10-11-12 03:39 PM
52 123
tools
    was in australia not too long ago with a PB and iPhone 3G. All on wifi. PB had no issues whatsoever, iphone had issues sending receiving emails at time. Big difference.

On the other hand, leaving wifi on on PB makes it a battery guzzler. Lets hope they polish energy saving features in 2.1 (no issue on OS1 before update though).
    04-13-12 11:32 AM
    Hmmm yes jeffrey is right, unfortunately the only way to resolve this is for you to buy us tickets to go back there and troubleshoot it!

PS: I only fly first class, just so you know. I'll send you my particulars and available dates for booking.
    kbz1960, DPSydBerry and Hgouck like this.
    04-13-12 11:33 AM
    I can confirm that the playbook WIFI is glitchy. I have seen wierdness with it.
    04-13-12 11:46 AM
    Actually I had the reverse situation.... I took ye old IPad 2 instead of my Playbook ( wife would not part with it....) for a trip to Utah.... as with you... all was well going down but when I arrived at the Hotel I was staying at .... same issue... IPad saw the network no problem when I tried to log on.... no go.... Went to meeting at a different location.... Had WIFI logeed in.... no problem..... As I service computers for a living, I did a bit of digging and in my case it was their router....

It is unfortunate that many of these incidents are what usually define users view of a given platform.... If BB and Apple had made all the components when networking it would be a valid complaint.... In my field of work I could write a book on things that shoiuld work and do not.....

Welcome to the wild and wacky world of connecivity.....
    LOL Same for us. We were just down in Vegas for a week and my wife's iPad wouldn't connect at the resort we were at, but her PB and mine would. She took it to a cafe and it would connect there. We tried everything and she gave up. She has yet to transfer her email to her PB, the only reason she was even using the iPad. Go figure
    04-13-12 11:52 AM
    A great part of the issue involves what we used to call token passing; everything coming and going is in little packets to ensure accuracy, and part of that is signal quality. I often with the PB find myself turning off the dual-band capability. Sometimes I have only connected by holding it vertically and then pointing the bottom toward the source. Remember you absorb a lot of radio signal, and the router needs a good signal from your PB, too. With 20+ years in military telecom, I agree that there is still much to fix, in particular the random decision that an excellent saved and working connection suddenly goes to acquire mode.
    Oh, and don't forget that you may have issues when you are also using BT and/or are bridged.
    heppyX likes this.
    04-13-12 12:09 PM
    I think all Wifi could be glitchy. What is possible is that the routers they used were much older (it is 'downsouth'.. Their budget im sure isnt too broad..). The router was obviously very compatible with Apple products. That's all you used so its hard to pinpoint. Router manufacturers are usually responsible for handling different type/brands of devices, I guess the PB wasn't one of them. Did you ever try out the PB with the wifi turned off by the way? Like you turn it off, then reboot it so it turns back on with no wifi just to be sure.

Anyway, its unlikely this problem will ever get resolved here. We will never know the reason, but for now, just enjoy using your PB since its fine. The location you were at obviously caused some sort of problem.
    04-13-12 12:13 PM
    I'm a photographer and recently returned from shooting a wedding in Barbados and wanted to share my dismal PlayBook experience with you all. I'm an iOS user primarily but I when OS2 was finally released, I decided to purchase a PlayBook. I have to say that up until now, my experience with the PlayBook has been pretty much exceptional. There are a few issues / bugs to iron out in OS2, but overall, I love(d) my PlayBook. So, here's what happened.

I loaded up the PlayBook with a bunch of video for the flight (RIM; please, please, please add an AC3 audio codec to your video player and the ability to resume where you left off!) and was off to the airport. WiFi has generally worked well since I've owned the PlayBook and the airport was no exception. Connected up to the free hotspot and was happily checking my email and reading my news in the News app. Perfect!

Got on the plane, Airplane mode on, kicked back and watched some shows during the flight. Again, perfect!

Got to the resort where we were staying, turned off Airplane mode and attempted to connect to their WiFi and here is where everything fell apart...

The PlayBook was able to see all of the resort's base stations without issue but was not able to connect to any of them. Hmmm... Strange... Then pulled out my iPhone and my iPad and connected without issue with both of them. My MacBook Pro connected without issue. My wife's iPhone and her MacBook Pro connected without issue. So, essentially every other wireless device we had with us, worked as normal and connected to the resort's WiFi perfectly. PlayBook? Not so much.

And then things get really strange...

Looking at the connection info in the WiFi settings on the PlayBook showed that I was, in fact, connected and even showed a valid IP address and DNS server but with no actual data ever making it to the PlayBook. Odd... Deleted the connection profile and tried again. Same thing. Attempted a manual connection; same thing. Gave up for a bit and decided to take some pictures using the camera app. Camera app would launch but no image would appear on screen. Closed the camera app and tried to launch Videos. Nothing. I noticed that the camera app icon was ghosted out and that the app had frozen and was not shut down. What to do? Reboot. Yes, a reboot should fix al this weirdness... Except, no, it didn't fix anything; in fact, things got worse. The PlayBook would not reboot. It got stuck at the coloured, pulsing Blackberry boot screen and stayed there. Held down the power button to force it to shut down and rebooted again. Same thing. Repeated about 5 times and the PlayBook finally booted normally. Still no WiFi connection, but the camera app at least worked now. A while later, I launched the Video app to watch a show and boom! Here we go again... App would launch and nothing appeared on screen. Had to go through the whole reboot process again. It finally rebooted and I was able to launch and watch a few shows, but still no WiFi.

Now I'm thinking, my PlayBook is somehow hosed and I'll just have to use my iPad for the duration of our stay. And then I noticed another guest who also had a PlayBook and we got to talking. Guess what!? His PlayBook was experiencing the exact same weirdness as mine! Hmmm... Maybe it's not just my PlayBook after all!? I basically decided at that point to leave it in my hotel room and only use it watch a show before bed. Carried the iPad with me and had absolutely zero issues the rest of the my stay.

Got back on the plane and headed home (to Toronto) wondering WTF to do about my PlayBook. Got home, turned on my PlayBook, and...

Wait for it...

Everything is back to normal! WiFi works, apps are launching normally without crashing, no reboot issues, nothing! WTF happened while I was down south? And not just to my PlayBook, but the other guest's as well? Was it humidity / heat? Was it a time zone thing? Why would WiFi connectivity issues lead to the practically complete unusable state of the PlayBook? Has anyone else experienced this systematic failure of their PlayBook while traveling?

I'm happy that my PlayBook is back to its normal self but WTF!?

Anyone?

Merrill
    Same thing happened with two relatives of mine in Aruba about three weeks ago. One has a PB, the other an iPhone. iPhone connected perfectly to the hotel Wi-fi. The PB would drop the connection and flip back and forth between the hotel wi-fi and the aruba paid public wi-fi. The PB would also have icons missing (camera, video player) on the desktop and would require a reboot to get them back. As soon as the PB got back home it was working fine.

Very strange. And I got an earful as the guy who recommended the PB over the iPad. It's no wonder RIM is in so much trouble. Did the original iPad have these types of issues?
    04-13-12 01:00 PM
    My PlayBook ALWAYS craps out when I'm on any kind of 'Guest' wifi that requires some kind of log in. Even if the log in is just clicking 'I agree' on a terms of service page (most restaurants in my area offer free wifi this way).

It doesn't matter if it's a restaurant or hotel. Very irritating.
    04-13-12 01:00 PM
    My experience is similar any where there Are shared hotspots no go. Don't have any such problems with ios or android devices. Only way to use pb in the Wild is tethered with my 9810
    04-13-12 02:22 PM
    There is no question in my mind that the Playbook's wifi drivers need some serious debugging. I was experiencing a similar problem on my home network where my main router is a Buffalo and a secondary router, a Linksys, is set up with dd-wrt as an access point only. Because I wanted true seamless roaming I set them to use the same SSID but on different channels and checked the "all inter-access point handover" box on the PB wifi settings. What I found was that when I moved it switched over from the Buffalo to the Linksys, showed a nice strong signal on the correct channel, had an IP, gateway, and DNS but no connection. After mutiple reboots and days of cursing I changed the SSID on the Linksys and now it will connect to it and it works fine, but not always seamlessly. Clearly a PB problem because my Dell Latitude and Asus netbook had no problems with the previous setup whatsoever.

In my office we run Netgear APs and the PB also doesn't switchover well but I found it will work for the most part but only with WPA Personal and not WPA2 Personal.

Unfortunately this does you no good on a public wifi network where you have no control over the network setup.

Another option, but I don't know if it is available for the Mac is a program like Connectify. It allows you to create a wireless hotspot using your laptop. It can share a wireless, wired, or tethered connection with your own devices. So if your laptop can connect wirelessly, you can setup your own network with PB friendly settings, and your Playbook connects wirelessly through your laptop to the public network. I do this all the time in hotels where they make you pay for internet and then connect my Blackberry, my wife's Blackberry, my Playbook and her Playbook while only paying for one connection. However, it kind of defeats the whole point of having a tablet i.e. travelling light and keeping sand out of your laptop at the beach Connectify does work well with my Playbook and I sometimes use it at work when our wifi and my PB are not playing nice.

So, RIM, please spend some effort debugging your wifi drivers. They are kind of essential for a wi-fi device

BTW, isn't Barbados fabulous? I was there two years ago and can't wait to return.
    04-13-12 04:33 PM
    I would be interested in knowing what band selection you had on the PB. I would take a guess and say you have Dual Bands (2.5 and 5.0) checked on your wifi settings. At your location down south, the hotel was using one of the bands to broadcast something else and the PB was picking it up and causing it to go nuts. The other devices worked likely because they were only using one band.
    You should contact RIM and bring it to their attention. Interesting!
    04-14-12 07:30 AM
    I've seen this on many many devices from hand held scan guns to smart phones to tablets to PCs. Almost every single time it's wifi channel overload or congestion. Happens mostly from placing APs too close together or different APs on the same channel overlapping signal.
    04-14-12 02:02 PM
    To the OP, I'd be interested to hear which resort you stayed at, as I am a Bajan native (i.e. Born in Barbados) and live here 365 days a year. While I will admit that the Playbook wifi is glitchy, I've never had any issues with guest networks. I bought mine in the US and set it up over the hotel wifi, no issues at all. Went out the next day and got one for the wife, set it up no issues. Use it at home and on other networks, as well as bridge via my 9810, no issues except at home, where I had to set ip a fixed IP for it. Did you try the hotel tech support?
    rotorwrench likes this.
    04-14-12 02:34 PM
    Nothing as exotic as the Caribbean, but neither my PB nor my BB Torch can connect to the free Wi-Fi offered at the Calgary airport. My wife's Samsung Galaxy android phone and MacBook Air laptop, on the other hand, connect immediately. I played around with the PB's Wi-Fi settings / options, but was never able to get it to connect. I kept receiving the following message: "Failed to associate with the network".

When both an Android phone and a MacBook Air can connect with no issues whatsoever, is it unreasonable to expect that my "professional", "tools not toys" devices should be able to connect as well? Shouldn't they "just work"? I'm happy with the PB otherwise, but the lack of reliability associated with Wi-Fi connectivity is not helpful.
    04-14-12 03:16 PM
    Hubby and I had no problem connecting with the free wifi at Pearson International Airport in February with either our PBs or our BBs. That was my first experience with free public wifi and I don't recall having to do anything special to connect to it. We were en route to a cruise but once I learned how expensive the ship-wide wifi was to use and how slow (via satellite) it was I didn't bother to try connecting to it.
    04-14-12 03:38 PM
    Had no problem connecting at Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport over the holidays and no problem in DR in the lobby's free wi-fi.
    04-14-12 03:43 PM
    I'm a photographer and recently returned from shooting a wedding in Barbados and wanted to share my dismal PlayBook experience with you all. I'm an iOS user primarily but I when OS2 was finally released, I decided to purchase a PlayBook. I have to say that up until now, my experience with the PlayBook has been pretty much exceptional. There are a few issues / bugs to iron out in OS2, but overall, I love(d) my PlayBook. So, here's what happened.

I loaded up the PlayBook with a bunch of video for the flight (RIM; please, please, please add an AC3 audio codec to your video player and the ability to resume where you left off!) and was off to the airport. WiFi has generally worked well since I've owned the PlayBook and the airport was no exception. Connected up to the free hotspot and was happily checking my email and reading my news in the News app. Perfect!

Got on the plane, Airplane mode on, kicked back and watched some shows during the flight. Again, perfect!

Got to the resort where we were staying, turned off Airplane mode and attempted to connect to their WiFi and here is where everything fell apart...

The PlayBook was able to see all of the resort's base stations without issue but was not able to connect to any of them. Hmmm... Strange... Then pulled out my iPhone and my iPad and connected without issue with both of them. My MacBook Pro connected without issue. My wife's iPhone and her MacBook Pro connected without issue. So, essentially every other wireless device we had with us, worked as normal and connected to the resort's WiFi perfectly. PlayBook? Not so much.

And then things get really strange...

Looking at the connection info in the WiFi settings on the PlayBook showed that I was, in fact, connected and even showed a valid IP address and DNS server but with no actual data ever making it to the PlayBook. Odd... Deleted the connection profile and tried again. Same thing. Attempted a manual connection; same thing. Gave up for a bit and decided to take some pictures using the camera app. Camera app would launch but no image would appear on screen. Closed the camera app and tried to launch Videos. Nothing. I noticed that the camera app icon was ghosted out and that the app had frozen and was not shut down. What to do? Reboot. Yes, a reboot should fix al this weirdness... Except, no, it didn't fix anything; in fact, things got worse. The PlayBook would not reboot. It got stuck at the coloured, pulsing Blackberry boot screen and stayed there. Held down the power button to force it to shut down and rebooted again. Same thing. Repeated about 5 times and the PlayBook finally booted normally. Still no WiFi connection, but the camera app at least worked now. A while later, I launched the Video app to watch a show and boom! Here we go again... App would launch and nothing appeared on screen. Had to go through the whole reboot process again. It finally rebooted and I was able to launch and watch a few shows, but still no WiFi.

Now I'm thinking, my PlayBook is somehow hosed and I'll just have to use my iPad for the duration of our stay. And then I noticed another guest who also had a PlayBook and we got to talking. Guess what!? His PlayBook was experiencing the exact same weirdness as mine! Hmmm... Maybe it's not just my PlayBook after all!? I basically decided at that point to leave it in my hotel room and only use it watch a show before bed. Carried the iPad with me and had absolutely zero issues the rest of the my stay.

Got back on the plane and headed home (to Toronto) wondering WTF to do about my PlayBook. Got home, turned on my PlayBook, and...

Wait for it...

Everything is back to normal! WiFi works, apps are launching normally without crashing, no reboot issues, nothing! WTF happened while I was down south? And not just to my PlayBook, but the other guest's as well? Was it humidity / heat? Was it a time zone thing? Why would WiFi connectivity issues lead to the practically complete unusable state of the PlayBook? Has anyone else experienced this systematic failure of their PlayBook while traveling?

I'm happy that my PlayBook is back to its normal self but WTF!?

Anyone?

Merrill
    sorry, I did not read the entire 3 pages before replying. There was actually, a similar thread a while back. Someone placed 2 or 3 playbooks in a hotel safe. They all seemed to die but once home recovered. Very odd thread - just like this one. Sorry I don't recall too many details and others may have mentioned it further into the thread.
    04-14-12 10:37 PM
    not going to read 3 pages, because i don't have enough beer left...

but i'll agree with the wireless frequency theory. if the wireless radio is having issues it could affect other subsystems in the tablet.
    04-14-12 10:44 PM
    I also have wifi issues, I have a Linksy with dd-wrt installed I regularly have to reset the router when using it with the PB. As to the apps crapping out when on a bad network I haven't experienced this, probably a bug, we are Beta testers like those WP7 commercials lol .
    04-15-12 03:00 AM
    sorry, I did not read the entire 3 pages before replying. There was actually, a similar thread a while back. Someone placed 2 or 3 playbooks in a hotel safe. They all seemed to die but once home recovered. Very odd thread - just like this one. Sorry I don't recall too many details and others may have mentioned it further into the thread.
    Here are the posts about our trip to DR and the weird PB behaviours.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ricked-705800/

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ed-pbs-707357/

WE have been home for quite some time now and all 3 PB's are running perfectly. I have no idea why they didn't work down there. The tech support at the resort said they always have problems with PB's go figure.
    04-15-12 05:59 AM
    Theory....having been designed in Canada they cannot abide the sun???
    Bisboxer, BerryClever and bodjor like this.
    04-15-12 07:01 AM
    Thanks for putting this up here - it was a relief to learn my PB was not likely toast as well when I had the exact same thing happen traveling in California. I watched movies on the plane - all good. The second I tried to get wifi in the hotel it just kept looping and I tried a restart. Bad idea. I watched the start screen for nearly 15 minutes and kept powering off. I was finally able to get it to fire up when I left it charging for some time. After that web, movies and email wouldn't come up. Received a message that media devices not working and suggested a restart. The second I got to LAX I fired it up and no problems. I was also in one of those hotels where there was no need to sign on to a user agreement etc. Everything worked fine with the itouch and wife's smart phone.
    05-20-12 05:10 PM
    Since purchase of my PB, I've made 5 trips to different locations, different hotels, etc and haven't had any connection issues yet. Also three trips to Canada, one being Calgary Int. Airport where one poster had a problem, connected fine.

What's interesting is that on a trip to Vegas recently, a friend traveling with us was having connection issues with her new "other tablet" and the resort wifi, while we were connecting fine with our PBs and phones. We couldn't resolve it, got on the tablet manufacturer's support forum and found it to be a widespread complaint. She could connect at other locations, just not where we were staying. Not that uncommon.

And aircraft manufacturer service rep was relating a connection problem with his PB while in Brazil recently but found a profile setting change resolved it.
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 05-20-12 at 06:07 PM.
    05-20-12 05:58 PM
    The playbook does require you to be more tech savvy. If you are out using a public WiFi (hotel, airport, cafe, where ever) and you are experiencing issues, try turning the bluetooth off. Than try connecting to the WiFi. When I am bridged to my 9930 and go to connect to a public WiFi I need to turn bluetooth off to connect. Once I connect and agree to their Terms of service I can turn bluetooth back on and all works well.
    Just my experience.
    05-20-12 07:20 PM
    I encountered the same problem with my PB, wifi connection is almost unsable. Used the camera app, when i tried to exit the app, swiping from bottom - up doesnt respond.

I brought along a pocket access point since our room have lan cable, but still, wifi not stable.

Weird experience. Good thing there's bridge.

iOS devices connects without any problem.
    05-20-12 08:48 PM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD