There are some very strong opinions with regards to the Playbook. Not sure if this will be possible but it would be interesting and possible helpful to new Playbook owners and prospective owners to know what the pros and cons are of the PB.
    I would recommend to those who are extremely techy to list them in a why that most non tech people will understand.
    Pros:
    1. The 7" size is easily carried and small enough to put in a pocket or purse but big enough to see
    2. The bridge feature which allows for connecting to a BB phone and viewing messages, contacts, calender, files, and using the BB phones browser to connect to the internet
    3. Its ability to multi task
    4. The clarity of videos and pictures
    5. When connected to WiFi the browser is a full function browser
    6. The camera front and back.
    Cons:
    1. No auto correct
    2. No spell checker
    3. No native email,calender, or messenger
    4. No 3g or 4g connection

I am interested in what others have found. Please be concise and considerate to other posters.
    Last edited by Hgouck; 12-04-11 at 01:12 PM.
    kbz1960 and Bob31464 like this.
    12-04-11 11:57 AM
    This thread is a very good idea. I am rather pessimistic as to where it is going to go unfortunately.
    I would add as positive the HDMI connection and the presentation mode, the ease of touching, swiping and moving around the various programmes, the ease to manage files.
    As a BB phone owner, I like the security provided by the bridge as opposed to having native email and contact, especially as a tablet is a device that one can pass around easily. Plus I am always synchronised with my phone (obviously) and my phone is always reconciled with my Outlook through bluetooth.
    I have no need for autocorrect and very little need for apps.
    I don't have any real negatives, apart from the lack of a good eReader (books and magazines). It would be nice if the Acrobat reader would not ignore folders instead of listing all files of each type, even if they have been sorted into folders. I am pretty sure it will come soon.
    Obviously, other products might deliver the same. But this is not the point of this thread.
    Last edited by jamesbondOO7; 12-04-11 at 12:12 PM.
    Hgouck likes this.
    12-04-11 12:09 PM
    PROS: What You Listed. I might add, there is no need for a 3G/4G model since the PB has virtually all the connectivity you need. 3G simply means that the PB is another contract you'll have to make with your provider so that it behaves every bit like a cell phone, minus the phone capability; who needs that? Wi-Fi, Bridge, and if you MUST spend more money, then use your phone's hotspot capability and connect the PB.

CONS: What you listed minus the 3G/4G plus:Apps that I need; I don't want or need games. I'd like to see, and gladly pay for:

Medical apps
    Aviation related apps/Utilities
    Camera+ App
    Luma App
    Streaming stock market app

and I'm sure there are more I'd like to see.
    Hgouck likes this.
    12-04-11 12:11 PM
    It should read no autocorrect instead of no spellcheck.
    Hgouck likes this.
    12-04-11 12:44 PM
    OP pretty good list.

The only other downfalls I find now are not as many apps as other and immature OS right now. All of that and the rest of the cons will fixed.
    Hgouck likes this.
    12-04-11 12:54 PM
    Fortunately...

all the cons that I had in mind have been taken down thanks to my experience with OS2 beta:

- needed: App for handwriting with a stylus.
    - found: Android App.

- needed: a circuit simulator similar to iCircuit

- needed: Native Email
    - found: Messages Throu Bridge and KaitenMail when not Bridging.

- needed: Application for Highlight PDFs or adding notes in a PDF

All my other needs have been met with with Native Apps.

For games, I gotta say the ones I have installed on my PB are pretty much decent and
    entertaining.

THE ONLY ACTIVE CON I FIND (for my use)
    - No support of USB OTG. (I have a micro usb adapter)
    12-04-11 01:00 PM
    CONS: No bluetooth audio. Very primitive PDF reader and pretty primitive Word To Go. No Netflix, no Kindle, Skype. Picture viewer works in landscape only,(WRONG! ITS FIXED!) even tho camera works in landscape and portrait.
    Last edited by wms3; 12-04-11 at 07:59 PM.
    Hgouck likes this.
    12-04-11 01:01 PM
    PROS: What You Listed. I might add, there is no need for a 3G/4G model since the PB has virtually all the connectivity you need. 3G simply means that the PB is another contract you'll have to make with your provider so that it behaves every bit like a cell phone, minus the phone capability; who needs that? Wi-Fi, Bridge, and if you MUST spend more money, then use your phone's hotspot capability and connect the PB.
    Personal I would not have a need for 3g/4g. I agree that if the PB can connect with your phone and utilize its capacity to connect to the internet that is enough for me. I also believe since the PB browser does not have the limitations of a mobile browser on a phone there would be a benefit to some who would need that. Also, for me, I would not want to track another Email, contact list, or calender but again their appears to be a need for a native one.
    12-04-11 01:02 PM
    i dont like auto correct, maybe a spell check, but i do not write enough on here for that. native e mail would be good and bad, privacy concerns... is there anyway to set a password on the pb
    12-04-11 01:08 PM
    i dont like auto correct, maybe a spell check, but i do not write enough on here for that. native e mail would be good and bad, privacy concerns... is there anyway to set a password on the pb
    Yes there is. Options (the gear on the top right ofscreen) under security
    12-04-11 01:10 PM
    I predict that by page 6, if that long, this thread will be closed by internal bickering.

I'll be back with my LISTS soon but my pb will be inactive for a number of hours. I've finally backed up my files/folders and it is going to take excruciatingly long to copy back my data. I am going to wipe and reinstall the OS.

I've got 2,806 files in 130 folders taking up 20.8gigs of space.
    12-04-11 01:37 PM
    I predict that by page 6, if that long, this thread will be closed by internal bickering.

I'll be back with my LISTS soon but my pb will be inactive for a number of hours. I've finally backed up my files/folders and it is going to take excruciatingly long to copy back my data. I am going to wipe and reinstall the OS.

I've got 2,806 files in 130 folders taking up 20.8gigs of space.
    You think it will last that long? Waiting for the first poster with only 1 or 2 posts.
    12-04-11 01:40 PM
    You think it will last that long? Waiting for the first poster with only 1 or 2 posts.
    Shouldn't be long now.
    12-04-11 01:44 PM
    Well, I've started the WIPE.

But I can tell you, if the OS 1.0.8 re-install blows away my camera, there will be he!! to pay. My router does not do N, so that's not an issue. But maybe a OS install will fix that video glitch where there is that pause a few seconds into the recording and playback.
    12-04-11 01:54 PM
    Well, I've started the WIPE.

But I can tell you, if the OS 1.0.8 re-install blows away my camera, there will be he!! to pay. My router does not do N, so that's not an issue. But maybe a OS install will fix that video glitch where there is that pause a few seconds into the recording and playback.
    OK F2 if that happens you can come and get me
    12-04-11 01:56 PM
    CONS: No bluetooth audio. Very primitive PDF reader and pretty primitive Word To Go. No Netflix, no Kindle, Skype. Picture viewer works in landscape only, even tho camera works in landscape and portrait.
    umm... since when?
    12-04-11 02:04 PM
    umm... since when?
    what is your experience?
    12-04-11 02:18 PM
    Just tried, it works.
    Hgouck likes this.
    12-04-11 02:20 PM
    it works, always has.
    Hgouck likes this.
    12-04-11 02:32 PM
    it works, always has.
    The camera works in both portrat and landscape
    Does the bluetooth work?
    12-04-11 02:36 PM
    Pro's

- Form Factor:
    7" size is excellent for portable yet viewable screen
    - BlackBerry Bridge:
    Viewing corporate emails, and personal emails on the device while not leaving them behind, allowing you to freely share your device with family and friends on trips without risk of information leaking
    - Gestures:
    Once you get used to them, every other touch screen device is frustrating.
    - App switching:
    This is part because of gestures, part because of the hardware, part because of the cards interface, swiping back and forward between apps is fast and smooth
    - Games:
    Need4Speed, was so fun! I never enjoyed a racing game until this game, more and more fun games are popping up, slowly it is becoming a portable gaming system.
    - Presenter mode, / microHDMI / microUSB out no additional parts needed

Con's

- Form Factor
    The size makes sharing presentations without an external monitor a challenge, the corners are not shaped nicely for portrait keyboards
    - Lack of Apps:
    The developer community still has not gotten on board which is a shame.
    - Games:
    This device can eat many hours of productivity
    - Lack of Multiple same instance app launching
    Can't have more than 2 Excel files open at once when using a bridge work around.
    - Flash Implementation!!! without keyboard/mouse, you can't mouseover, a floating cursor could have been made to pull up,
    Hgouck likes this.
    12-04-11 02:39 PM
    What am I missing? Doesn't the PB have spell check? It underlines any words spelled wrong.
    I don't like autocorrect. Have it turned of on my torch.
    12-04-11 03:03 PM
    What am I missing? Doesn't the PB have spell check? It underlines any words spelled wrong.
    I don't like autocorrect. Have it turned of on my torch.
    I am a horrible speller and the PB underlines what I have missed spelled but does not help with the correction
    12-04-11 03:15 PM
    the PB underlines what I have missed spelled
    Isn't that a spell check?
    12-04-11 03:25 PM
    I guess it would be auto correct that gives the possible correct word options
    12-04-11 03:27 PM
88 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD