09-08-12 12:12 AM
33 12
tools
    I copped a playbook instore for 130 pound in the uk,reserved collected instore only to get home to find out it was not factory sealed like in many proper unboxing video's. It also only had the english manual the foriegn ones and the limited warranty booklets where no where to be seen as also the how to start up card's instructions beneath the playbook in the box where all missing other the the first initial english one about turning on and wifi. The playbook seems new untouched. If I would of known I would of definately kicked up a stink and demanded a factory sealed one. 130 quid or not if your buying a new product it should not be opened. Any queries or feedback? I bought it in london so they may have used the foriegn cards for tourist consumers. The box came very neat even though it had probably been opened. There was none of the two factory seal stickers anywhere to be seen on the outside box. Quality control? Or old stock clearance. They were making a big deal of reservation number and name maybe to gass me up and not investigate what I was buying. Any suggestions.? Thanks
    08-31-12 07:32 AM
    I not sure that any of them come in "factory sealed" boxes, if by that you mean shrink wraped.
    08-31-12 07:45 AM
    Nah I ment the stickers either side of the outer box once you pull the glossy sleeve off
    08-31-12 08:20 AM
    I've bought two PBs in the last year, one online and one from Currys. Neither had any sticker seals on, nor any marks where they might have been, but clearly both machines were brand spanking new with everything where it should be in the box. Do they actually come 'sealed' as such?
    08-31-12 08:50 AM
    The ones in the US, at least, had those "disk stickers" glued so that they needed to be cut or heated to remove and actually open the box. Maybe it's different other locales.

How many finger prints are on the "hand embossed" screen protector? Battery Guru can tell you how many times it was charged but my new one showed it had been charged about 4 times - so tested?

I would not worry too much but if you do worry, return it!
    08-31-12 10:55 AM
    Bought mine in PC World in January and I don't recall the box having any sticker seals.
    08-31-12 12:30 PM
    I had seals from retail stores (Walmart, Sears, Telus) and no seals from the BlackBerry Store. It may be an option specified by the retailer, not RIM.
    08-31-12 12:43 PM
    my first one (from currys) had the discs on the box. The second one (picked up today from currys) did not, and I went through several to check for curved backs etc, none of them did.
    08-31-12 12:58 PM
    I bet they loved you in Currys!
    08-31-12 01:10 PM
    doubletees

Can you please tell us what the first 8 digits of the serial number are from the one you purchased.

My 64gb that i just got here in the USA at Office Depot is old new stock with 2 clear seals

my S/N starts with 1343-5946-xxxx
    Last edited by kretch; 08-31-12 at 01:19 PM. Reason: add
    08-31-12 01:13 PM
    doubletees

Can you please tell us what the first 8 digits of the serial number are from the one you purchased.

My 64gb that i just got here in the USA at Office Depot is old new stock with 2 clear seals

my S/N starts with 1343-5946-xxxx
    My 64gb with no seals is 1345-2709-XXXX, if that's any help.
    08-31-12 01:25 PM
    I bought my Pb from Curry's, April 2012 without disc stickers.

Until seeing this thread Its never crossed my mind.
    08-31-12 01:27 PM
    Seals here too.
    08-31-12 03:07 PM
    What do u mean by curved backs?
    08-31-12 03:34 PM
    nope, they're not sealed as standard. all seals appear to be added later. back in the 90s, all cds bought in shrink wrap from hmv etc were sealed instore, and often resealed on numerous occasions. nothing new!
    Harryl6134 likes this.
    08-31-12 03:41 PM
    Fshop, western canada disc sealed
    I would be leary of buying this type of product w/o it !

Especially considering all this particular vendor, seems to have instock now is what they mark as "open box" stock with 5-20 only off msrp !

This weeks F'shop flyer 16gb for $150 (ya got a find a outlet with stock though) !
    08-31-12 05:39 PM
    They are supposed have two stickers on either flap of the box, once the stickers are removed it says 'security' if yours doesn't have it then its not new.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-01-12 12:44 AM
    Original one i bought at release from carphone warehouse wasnt sealed but it still had all the right bits inside, screen covers on etc (i kicked off in the shop about it at the time in case it was a demo unit or something, but the guy pulled 5 or 6 out of the batch and none of them had seals on). The one i've just picked up from currys/pcworld on offer did have seals

Could just be one of those things with different batches, on the plus side with it being good ol' england if it nacks up in the first year you can just throw it back at them in the store
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    09-01-12 04:35 AM
    I have bought 5 now(various members of the family) and the 2 originals I got around x-mas from amazon had seals, the three recent ones had no seals but all the stuff was in the box.
    09-01-12 05:35 AM
    There certainly appears to be no pattern.

Mine has just arrived from a mail order to PC World (all the shops within miles are sold out)

The box wasn't sealed - but the charger and leads were all in sealed packets and everything appears to be new/untouched. Same paperwork as the OP.
    09-01-12 06:50 AM
    Original one i bought at release from carphone warehouse wasnt sealed but it still had all the right bits inside, screen covers on etc (i kicked off in the shop about it at the time in case it was a demo unit or something, but the guy pulled 5 or 6 out of the batch and none of them had seals on). The one i've just picked up from currys/pcworld on offer did have seals

Could just be one of those things with different batches, on the plus side with it being good ol' england if it nacks up in the first year you can just throw it back at them in the store
    The Sale of Goods Act is fantastic!

Understanding the Sale of Goods Act - Sale of goods - Which? Consumer Rights

Know your rights! Don't take any crap from lying sales staff....
    09-01-12 08:34 AM
    I copped a playbook instore for 130 pound in the uk,reserved collected instore only to get home to find out it was not factory sealed like in many proper unboxing video's. It also only had the english manual the foriegn ones and the limited warranty booklets where no where to be seen as also the how to start up card's instructions beneath the playbook in the box where all missing other the the first initial english one about turning on and wifi. The playbook seems new untouched. If I would of known I would of definately kicked up a stink and demanded a factory sealed one. 130 quid or not if your buying a new product it should not be opened. Any queries or feedback? I bought it in london so they may have used the foriegn cards for tourist consumers. The box came very neat even though it had probably been opened. There was none of the two factory seal stickers anywhere to be seen on the outside box. Quality control? Or old stock clearance. They were making a big deal of reservation number and name maybe to gass me up and not investigate what I was buying. Any suggestions.? Thanks
    hi

they did exactly the same to me when i bought a playbook from PC world a few months ago .

i thought i would check it in the car before i took it home , there were NO seal stickers on the main box, there were NO seal stickers on any of the little black boxes for the leads and stuff inside , when i pulled the playbook out of the stretchy case it was not in a bag or anything and there was no rip off plastic screen cover .
    something didn't feel right when i picked it up which is why i checked it in the car before coming home .

on the outer black box , on the white sticker with the bar code on it there was a line from a ballpoint pen through it and a number or writing or some scribble on it .

my gut feeling was telling me they had given me a ex demo/display playbook .

I took it back right away and said i don't think this is knew .

the woman on the till called the sales man over who had been showing me the tablets and had got the box for me .
    5 min earlier they had been very smiley and friendly and happy to sell me a 170 tablet , now they had suddenly gone very cold and unhelpful .
    the look they gave each other and awkwardness of the salesman pretty much confirmed my suspicion that they had given me a ex display tablet and not a new one ,and that they knew it too.
    I said i am not happy its brand new , so he went off for 15 min to find me a new one . i made the mistake of letting him take the other one with him, i should have kept my hand on that just to make sure i was getting a different one .
    he did come back with a knew one , we opened it together and it had all the boxes inside all sealed and the playbook had a rip off screen cover .

If your playbook doesn't have those little sticker seals on everything and if the playbook doesn't have a rip off screen cover without lots of bubbles then they have sold you a ex display one .
    also check the box to see if it has anything scribbled in pen over the barcode sticker , because i think they do that to stop it from being mistakenly sold .

I would take it back if i was you .

one of the sales staff in another PC world , who was more helpful , told me , when i asked why i couldn't get half the tablets on display to work , that they are all f**ked , he said they are switched on all the time and that they all over heat and brake down quickly so they have to change them often .

so with that in mind the last thing you want is a ex display tablet . take it back , even if they don't except its not new you are still entitled to your money back .
    09-01-12 02:05 PM
    I bought 2 this week,one from Currys online and another today from A local Currys store.Niether had side stickers on the box.The PlayBook had the screen protector fitted,the power lead and usb lead where in sealed packets in a sealed black box.If it had been used you probably wouldn't have had to update the software when turned on....my first one did a 500mb full update,the second was only a 30 odd mb update,probably from a later batch.

I do think someone had been handling the second unit bought from the store...don't think it was ever turned on though,maybe they check them.

For one of the earlier posters my serial numbers were......1344_4237 and 1345_2776.
    Last edited by Broxster; 09-01-12 at 02:48 PM.
    09-01-12 02:38 PM
    Bought 32gb from Currys about 6 weeks ago (should have waited!) Box wasn't sealed in any way, but the box containing the charger and USB cable was security sealed and the screen protection film looked factory applied. As far as I can tell it was brand new, and is guaranteed as such. If yours works perfectly I wouldn't worry about it.
    09-02-12 10:08 AM
    Regards,

Where is made the 64 gb tablet ​​from Currys?
    Made in Taiwan? or?
    09-04-12 02:00 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD