As far as I can tell there is no good way to get a purchased app on more than one Playbook. Yes, I can actually transfer the apps, but I can only have one Playbook associated with a BBID at one time. I have to keep switching back and forth. If I want to update the apps, I need to reassociate the old Playbook with the BBID. This is really quite silly.

I love my Playbook - but this is one place Apple has actually enabled their users better than RIM. If I purchase an App from the Apple AppStore I can put that app on each of the iPods and iPhones in my family. But if I pay for the same app on my Playbook I can only put it on one Playbook officially.

Or am I missing something. I was told directly from RIM that I am supposed to purchase the app for each device.

This should be worked out.
    10-09-12 07:44 AM
    Well, you should by on each device... Provided each device has a different BBID. If it's on the same I'D, you don't need to.

I really think RIM understands your issue, but I also think that for the moment, BBID is still quite a mess (it's fairly new) and will still be a few iterations till they get it to work "just peachy".
    10-09-12 09:42 AM
    I have to PB's, both 64 Gb units. I have some of the same apps on both, just hit the re-associate button. Not a problem.
    As long as both PB's are "registered" to you. If you try to say, take your neighbors PB, and try to log on using YOUR BB ID, it won't work, unless you wipe and re-register as "your own".

You paid for the app, and you should be able to place your apps on your second playbook if need be. they both work and all is fine.

C
    Shintocam likes this.
    10-09-12 10:08 AM
    I had set several playbooks up with my BBID and got the same apps on all of them. When I realized it prevented video chat from working, I wiped them, set up individual BBid's and repurchased the apps each user really wanted.

If you want to have multiple pb's registered to your BBID, that is fine, but it is not unreasonable for developers/RIM to get paid for apps for other users.
    10-09-12 10:37 AM
    Consider me entered!
    10-18-12 01:04 PM
    Wow tried to enter the BB Music Gateway give away - and somehow it posted here.....and to top it off I cannot edit my post. Alas.
    10-18-12 01:07 PM
    I am having a hard time editing too... Something odd is afoot!!
    10-18-12 04:58 PM
    I bought another two PB's for a total of 4. Both new ones are stationary at home for media streaming, etc...

I re-associated my BBID for apps I purchased and managed to install them on the new units, but I agree...there should be a better way.

As for video chat, one of my existing PB's are a different BBID, so I can leave that at home while taking one with the other BBID with me.

Overall, it's working, but I would prefer not having this "work-around", when I own and use, all of them.
    10-18-12 06:49 PM
    I'm trying to get my kids games on both playbooks......I've read that with the same BBID you just 're-associate' ....can someone PLEASE tell me where this button is how do you do it?

Thanks
    03-15-13 12:37 PM
    If both pb's have the same bbid, just go to appworld or whatever the heck it is now called and start downloading the app. It should give you a warning or prompt and then REinstall it.
    03-15-13 05:35 PM
    I'm trying to get my kids games on both playbooks......I've read that with the same BBID you just 're-associate' ....can someone PLEASE tell me where this button is how do you do it?

Thanks

Once you've installed the App on a PB, it will appear under the "Installed" tab of AppWorld.

On any other PB you own (a PB that must have the same BBID), you'll see the same App, but this time it'll be under the "Uninstalled" tab. Just hit the ReInstall button next to the App, and the new PB will also download and install the App.

You'll now have the same App on both PBs, under the Installed tab in AppWorld, and both PBs will have unrestricted access to that App... the App is physically installed on both PBs and can be used independently, even simultaneously!

My boy and I are frequently playing Angry Birds on our PBs sat at either end of the couch.

You can have up to 5 PB's sharing a BBID to access AppWorld, and can switch between them unlimited times. That's what RIM's own knowledgebase says... but admittedly in unclear language.

AppWorld seems to keep a note of the "active PB", which is the one you used to get an App last. If you connect to AppWorld with a different PB (with the same BBID), a dialog box pops up to say (something like) "you are using a different PB PIN nnnnnnnn". Just hit "OK" and continue and now this new PB will become the "Active PB". I must have played this switcheroo game literally hundreds of times now.

So it doesn't matter which PB you install the App on first. The 2nd PB can re-install the same App (without paying again).
    Creaulx likes this.
    03-16-13 05:05 AM
    So essentially I would have to take my wife's PB and associate it with my BBID in order to install apps from my PB. I assume I'd lose anything she had purchased and installed on her PB - correct?
    04-06-13 08:37 PM
    So essentially I would have to take my wife's PB and associate it with my BBID in order to install apps from my PB. I assume I'd lose anything she had purchased and installed on her PB - correct?
    I can't recall if you do a backup of apps from her's before changing the bbid, if you could then restore them and then check UNinstalled to get the ones that were on your pb/bbid??????
    04-07-13 01:59 AM