Whoo hoo! I did not realize that when I had to update to OS 1.0.7.2942 the picture viewer now rotates. Yea! This is why i love this forum, i lean something new about the PB everyday. Now, if someone can tell me how to make Bluetooth audio work...
    12-04-11 04:11 PM
    You can update the OS to 1.0.8.4985
    12-04-11 04:15 PM
    There are some very strong opinions with regards to the Playbook. Not sure if this will be possible but it would be interesting and possible helpful to new Playbook owners and prospective owners to know what the pros and cons are of the PB.
    I would recommend to those who are extremely techy to list them in a why that most non tech people will understand.
    Pros:
    1. The 7" size is easily carried and small enough to put in a pocket or purse but big enough to see
    2. The bridge feature which allows for connecting to a BB phone and viewing messages, contacts, calender, files, and using the BB phones browser to connect to the internet
    3. Its ability to multi task
    4. The clarity of videos and pictures
    5. When connected to WiFi the browser is a full function browser
    6. The camera front and back.
    Cons:
    1. No auto correct
    2. No spell checker
    3. No native email,calender, or messenger
    4. No 3g or 4g connection

I am interested in what others have found. Please be concise and considerate to other posters.
    I am in agreement with your pros and cons with the exception of pro #5. I don't disagree with that assessment, but rather would like to see the bridged browser have full functionality rather than having to rely on wifi.
    I am saying this as a noob PB owner, so if I'm missing something, I would appreciate any info on enhancing the bridge browser. Thanks.
    12-04-11 04:22 PM
    You can update the OS to 1.0.8.4985
    what does it offer over 1.0.7.2942? does it allow bluetooth audio? Ive read that it has wifi issues and possibly camera issues.
    12-04-11 04:27 PM
    Both browsers work(as well as many apps) while connected to the bridge. I'm not quite sure what you mean.
    12-04-11 04:31 PM
    OK F2 if that happens you can come and get me
    All I know about you is "in a house" so the getting part could be hard.

(doing my 3rd interim backup right now with 60 apps installed)....

Someone mentioned Portrait Mode, I thought was actually was one of the fixes???
    12-04-11 04:31 PM
    it works, always has.
    Actually, it did not ALWAYS. That was included in update 2 or 3 or whatever.
    12-04-11 04:33 PM
    What am I missing? Doesn't the PB have spell check? It underlines any words spelled wrong.
    I don't like autocorrect. Have it turned of on my torch.
    We still can't seem to come up with the proper terms to describe the various TYPING aids.

I like the email feature where when I press send on my BB phone, it asks to check spelling and offers fixes but does not impose them. Seriously miss that.

I like the "dont" to "don't" and "i" to "I" etc type of fixes. I like the HOLD letter and it changes to UPPERcase.

I like my autotext, where I type "f" and SPACE and it places my name in and other such abbreviations or shorthands.

I do not mind auto-completion where I type "comp" and it offers completions (compare, complete, completes, completed, completing, etc) to those but I understand that drives some folks crazy (crazier!).
    12-04-11 04:39 PM
    I am in agreement with your pros and cons with the exception of pro #5. I don't disagree with that assessment, but rather would like to see the bridged browser have full functionality rather than having to rely on wifi.
    I am saying this as a noob PB owner, so if I'm missing something, I would appreciate any info on enhancing the bridge browser. Thanks.
    Well, if we are taking exception to #5, it is not a full browser. There are sites that treat it as a mobile browser with no escape from that determination. Some sites will allow you to go full.

GoogleMaps does not work on the pb.

I have a credit union site that for some reason or other (poor coding probably) that overlays elements (links) atop one another making it hard to press a link (no problems with IE)
    12-04-11 04:44 PM
    what does it offer over 1.0.7.2942? does it allow bluetooth audio? Ive read that it has wifi issues and possibly camera issues.
    No, no a2dp. It is around the corner of the next year, around Feb or expected or NOT! And yes, folks have had both wifi and camera issues. The wifi has workarounds. The camera - I am not sure.
    12-04-11 04:47 PM
    When you bridge your PB to your BB phone it uses your 3g/4g connection to access the internet. So if there are limitations in the connection it is from using the phones wireless service.
    12-04-11 04:51 PM
    We still can't seem to come up with the proper terms to describe the various TYPING aids.

I like the email feature where when I press send on my BB phone, it asks to check spelling and offers fixes but does not impose them. Seriously miss that.

I like the "dont" to "don't" and "i" to "I" etc type of fixes. I like the HOLD letter and it changes to UPPERcase.

I like my autotext, where I type "f" and SPACE and it places my name in and other such abbreviations or shorthands.

I do not mind auto-completion where I type "comp" and it offers completions (compare, complete, completes, completed, completing, etc) to those but I understand that drives some folks crazy (crazier!).
    I think we can all agree that we should have all those options and the ability to choose between them. Auto completion is the only thing I really dislike. It breaks my train of thought when words randomly pop up.
    FF22 and kbz1960 like this.
    12-04-11 04:52 PM
    I am hoping someone else can answer this. The WiFi issues are connecting on a N wireless router and WPA2 sometimes. Both have work arounds. I have not noticed any challenges with the camera. I do not use bluetooth audio so I can not adress that issue
    12-04-11 04:56 PM
    When you bridge your PB to your BB phone it uses your 3g/4g connection to access the internet. So if there are limitations in the connection it is from using the phones wireless service.
    I understand that, but what I perhaps should have stated more clearly is that there are certain sites like appworld that you must have a wifi connection to download from, even though that site is accessible from my phone.
    12-04-11 04:59 PM
    No, no a2dp. It is around the corner of the next year, around Feb or expected or NOT! And yes, folks have had both wifi and camera issues. The wifi has workarounds. The camera - I am not sure.
    I am not sure what a2dp is or does. Can you briefly explain?
    12-04-11 05:03 PM
    I am not sure what a2dp is or does. Can you briefly explain?
    a2dp = Advanced Audio Distribution Profile

That is what allows stereo music and music from videos to play over wireless Bluetooth (BT) headsets.

Now, what keeps happening here in Crackberry is that folks forget that there was even a simpler BT. That was what allowed those smaller earpieces to just allow wireless connections between the phone and earpiece - monoaural sound or just the voice call (I'm sure someone can state its actual name/term). The pb does not even support that simpler standard. Is is what allows "hands-free" communication.

Here's what Phonescoop says:

"A2DP
    Advanced Audio Distribution Profile
    A Bluetooth profile (mode) for streaming audio, such as from a music phone to headphones.
    Compared to profiles such as Headset and Handsfree, A2DP supports stereo audio, and is one-way instead of two-way."
    Hgouck likes this.
    12-04-11 05:19 PM
    Okay veering off the topic a bit. (Dont think its worth a new thread)
    Is it me or we really do not need all that bezel on 7inch devices? I mean you hold 7 inch devices differently from 10 inch ones therefore less would suffice..
    12-04-11 05:25 PM
    I hope I am not doing anything wrong by coping this here I just thought it was on topic for this post

While the browser works well in most instances, it sometimes does not load sites or you have to reload. A few sites report compatibility issues. Also:

1. No page up/dn option so you often inadvertently open new tabs instead when you try to scroll.
    2. Scrolling is difficult to do effectively.
    3. With the top bar minimized you can not scroll forward.
    4. Typing this it does not detect the need for capital letters following a line feed. Nor does it detect numbered bullets.
    5. You can not navigate the text with a forward/back key.
    6. When login in to web pages the text entry does not always go to the next line, but instead tries to load the next page.
    7. It is sometimes difficult to select hyper links on web pages such as when selecting ”tic” options which tend to be very small.
    8. There is no option to place favorite links in folders.
    9. The cut/paste option is difficult to use.
    12-04-11 05:41 PM
    Pros:
    1. The 7" size is easily carried and small enough to put in a pocket or purse but big enough to see
    2. The bridge feature which allows for connecting to a BB phone and viewing messages, contacts, calender, files, and using the BB phones browser to connect to the internet
    3. Its ability to multi task
    4. The clarity of videos and pictures
    5. When connected to WiFi the browser is a full function browser
    6. The camera front and back.
    Cons:
    1. No auto correct
    2. No spell checker
    3. No native email,calender, or messenger
    4. No 3g or 4g connection <---not necessary for me

I am interested in what others have found. Please be concise and considerate to other posters.
    I somewhat agree with this except for the last con.

Playbook still rules.
    12-04-11 05:50 PM
    You can also bridge a wifi connection from your phone. I have an unusual situation where the playbook is not allowed to connect to my company's network but i can bridge with the phone while it is on the wifi network even with the mobile connection turned off.
    Hgouck likes this.
    12-04-11 05:53 PM
    OK, so are talking about Pros/Cons, or is this thread about audio, wi-fi and router choices, are pictures better taken in portrait mode, or landscape mode, F2's wipe, re-install, and 6 day back up plan, or what?
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-04-11 06:21 PM
    Throughout the thread there has been pretty good feedback. On topic posts would be appreciated
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    12-04-11 06:26 PM
    I'm just glad its civil conversation. It seems the pro's outweigh the con's so far and that about how I feel.
    bpdude and kbz1960 like this.
    12-04-11 07:00 PM
    OK, so are talking about Pros/Cons, or is this thread about audio, wi-fi and router choices, are pictures better taken in portrait mode, or landscape mode, F2's wipe, re-install, and 6 day back up plan, or what?
    Cons: BackUp with Desktop Manager needs to be fixed.

Cons: Routers, ALL routers should be supported and work (especially if they did before).
    12-04-11 07:21 PM
    Cons: BackUp with Desktop Manager needs to be fixed.

Cons: Routers, ALL routers should be supported and work (especially if they did before).
    What problem are you having with the DM? I have not had a problem backing up my PB. And I done it every week since I bought it. Just this morning actually
    12-04-11 07:34 PM
88 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD