sf49ers; 03-03-11 at 05:02 PM.
    03-03-11 03:34 PM
    Wow seems quite interesting, maybe they are going to port a new form of email into the qnx platform /os when it hits our HH s

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-03-11 04:32 PM
    I haven't been able to find any hint of what they're up to, other than that email6 package, and the fact that Python is used in the PlayBook already (but not exposed in any way that lets a user or developer get to it). (Edit: used in the simulator anyway... no idea if it's in the real thing.)

QNX is used widely enough that this may have nothing to do with the PlayBook, and Python is used internally at QNX, so maybe it's nothing more than the fact that they've been handed piles of RIM cash and told to go nuts.

The email6 package is interesting, since it (and Python 3.3) would be highly effective for handling emails in the international market (as together they should finally resolve all past Unicode-related issues in email with Python).

I was quite interested at first because of my PlayBook interest, but judging by the timing on the email6 package and Python 3.3 (which doesn't even have a release schedule yet, but should be much later this year), I figure it can't have any immediate impact on the PlayBook.
    Last edited by peter9477; 03-12-11 at 11:03 PM. Reason: add note re Python maybe only in sim
    Cynycl likes this.
    03-12-11 10:59 PM
    I'm getting tired of these *** snakes in this *** QNX... (snakes on a plane? Anyone? Anyone? Ok that was a stretch)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    cmcichon likes this.
    03-14-11 10:47 AM
    would it be possible to use software that requires python runtime?
    11-14-13 12:41 PM
    I haven't been able to find any hint of what they're up to, other than that email6 package, and the fact that Python is used in the PlayBook already (but not exposed in any way that lets a user or developer get to it). (Edit: used in the simulator anyway... no idea if it's in the real thing.)

QNX is used widely enough that this may have nothing to do with the PlayBook, and Python is used internally at QNX, so maybe it's nothing more than the fact that they've been handed piles of RIM cash and told to go nuts.

The email6 package is interesting, since it (and Python 3.3) would be highly effective for handling emails in the international market (as together they should finally resolve all past Unicode-related issues in email with Python).

I was quite interested at first because of my PlayBook interest, but judging by the timing on the email6 package and Python 3.3 (which doesn't even have a release schedule yet, but should be much later this year), I figure it can't have any immediate impact on the PlayBook.
    I may have to use that as my sig line for a bit
    11-14-13 12:46 PM
    would it be possible to use software that requires python runtime?
    You mean like the BBPyProject stuff? BlackBerry-Py Project

All my apps for BB10 are written using Python and Cascades together... There's a PDF on this page: http://blackberry-py.microcode.ca/downloads/ which includes a list of other people and apps which have been written using Python, for PlayBook and/or BB10.

We actually ported PySide to the PlayBook last summer, though I wasn't happy with the performance... A "hello world" app took close to 20MB of space and something like 8 seconds to load.

It's possible to use OpenGL from Python, so one could write a "native" app using just the Qnx/Python entry point, or one could take the approach we've taken with "BlackBerry Tart" and use a Qnx/Elf (i.e. C/C++) launcher program which invokes the Python interpreter for the rest of the work.
    11-14-13 03:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD