Feel kind of let down considering the new sale priced 64gb playbook said on the box it was created and made 17/6/2011 which was 1year and 3months ago. Should I replace as I'v seen on the forums people getting brand new 12 plate models with os 2 pre installed?
    09-07-12 10:51 AM
    I wouldn't mind if it's factory sealed. Give it a shot, upgrade the OS and start fresh.

I've been using my PB for almost 9 months now.
    09-07-12 10:54 AM
    Feel kind of let down considering the new sale priced 64gb playbook said on the box it was created and made 17/6/2011 which was 1year and 3months ago. Should I replace as I'v seen on the forums people getting brand new 12 plate models with os 2 pre installed?
    It doesn't matter as long as the box is not opened or refurbished. All PlayBooks have the same hardware except the 4G model. Just turn on the PB and upgrade the OS and you will be fine.
    09-07-12 10:57 AM
    thecsman is right. Most (if not all) devices are that "old". Being factory sealed or second hand is the thing you should be concerned about.
    09-07-12 10:58 AM
    If its new & all good, keep & update it.
    09-07-12 11:12 AM
    The only thing to worry about is:

- glue keeping screen protective film on may be a bit gummy, but can clean up nice

- power-button may be old "recessed" type

- battery may be a bit stale but if has never gone through any power cycles I do not think it will make any difference

- older production runs that have defects that may have been caught and fixed meantime, like wall charger issues

Just have your warranty ready and if any problems just change it.

I have an "old" playbook, bought in November 2011 during the fire sale. Has been perfect so far except for warped back due to heating "spin the Playbook", but other than a cosmetic issue, I would not worry!
    My wife's Playbook from May 2012 this year has an almost unnoticeable dead pixel and I do not want to exchange it because it is not worth the trouble.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    09-07-12 12:36 PM
    I just bought one from walmart 32gb it says 10/05/12, I assume thats May 10 2012?? lol, it came with os 2.0.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-07-12 12:48 PM
    Most people do not look at a devices birthday.... In my computer business it is not unusual to see printers and computers made a year plus ago.... as mentioned in previous post.... as no specs on the Playbook have not changed... you are not behind the curve.... As long as it is factory sealed... you have a fully warrantied unit..... Should pop over the Blackberry website and register you Playbook... give you 3 month complimentary customer service......
    09-07-12 01:21 PM
    I must be lucky > PC World UK, Date on box 170812...Didn't think they were making more. Happy days
    09-07-12 02:05 PM
    I bought 2 x 64gb playbooks last week......one did a full OS update the other a small 20mb update......i guess one is an earlier build going by the serial numbers,no deeper recessed power buttons on either though......both work fine with no noticable issues.

Just had a look at the boxes....the first online order pb is dated 15/6/2011.......the second bought in store 15/8/2012......not bothered at all tbh.
    Last edited by Broxster; 09-07-12 at 02:20 PM.
    09-07-12 02:12 PM
    Well bought one from UK pc world too. I was happy it was old as I could root it. With os 2.0 preinstalled you are not able to root anymore...
    09-07-12 02:27 PM
    Sorry but you come across as a whiny brat in need of a spanking. You feel cheated by the box label showing a manufacturing date of over 1 year ago and want to newer model? The only new model is the 4G/LTE BlackBerry PlayBook; all the WiFi BlackBerry PlayBooks were manufactured during 2010-2011. You can update the software to the latest public release or if you sign-up for beta software you can install the latest beta release of the BlackBerry Tablet OS. Go stand in the corner in the cellar as in the closing scene of "The Blair Witch Project."
    tinker2000 likes this.
    09-07-12 03:20 PM
    Where does it say on the box when it was made, I can only find the year
    Thanks
    09-07-12 04:02 PM
    Should I replace as I'v seen on the forums people getting brand new 12 plate models with os 2 pre installed?
    Am I the only one who has no idea what "12 plate models" means?
    Harryl6134 and diegonei like this.
    09-07-12 04:20 PM
    Where does it say on the box when it was made, I can only find the year
    Thanks
    Here in the UK there is a sticker on the side of the main black box the PB is packed in.......theres a day,month and year date.
    09-07-12 05:39 PM
    Am I the only one who has no idea what "12 plate models" means?
    Never heard that before either.
    09-07-12 05:47 PM
    I dare say they mean it in the context of cars, as in 2012 registration plate (i.e. New)

Mine that I picked up last week in pissy world was made 17/06/2011. Factory sealed so no real complaints here. Granted it needed 560mb of updates but that's what work's wifi is for
    09-07-12 06:01 PM
    At 129 i wouldn't complain.....theres 2nd hand 16gb models in the local small adds selling for more.
    09-07-12 06:09 PM
    I think some of the PC World stock is recently shipped from RIM (My 64gb Playbook was also manufactured on 17/08/12).

I do agree to a point that I like things I buy to be a recent batch and not 'old' stock that may have been stored in a less than optimal environment.

I have seen how 'kit' gets handled in warehouses and am not surprised by the amount of DOA returns retailers get for electronic goods. :-)

You can try returning it to PC World but you will need a credible fault/excuse unless you have purchased on-line which will give you a 7 day no-quibble right to return the goods.
    (See below)

Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000

Right to cancel
    Under the Regulations a consumer can cancel a distance contract at any time during the "cancellation period" by notifying this intention to the supplier in writing. At times this is also referred to as the "cooling-off period".

A contract which is cancelled must be treated as if it had never been entered into by the consumer. For example, if the consumer has entered into a credit agreement in order to purchase the goods, that agreement must also be cancelled at the same time as the distance contract.

In both contracts for the sale of goods and contracts for the supply of services the cancellation period begins on conclusion of the contract. However, the duration of the cancellation period varies depending on the stage at which the written confirmation and additional information is provided. The earlier the information is provided, the shorter the cancellation period will be. The following is an outline of the various cancellation periods that may arise:

Cancellation periods for goods

where written confirmation and additional information is provided before or at the time of delivery of the goods, the cancellation period is 7 working days beginning with the day after the day on which the goods are delivered;
    where the written confirmation and additional information is provided after the goods are delivered but within a period of three months beginning with the day after the day on which the goods are delivered, the cancellation period will end after 7 working days beginning with the day after the day on which the written confirmation and additional information is provided;
    Example: the written confirmation and additional information is provided to a new customer three weeks after he placed an order. The cancellation period will be 7 working days from the day after the date the written confirmation was provided.
    where the obligation to give written confirmation and additional information is not fulfilled within three months beginning with the day after the day on which the goods are delivered, the cancellation period ends after three months and 7 working days from the day after the day on which the goods are delivered.
    09-07-12 06:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD