Starting about a month ago, I've been unable to control permissions when downloading apps, ie, if I deny any permissions the app just won't install -- vs. before when I routinely denied permissions and every app installed and functioned anyway.

When I go to Security>Application Permissions, many/most of my apps are not listed so I can't manage them there.

When I try to reinstall apps from my uninstalled list on AppWorld, most of the apps request permissions, and when I deny permissions (just like I did when they were first installed) they won't install.

Anyone else having this problem? Did something change with apps or with the PlayBook?

(I've read people ******** about the total lack of control of permissions on Android, and frequently see BlackBerry held up as an example of the way it should be --letting the user have control over permissions. So I can't just accept "yeah apps ask for permissions, nuthin you can do about it, if you don't like it, don't install.")
    12-17-12 03:29 PM
    I think the way apps are installed has changed in the PB. In the past you were being asked about permissions after the installation was complete. Now it happens during installation. For some apps it is necessary to accept permissions. For instance, you can't expect a file manager app to work if you deny permission for it to have access to your files. In the past if you did, the installed app wouldn't work. Now it will not install. It's not a problem...it a functionality....I think
    12-17-12 04:38 PM
    I agree with Dave - Permission, at least for some apps, now comes up during the installation. I also find that with some, if I deny permission - that's it! No other choice and it will not even load. I also do not like some of the apps asking for very broad permission - Personal Info or whatever they call it. Some apps don't need wide open permissions - I wish it were more like the bb phones with very specific permissions.
    12-17-12 05:46 PM
    I agree with Dave - Permission, at least for some apps, now comes up during the installation. I also find that with some, if I deny permission - that's it! No other choice and it will not even load. I also do not like some of the apps asking for very broad permission - Personal Info or whatever they call it. Some apps don't need wide open permissions - I wish it were more like the bb phones with very specific permissions.
    Expect BlackBerry OS 10 and related applications to be a revenue stream of marketing data collected by Research In Motion to be sold to third-parties much as Google does with your web browsing history. The applications coming to the BlackBerry PlayBook already asking for pre-installation permission configuration with broad strokes should be a red flag.
    12-17-12 05:51 PM
    Expect BlackBerry OS 10 and related applications to be a revenue stream of marketing data collected by Research In Motion to be sold to third-parties much as Google does with your web browsing history. The applications coming to the BlackBerry PlayBook already asking for pre-installation permission configuration with broad strokes should be a red flag.
    You may be right - I hope you are wrong.
    12-17-12 09:30 PM
    Of course I will grant permission to apps for obviously relevant things. But why does my toddler's drawing app need access to the Internet, my personal files, gps, and camera? If the app has a feature where you can post drawings online (or use the camera in some way, etc.), I want to be able to choose whether or not to enable or deny those features -- because I'd never use those features anyway.

So in conclusion, we're just SOL about this? Cuz that sucks. When I recently got my first Android phone I was appalled that when you download apps you have no choice about permissions and thought "BB is so much better than this!" Now I have to choose between turning so paranoid I never download an app, or making sure that my PB has very little personal info on it to be mined.
    FF22 likes this.
    12-17-12 11:27 PM
    You may be right - I hope you are wrong.
    I hope that I am wrong too. But in the modern connected world we are the product being peddled to advertisers and other data crunching organizations including the government.
    12-17-12 11:48 PM
    This is really poor. I can fully understand not wanting the camera accessible to my kids drawing program. But now that you can't manage the permissions I've been burned with product updates. Previously I could turn undesirable "functions" off, but if I upgrade the app then it's permission on installation or no installation.
    01-29-14 11:18 AM
    I hope that I am wrong too. But in the modern connected world we are the product being peddled to advertisers and other data crunching organizations including the government.
    Expect to be peddled with any free app particularly those that are Android based. Gotta get that Moolah some way.
    01-29-14 12:33 PM