So i got this Playbook from my sister for my birthday. Its been completely dead, and she lost the charger. i cant go out and get a charger from the stores as they dont sell any and i cant order online at the moment.

I was wondering if i could wire an old PSP charger running 2A/5v through a usb to power the Playbook? and how would i do that?

via BlackBerry 9300
    04-06-13 05:15 AM
    I'm not an electronics expert but if you can match the specs for the pb's original adapter you should be safe, although I don't know if there's any special signals that control charging.

You might be able to find the rapid chargers.

Access to online stores would probably help.

Good luck (and this reply will bump this thread so someone may have other ideas)
    04-06-13 09:03 AM
    Any USB charger with a micro-USB connector should charge the PlayBook, so long as it has at least a 1.8A capability. The PlayBook has within its innards the limits and process control to charge the battery correctly.

And, given that this PlayBook is dead, I don't doubt that it will need to be "stack-charged" to bring it up to the point where it will permit these circuits to function. Search CrackBerry for the process. You'll need some patience to get to the point where you don't need to supervise the charge.

Finding a BlackBerry Rapid charger shouldn't be that difficult to do, however.
    04-06-13 10:18 AM
    The thing I forgot to mention, the ac adapter that Rim/bbry sells as a rapid charger for their BBPHONES is the standard charger for the pb. So, stores might actually stock that charger calling it a phone rapid charger.
    bambinoitaliano likes this.
    04-06-13 11:00 AM
    See blackberry knowledge base. The Blackberry charger cord has the data wires shorted to each other and not all chargers are built this way. Be very careful how you plug anything into the usb port as it is possible to inset the plug wrong side up and damage the port. The port is actually installed so that the insertion is reversed from most other devices.

04-06-13 01:39 PM

Amazon.com: Blackberry Rapid Travel Charger for Playbook - Retail Packaging - Black: Computers & Accessories

The links are better choices.

Actually, you can use almost any micro USB charger like the ones that come with the phones. I got this one from Walmart for $15. Keep in mind it will charge very slow though and it's better to do so when it's completely off.

But the picture is the cheapo one from Walmart with minimal power.
    Attached Thumbnails PSP Charger for Playbook-20130406_170422.jpg   PSP Charger for Playbook-20130406_170432.jpg  
    Last edited by axllebeer; 04-06-13 at 04:17 PM.
    04-06-13 04:06 PM
    Wait!!!!!!! What type of Blackberry devices you have?????? If I'm not mad you have a 9300 blackberry curve? You can use that charger.
    04-06-13 08:53 PM
    Don't think using a phone charger is a good idea. You say stores don't have them but every Staples/Office depot I've been to has the standard charger along with dock/travel chargers in clearance section.

I always see them there. Give it a shot.

Sent from  using Tapatalk
    04-06-13 09:00 PM
    oh, i tried staples and office depot. they offered a phone charger at 1A. Then the cashier chick offered me a job, because another customer was nagging impatiently about Pens?!

And i tried my .75A charger. After 2days, there wasnt any progress. but thanks for the suggestions.

Sent via BlackBerry 9300
    04-07-13 10:33 AM