I'm thinking about ditching the native Messages app for email use and replacing it with the android Email app, which is part of the Playbook's android runtime. Android Email has a couple of advantages over Messages. First, while Messages takes about 8 seconds to launch and load on my Playbook, Email launches in under 2 seconds. Second, Email doesn't have the 30 day old message limit that Messages has. Finally, Email doesn't have the problem, for me at least, of prompting me for passwords or failing to connect to my email servers that Messages occasionally has. The biggest problem with android Email, however, is that there is currently no way to launch the app from the desktop, rather, it must be launched though another app (Ghost Commander, Quick App Manager, etc.) which kind of defeats its quick launch advantage. What I'm looking for is someone who could create a desktop launcher for Email, which I and I suspect many others might find useful. There is precedent for this- someone wrote a launcher for Android Gallery, another android runtime app, which allows one to launch Gallery directly from the desktop. This is a free app in app world. I extracted the apk from the Gallery launcher, and the apk can be found here- https://db.tt/IEQ2Z2oE Would it be possible for someone to tweak this apk so it launches Email rather than Gallery?
    Cynycl and mh1983 like this.
    02-24-14 08:08 PM
    I'd like this as well.
    02-26-14 08:59 AM
    I suppose an alternative could be to sideload another android email app which would give you the desktop icon?? could you sideload another google email app version as a seperate app perhaps??

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    02-27-14 02:27 PM
    It's not ideal, but you could open email through Quick Launch Manager, close Quick Launch, then moving forward Quick Launch should open the email app.

Like I said, not ideal, but throwing it out there.

Nealjane's suggestion is worth exploring, too. Here's a sideload option on Goodereader: Boomerang: Email App for Gmail for BB10
    02-27-14 03:07 PM
    I suppose an alternative could be to sideload another android email app which would give you the desktop icon??
    Doesn't work. Android Email will not install correctly.

could you sideload another google email app version as a seperate app perhaps??
    I'm not looking for a Gmail app, but rather a general Email app. I've got Kaiten mail but I don't particularly like it.
    02-27-14 03:57 PM
    It's not ideal, but you could open email through Quick Launch Manager, close Quick Launch, then moving forward Quick Launch should open the email app.
    As I said, I use QAM to launch android Email. If you're suggesting that launching Email through QAM, and then closing QAM while Email is stll running, and that reopening QAM will automatically launch Email, well, it doesn't work that way.
    02-27-14 04:01 PM
    As I said, I use QAM to launch android Email. If you're suggesting that launching Email through QAM, and then closing QAM while Email is stll running, and that reopening QAM will automatically launch Email, well, it doesn't work that way.
    Well, I just tried my suggestion and it worked.
    nealjane1 likes this.
    02-28-14 04:36 AM
    Doesn't work. Android Email will not install correctly.

I'm not looking for a Gmail app, but rather a general Email app. I've got Kaiten mail but I don't particularly like it.
    I know that. I only meant it as the standard google/android email app.....were only trying to help!

Posted via CB10
    02-28-14 07:08 AM
    A faster way to launch the android email app is to download black search from the appworld, open the app write an e and just press the email icon after that you just have to open black search and the email icon will be right there.
    03-10-14 12:05 AM
    Also I have not been able to make my hotmail email account work with the android email app, what about you guys?
    03-10-14 04:16 AM
    So an update to this relatively old thread. I finally can now launch android email straight from my homescreen. It did involve a wipe and a little trickery to do it, though. After wiping my playbook, as usual, I was left with only the PB browser. My intent, at this point, was NOT to install the available update to get the rest of the core apps, but rather to selectively install only those apps that I wanted and actually use. I have the bar files from 2.1.0.1526, and started sideloading some core apps- app world, pictures, videos, etc., and while I was at it I decided to sideload a couple of android apps, including android email 2.1 (I believe). I've sideloaded email before, but while it would install successfully, it would open, then ask for permissions, and then force close. This time after installing, tapping on the icon- nothing. Same was true for the other androis apps I installed- nothing. Obviously, the android player was part of the update I had bypassed. I didn't have the android player bars from 1526, but I did have them from the original OS 2.1 beta. So I sideloaded these bars, then tapped on the Email icon, and voila, it took me to the email account setup screen. After setting up my accounts, tapping the homescreen icon now opens the app. What might be the effect of now loading the available update, I don't know.

The advantages of android email over messages, some of which I noted above, are quicker launch times, no 30 day limit, quicker deletion of mail, and no prompting for passwords (messages had problems remembering my Yahoo password).. The downside is that some messages take longer to load (usually commercial email- not mail from real people) and no automatic syncing of contacts and the like.

One issue for me is that I'm now stuck running the 2.1 beta android player. Does anyone know of any available bars for a later version of the andoid player, specifically sys.android.bar and sys.android.shell_arm.bar?

Programmers- Who can write a simple app/android Email launcher?-img_00000003.png
    mh1983 likes this.
    08-28-14 12:24 PM
    All apps from 2.1.0.1917: http://l.bitcasa.com/qc6xyhSs

Posted via CB10
    pacoman03 likes this.
    08-28-14 12:29 PM
    Thanks. Downloading now. We'll see if I can load the new android player over top of the beta version I'm now running.
    08-28-14 12:48 PM
    Oh well. The new android player loaded overtop of the old one just fine, but it killed my ability to lauch Email from my homescreen. It now force closes like it used to. I guess I'm stuck to rewiping and using the beta player if I want the homescreen function back.
    08-28-14 01:27 PM