Did I read in this forum or elsewhere that there were early hardware issues with the 64GB model?

I can't find it during a search but all of the 64GB units here in BC, Canada seem to be have April and May build dates. I just went through 25 of them in one store and they were all old. The managers in Best Buy and Future shop both told me that they were all shipped up from the US to clear the inventory down there.

What was that issue that they subsequently remedied?
    01-18-12 09:17 PM
    I have had a 64 GB one since the first week of availability. I haven't had any problems with it. It does have the bulge on the back where the Blackberry logo is but I could care less since it always has a case on it nor is it that noticeable.

So, I'm not sure what problems you may be referencing but I haven't had any of them - yet!
    01-18-12 09:25 PM
    i've had problems with mine where when it's plugged in it doesnt register touches well
    01-18-12 09:28 PM
    That rings a bell on those issues. The bulge certainly was a continuing issue. I thought it was battery related.
    01-18-12 09:34 PM
    I got my 64 GB from Shop Blackberry a week ago and saw some odd things with it. When you charge it using the charger included, the slightest bump by the charging port disconnects the charging but still plugged in. Like the connection is loose when plugged in. No bulge as that was the first thing I checked when unboxing. Also the screen froze around the 20% battery left and a had to do a 3 button reset on the second day. The build date on the box is 160511
    01-18-12 09:51 PM
    Seeing as how the batteries are on the sides of the Blackberry logo I have never understood the idea that it could have been a result of the battery.

My guess would be that it came from the heating up of the processor during testing or manufacture and that the material on the back is quite susceptible to heat/contraction/expansion. I'm not really versed in the production of electronics though.

Our new 16 GB model we bought this past Christmas also has the bulge but I'm not sure when it was manufactured.
    01-18-12 09:52 PM
    the manufacture date is on the white label on the box. a 16gb would have a more recent date on it. rim is dumping the old 64gb units from what i can determine.

i'm hesitant to buy another one.
    01-18-12 10:18 PM
    I would say that most 64Gb are old (April or May) since they haven't been selling as fast as the 16 and 32GB.

Mine is from April and it is one of the four Playbooks I've had that actually doesn't have any problems (except for a non-clicking volume-up button, which is a no biggie).
    01-18-12 10:19 PM
    I bought my 64gb at Futureshop on April 19th (release date) and I've had no problems with it. I have not encountered the bulging logo. Sometimes the micro usb port is a little loose but this is not unique to the 64gb. I would not be too concerned about when the Playbook was made. Odds are it will be fine.
    01-18-12 10:20 PM
    I would be guessing but I think someone above got it right. The initial price of the 64 kept it from selling. They probably also limited its original production due to pricing so that the labels with "DATE" on them are from the initial run. Most have concluded that the DATE is merely the packing date when it was boxed. Newer dates just means the units were taken off dusty shelves and finally boxed for sale.

The current pricing is definitely intended to sell them before OS2. I think unpacking, reloading the OS2 and repacking would be a time-consuming costly manual process that makes selling at the low price a reasonable choice for Rim.

and I would conclude: ALL SPECULATION on my part!
    kennyliu likes this.
    01-18-12 11:10 PM
    One of my 64,s one was April the other May.
    No problems with either.
    01-18-12 11:27 PM
    They probably also limited its original production due to pricing so that the labels with "DATE" on them are from the initial run. Most have concluded that the DATE is merely the packing date when it was boxed. Newer dates just means the units were taken off dusty shelves and finally boxed for sale.
    That's a very interesting thought. Was there any evidence to suggest the original manufacturing run was (is still) placed into boxes with later packing dates?

The only reason I would question that is that you could see palpable and significant improvments in the build quality of the 9900s as the label dates became newer even though the device PRDs were the same.
    01-18-12 11:51 PM
    Based on various threads posted here, Rim supposedly stopped the manufacturing process (the folks now build the Kindle Fire according to those same reports) as the pb was failing to sell. The inventory was produced and probably stockpiled on those "dusty shelves" I was kidding about. The whole write-down inventory spoken about, etc seem to indicate that they had probably built them. Even if they were not assembled until recently (doubtful), it is even more doubtful that they changed out parts with newly manufactured stuff.

Folks have gotten units with dates as recent as this month - seems highly unlikely that they were actually manufactured this month but it could be possible.

But you have also heard from folks with very early 64's without any problems. Likely no change in the process, parts. Just luck of quality control?

But, again, I am speculating as so many have.
    mhw100 likes this.
    01-19-12 12:31 AM
    It's annoying to me that every single Playbook I've used has had some issue with it. I finally settled on a 64GB unit with two dead pixels, as it was the closest to perfect I could find after going through about a dozen of them at various stores. I should say they're actually stuck 'green' pixels, which are most visible on bootup, but I have no issues with bulging backs or depressed power buttons. I shake my fist at RIM though because their (or Quanta's) quality control on these devices is among the worst I've seen on any electronic device I've purchased in the last decade. Just the screen color temperature variance alone on these devices is ridiculous. White should be white. Not grey. Not yellow. To think that these once sold (albeit in limited form) at their MSRP is downright offensive.

For what it's worth I figured the serial number was the best determinant for build date, and mine is 1343-5601-XXXX. Ironically, those Playbooks with exceptionally yellow screens or those with power button issues, dust under the screen, maligned rubber pieces, were all in the 1343-7600-XXXX and higher range. The display units that I saw in stores were all 1343-1300-XXXX and higher, and all had super bright, white screens. Couldn't tell if there were dead/stuck pixels as the store lighting prevented that.

Bottom line - build quality is subpar as it's based on the components that make up the device, and the assembly process itself, which seemingly hasn't changed since the first one rolled off the assembly line.
    mhw100 likes this.
    01-19-12 12:48 AM
    Based on various threads posted here, Rim supposedly stopped the manufacturing process (the folks now build the Kindle Fire according to those same reports) as the pb was failing to sell. The inventory was produced and probably stockpiled on those "dusty shelves" I was kidding about. The whole write-down inventory spoken about, etc seem to indicate that they had probably built them. Even if they were not assembled until recently (doubtful), it is even more doubtful that they changed out parts with newly manufactured stuff.

Folks have gotten units with dates as recent as this month - seems highly unlikely that they were actually manufactured this month but it could be possible.

But you have also heard from folks with very early 64's without any problems. Likely no change in the process, parts. Just luck of quality control?
    But, again, I am speculating as so many have.
    Really interesting read! Thank you for taking the time to explain the history of the device. Probably is just luck of the QC process which is atrocious at RIM.
    01-19-12 01:00 AM
    My 16GB Playbook is an early build, and the hardware works fine, so far as I know. I think most, maybe all, Playbooks were manufactured in Spring 2011. The numbers we've see indicate RIM made a lot of Playbooks at the beginning and has been selling that stock since with very little, if any, new units manufactured. That stock may have been in various stages of completion, though, which would be one explanation for the recent dates on the box (the other explanation is that it's the box date). If RIM discovered any hardware defects, I would hope it fixed all stock that hadn't yet been shipped off to venders--would make sense, since if the consumer finds the defect, the unit after repair could only be sold as refurbished at a cheaper price.
    01-19-12 01:08 AM
    Not sure either which problems in particular. Three 64s at work and two at home with no issues so far. The two at home are May builds. Not sure of the work PBs. Build and quality are excellent. No bulges, no recessed power buttons, beautiful screens and they're worked hard. 12 below 0 F today and still going strong. Was outside with my work PB off and on all day with the longest stretch being about an hour. No sluggish screen.

But warning to Otterbox users, I have been noticing a recurring problem when coming in from very cold temperatures after periods of 20min or more; condensation forming between the Otterbox protective screen and the PB screen. I took the screen off three times today to dry it. FWIW, I also have a Zagg protector on also.
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 01-19-12 at 01:16 AM. Reason: addition
    01-19-12 01:09 AM
    For what it's worth I figured the serial number was the best determinant for build date, and mine is 1343-5601-XXXX. Ironically, those Playbooks with exceptionally yellow screens or those with power button issues, dust under the screen, maligned rubber pieces, were all in the 1343-7600-XXXX and higher range. The display units that I saw in stores were all 1343-1300-XXXX and higher, and all had super bright, white screens. Couldn't tell if there were dead/stuck pixels as the store lighting prevented that.
    I feel your pain. I saw upward 60 or so 9900s before I found a correct one. It actually became became a laughable quest just to see how much variation I could find between the devices as I had long given up that hope there was a vestige of QC at work in the manufacturing of the device.

I'll check out those units with a lower serial number as counter intuitive as that may be.
    01-19-12 01:10 AM
    I should emphasize I have no real or specific knowledge of what's what. Just piecing together stuff I've read here. Then jumping ahead with the idea that pulling these OS1.x devices off of shelves (especially if already packaged for sale), and reloading the OS for a newer version, possibly with even new packaging (graphics), cd's with new interface, etc...

We shall see what happens in the next few weeks.
    01-19-12 09:26 AM
    +1 on the "no problems here" category. Bought mine on release date as well. Of course, I probably just jinxed myself by posting this. Come to think of it, I have had a problem with it. I have troubles putting it down. Does that count?
    01-19-12 09:44 AM
    The two at home are May builds.
    Where do you find this information, please and thank you.
    01-19-12 10:28 AM
    My 64GB Playbook is a May build with a serial number that begins with 1343-80XX-XXXX. It has no dead pixels or yellow screen. There is no bulge on the back but the logo is raised ever so slightly -- the device still lies flat on a table. The power button is raised and easy to press.

However, I've handled many playbooks with a large bulge, recessed power buttons and/or dead pixels. It does seem that there is a higher than average rate of defects in the PB than other devices I've owned -- but I managed to get a good one and I enjoy it.
    01-19-12 10:38 AM
    Where do you find this information, please and thank you.
    Look for the white data tag on the box the PB came in. Look for a number similar to 160511. The last three digits are the month and year of manufacture. In the case of 160511, 5 is the month (May) and 11 is 2011.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 01-19-12 at 11:13 AM.
    01-19-12 11:10 AM
    I feel your pain. I saw upward 60 or so 9900s before I found a correct one. It actually became became a laughable quest just to see how much variation I could find between the devices as I had long given up that hope there was a vestige of QC at work in the manufacturing of the device.

I'll check out those units with a lower serial number as counter intuitive as that may be.
    60? Really...
    01-19-12 02:44 PM
    I have a 64GB model bought in June 2011. Except one stuck pixel, no other issue. Not even the bulge.
    01-19-12 03:51 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD