Cons: BackUp with Desktop Manager needs to be fixed.

Cons: Routers, ALL routers should be supported and work (especially if they did before).
    I have never had any issue backing up. Selectively or complete backup. I wish I knew what I do differently because I have seen a few people with the same issue. We all have the same hardware and software. The only variable I can think of is the PC or MAC that is running DM.

I have the standard Verizon router that only supports b/g I think. Maybe thats why I have had no trouble in that area either.

I agree updates shouldn't break things that worked before. Hopefully people with these issues visit the betazone forums and express their displeasure.
    12-04-11 07:38 PM
    Yes! The picture viewer DOES rotate. I need to edit my original post. This was fixed in one of the OS updates, because it did not originally work.
    12-04-11 07:57 PM
    OK, so are talking about Pros/Cons, or is this thread about audio, wi-fi and router choices, are pictures better taken in portrait mode, or landscape mode, F2's wipe, re-install, and 6 day back up plan, or what?
    but it sure has been interesting!
    12-04-11 07:57 PM
    Missing killer options for the playbook (hopefully in OS2):

1. Ability to download pictures from my camera.
    2. Ability to read/write to USB drives.
    3. Ability to print to a USB or network printer.
    4. Skype.
    5. Spotify.
    6. Ability to add custom tabs to main screen such as "utilities" etc.
    7. More options in the music player.
    8. Native email, contacts and calendar with two way sync to Outlook.

Pros:

1. Great user interface.
    2. Powerful processor.
    3. Multitasking.
    4. Perfect size and feel for a tablet.
    5. Ability to make presentations and picture shows on the road with HDMI.
    6. With the optional charging cradle it is always at hand for a quick web or email check.
    7. No virus or Apple law suits.
    8. No daily Apple advertising emails.
    12-04-11 08:22 PM
    While we appreciate all comments, this a pro/con thread for PB not a comparison thread of other devices or operating systems. Thank you for keeping on topic.
    12-04-11 10:44 PM
    We still can't seem to come up with the proper terms to describe the various TYPING aids.

I like the email feature where when I press send on my BB phone, it asks to check spelling and offers fixes but does not impose them. Seriously miss that.

I like the "dont" to "don't" and "i" to "I" etc type of fixes. I like the HOLD letter and it changes to UPPERcase.

I like my autotext, where I type "f" and SPACE and it places my name in and other such abbreviations or shorthands.

I do not mind auto-completion where I type "comp" and it offers completions (compare, complete, completes, completed, completing, etc) to those but I understand that drives some folks crazy (crazier!).
    On emails, it uses word substitution of your phone.
    12-05-11 01:49 AM
    Personally, I would add the following.

Pros...

Wonderful cameras for capturing video.
    Included fully functioning MS Office document editor
    Small compact profile
    Stereo front-facing speakers
    great gaming ability in the right hands

Cons...

Braindead keyboard (mentioned many times already).

Ability to sort bookmarks and choose default view of a list or thumbnail view.

Lack of mainstream apps that are on other platforms (Photoshop mobile & tons of others).

Without owning a BlackBerry phone, you really miss a lot of functionality from the PB out of the box.

Lack of games (what we have now from Gameloft and EA are great, but months behind iOS and Android) The PlayBook NEEDS games to help RIM break out of the boring stiff mold ascociated with the BlackBerry brand in general. We must have Angry Birds at least

Google Maps and other apps. I can't stand the unstable Bing maps with it's "auto quit" feature...

for a future PB model, add auto-focus and LED flash features to the rear camera.
    12-05-11 02:36 AM
    What problem are you having with the DM? I have not had a problem backing up my PB. And I done it every week since I bought it. Just this morning actually
    It just stopped working. Completely does NOT work (well, make that past tense - below). I could not do either a Complete or Custom backup. Both failed with error messages. I never had any "connection problems" which some report. I was always able to connect. But could not do either type of backup. I made a last backup in June and after that it never worked again. I tried various things (other than a complete pb wipe) - UNinstall DM, REinstall, try older and newer versions.

Finally, yesterday I used the Security Wipe and finally was able to backup. Now, that may be a solution but it is painfully tedious. It took me about 8 hours or so to get back my 20gigs of data and I still don't have all of my apps reinstalled. I lost all settings and all bookmarks and any app-centric settings or scores.
    12-05-11 09:12 AM
    On emails, it uses word substitution of your phone.
    It does not in my case. I've got substitutions on the phone and they do not work in email on the pb.

If I type the "F" I have assigned as a shortcut/substitution for my name, it does NOT expand. Just tried it again - no go.
    12-05-11 09:21 AM
    It does not in my case. I've got substitutions on the phone and they do not work in email on the pb.

If I type the "F" I have assigned as a shortcut/substitution for my name, it does NOT expand. Just tried it again - no go.
    I have a Bold 9900 (OS7) and I have just done the test.
    I have put on my BB in the word substitution register "f" to be replaced with "myname".
    I have opened a new email on the PB and typed "f" in the message and it was replaced by "myname" as soon as I pressed the space bar. It is myname***king true!
    12-05-11 09:44 AM
    I'm very new to the PB as I just got mine on Saturday, I've also never owned a BB product so I'm a complete noob in this area.
    So far I'm loving the PB, but I do agree with what most people have said so far.
    My biggest cons I've encountered so far are lack of native email, and lack of apps. But overall I find it to be a great tablet, and I love the size because it fits perfectly in my purse for on the go use.
    12-05-11 10:27 AM
    Pro: touch sensitive bezel is really clever. One often overlooked benefit is that videos can play using all the real estate of the screen. It bugs me to no end that Android tabs, even the 7" ones, will play with a permanent status bar wasting space.

Con: the bezel is not well utilized by apps. Really wish I could turn pages using bezel in epub or pdf apps.
    12-05-11 10:37 AM
    OK, so are talking about Pros/Cons, or is this thread about audio, wi-fi and router choices, are pictures better taken in portrait mode, or landscape mode, F2's wipe, re-install, and 6 day back up plan, or what?
    But aren't "audio, wi-fi and router choices, are pictures better taken in portrait mode, or landscape mode, F2's wipe, re-install, and 6 day back up plan" part of the pros and cons?
    FF22 likes this.
    12-05-11 10:43 AM
    I'm very new to the PB as I just got mine on Saturday, I've also never owned a BB product so I'm a complete noob in this area.
    So far I'm loving the PB, but I do agree with what most people have said so far.
    My biggest cons I've encountered so far are lack of native email, and lack of apps. But overall I find it to be a great tablet, and I love the size because it fits perfectly in my purse for on the go use.
    Welcome to Crackberry There are many here that will help you figure out how to get the most out of your device. Be sure to check out the Newbie Sticky. There is plenty to learn from that thread.
    ghostworld likes this.
    12-05-11 10:44 AM

works for me as well. I do believe it is case sensitive
    12-05-11 11:00 AM
    I have a Bold 9900 (OS7) and I have just done the test.
    I have put on my BB in the word substitution register "f" to be replaced with "myname".
    I have opened a new email on the PB and typed "f" in the message and it was replaced by "myname" as soon as I pressed the space bar. It is myname***king true!
    It may be a phone or phone-OS issue. I tested and while some of my OWN defined autotext worked, most of them did not. I did not carefully analyze the why's or wherefore's but might give that some time later. I'm still recovering from my Security Wipe and 20gigs of data restoration!!!!

Just played a bit and can't figure out why some work and others don't. F f do not work. No ucking way!
    Last edited by F2; 12-05-11 at 11:22 AM.
    12-05-11 11:11 AM
    another cons:
    1. No memory card slot (micro SD or SD card)
    2. No user's access for replacement battery (must do it the hard way by dissecting the PB)
    12-05-11 11:35 AM
    another cons:
    2. No user's access for replacement battery (must do it the hard way by dissecting the PB)
    I agree. For those of us that like to tinker with things having a door and screws is nice. The problem I think is a door on the back would mean they would have to cover up other vital parts of the PB. That would add bulk and take away the smooth back. Given the two options I would take a smooth sealed up PB. Hopefully failed batteries won't be an issue. I haven't heard of that yet.
    12-05-11 11:55 AM
    I agree. For those of us that like to tinker with things having a door and screws is nice. The problem I think is a door on the back would mean they would have to cover up other vital parts of the PB. That would add bulk and take away the smooth back. Given the two options I would take a smooth sealed up PB. Hopefully failed batteries won't be an issue. I haven't heard of that yet.
    +1 I do wish they would've made a way to replace it without taking it apart. Another apple trick they shouldn't have followed.
    jamesbondOO7 likes this.
    12-05-11 12:06 PM
    another cons:
    I definitely agree with this as well!
    12-05-11 02:34 PM
    I've recently had the browser crashing a lot on me. That, IMO is a big CON I can't determine if it's because of a new app I've installed or what, but it's a little frustrating. I think it's because of flash, actually. A lot of times it's while browsing Crackberry, too...

Google Maps not working sucks.

The bridge (to my 9900) seems to be slow and often "crashes", or becomes unresponsive. If I reset the bluetooth or bridge on my phone it clears it up, but then I often get old BBM or Mail notices on the PB, which is annoying as they reappear time and time again. It's almost like if I don't read it on the phone, they keep coming back.

In web browsing when scrolling, the pb sometimes takes my scrolling as a "click" (seems to only happen on flash ads) and opens a new tab with the ad. I have to consciously remember to scroll away from flash ads, or other links. It's an annoyance.

The cameras are crap in low-light conditions.

Looking and waiting for an RPD client.

Transferring files to it from your phone/computer should be easier. This USB network thing is just ********. (I can't use Desktop Manager as I'm using Linux at home). Why not mass storage device with password?? I haven't done wifi transfers and will tackle that next.

The PDF viewer is garbage and doesn't allow for zooming or any page manipulation at all. Not even a jump to page #?

Accessing the file system is not intuitive (haven't tried 3rd party) unless you're looking for one of the 4 types it wants to show you.

Those are my biggest gripes so far (aside from lack of some killer apps that other platforms have - skype, kindle, etc).

PRO's are amazing screen and extremely intuitive UI once you understand the gestures.
    simplest, smoothest (and most powerful?) multitasking around.

Anyway, it sounds like a have a lot of issues with it when the actual fact is, I love it and find myself picking it up all the time... and then sitting there thinking what else can I do with it?
    Here's hoping for a big influx of apps in the near future, because honestly, that's the only thing preventing this from taking off. I really think it's gotten a bad rap in the media simply because of the lack of native email/calendar/contacts. It's a sweet device!
    12-05-11 03:07 PM
    works for me as well. I do believe it is case sensitive
    Well, I have tried both and the thing is so myname***ing clever, it replaced "f" with "myname" and "F" with "MYNAME". I was mynamelabbergasted!
    12-05-11 04:23 PM
    We need a native file manager and a very BIG update of the Adobe Reader, i mean.. come on, it is very primitive and also ive been experiencing bad battery life... a very good pro for the PlayBook is that i rather use it because of its size than my iPad.. i take the PB everywhere
    Last edited by iSin; 12-05-11 at 04:43 PM.
    ungibbed likes this.
    12-05-11 04:38 PM
    We need a native file manager and a very BIG update of the Adobe Reader, i mean.. come on, it is very primitive and also ive been experiencing bad battery life... a very good pro for the PlayBook is that i rather use it because of its size than my iPad.. i take the PB everywhere
    There are ways to help with battery performance. Under options (the gear on the top right) screen, battery: decrease the brightness, change the time out to 1 min, turn on auto dimming, and set standby time-out to 90 seconds. Also when you are going to put it down tap the battery icon and hit standby
    12-05-11 05:04 PM
    I've recently had the browser crashing a lot on me. That, IMO is a big CON I can't determine if it's because of a new app I've installed or what, but it's a little frustrating. I think it's because of flash, actually. A lot of times it's while browsing Crackberry, too...

Google Maps not working sucks.

The bridge (to my 9900) seems to be slow and often "crashes", or becomes unresponsive. If I reset the bluetooth or bridge on my phone it clears it up, but then I often get old BBM or Mail notices on the PB, which is annoying as they reappear time and time again. It's almost like if I don't read it on the phone, they keep coming back.

In web browsing when scrolling, the pb sometimes takes my scrolling as a "click" (seems to only happen on flash ads) and opens a new tab with the ad. I have to consciously remember to scroll away from flash ads, or other links. It's an annoyance.

The cameras are crap in low-light conditions.

Looking and waiting for an RPD client.

Transferring files to it from your phone/computer should be easier. This USB network thing is just ********. (I can't use Desktop Manager as I'm using Linux at home). Why not mass storage device with password?? I haven't done wifi transfers and will tackle that next.

The PDF viewer is garbage and doesn't allow for zooming or any page manipulation at all. Not even a jump to page #?

Accessing the file system is not intuitive (haven't tried 3rd party) unless you're looking for one of the 4 types it wants to show you.

Those are my biggest gripes so far (aside from lack of some killer apps that other platforms have - skype, kindle, etc).

PRO's are amazing screen and extremely intuitive UI once you understand the gestures.
    simplest, smoothest (and most powerful?) multitasking around.

Anyway, it sounds like a have a lot of issues with it when the actual fact is, I love it and find myself picking it up all the time... and then sitting there thinking what else can I do with it?
    Here's hoping for a big influx of apps in the near future, because honestly, that's the only thing preventing this from taking off. I really think it's gotten a bad rap in the media simply because of the lack of native email/calendar/contacts. It's a sweet device!
    Although I agree the PDF viewer is a pain, you can zoom in and you can jump to specific pages. Pinch to zoom and swipe down to access the page jump slider at the bottom.
    Hgouck likes this.
    12-05-11 06:21 PM
88 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD