Hi guys,

For starters i m actually typing on the bb mini keyboard right now through my playbook, and it's great!
    When it work correctly tho...

My main issue has to do with my ability to type long documents, emails, messages, etc. It seems to have major issue keeping the cursor from jumping from where you left it to a random spot on the screen, and not just jumping there, but selects that spot it has moved too. As you can imagine, while typing a paragraph and getting in the flow of words this can be very frustrating.
    I have figured out a quick fix and just left the cursor on the far right or left of the screen, but it still halts pretty much all typing progression.

Has anyone else had this issue? I would really like to find a perminant solution.

Another issue i have is it's connectivity, it seems to have troubles connecting to my playbook while not in use for a while, and when i go to start it up again i need to manually connect it.

As again, any help or suggestions would be very helpful. I think this case + keyboard combo is a fantastic addition to my playbook, and if i can't seem to get these issues corrected i might want to just return it all together.

And yes, i have re-paired the devices several times, deleted all profiles on both devices, restarted the pb many times, and i have done research on the net and seem to have a hard time finding a solution to my problem. I like this product so much that i am even tempted to call RIM and plead my case.
    11-22-12 05:38 PM
    You have to be very careful to keep away from the trackpad while typing. I know that sounds odd but the trackpad is very sensitive and the merest touch will send the cursor elsewhere. I had this happen countless times before I twigged to what was actually happening. And even though you re thinking that I'm nuts, I assure you that if your cursor has moved from where you were typing, you have, indeed, brushed the trackpad with some part of your hand/arm.

When the PB has gone to sleep for a bit, the keyboard goes to sleep as well. Just hit any key (I tend to use the return key) two or three times and your keyboard will be ready. That's actually how I wake up my PB - kills two birds with one stone. Hi the return key two or three times and not only does the keyboard become active but the screen wakes up too.

Hope this helps!
    jafobabe likes this.
    11-22-12 09:16 PM
    I haven't had that problem. If it's caused by you touching your touchpad as hpjrt says then something is wrong with your keyboard as the keyboard has a feature that disables the touchpad while typing is in progress. It's mentioned in your keyboard user manual. Try using your touchpad while typing, it should be disabled. If it's not disabled or you're able to get a response from your touchpad while typing, then your keyboard is not working properly. Mine works fine and my touchpad is dead when I'm typing. You should call tech assistance or return it

As for the connectivity issues, I recommend the same as hpjrt. I leave mine on all the time, the battery will last a month or more. If I haven't used it in a while and it goes to sleep, I wake it up by tapping a key or rubbing the touchpad. I haven't lost a pair since I've gotten mine.

If your touchpad is disabling properly, then you have another problem and hopefully someone with the same issue will speak up. Good luck.
    lychee123 likes this.
    11-22-12 10:41 PM
    I just woke mine up pressing the CTRL key a few times.

BUT I could make the cursor move up or down if I TOUCHED the trackpad (pointer arrow moves) and then kind of tapped it.

So, Rotor, you are saying that it should be locked out. Well, how then would you move the cursor up or down (left or right) to correct a typo. I think it may depend on how firmly you accidentally strike the trackpad where it registers as a deliberate tap after the arrow has been moved????

I need to keep the manual (pdf) closer at hand to check out its info.
    11-23-12 12:01 AM
    I have the same issue as the OP with my PB mini keyboard and it is definitely not from an oversensitive track pad while typing. When typing, the key cursor can jump anywhere but most commonly follows the trackpad pointer. With some apps it is better than others, but the native email app might be the worst, which is even more frustrating. I have tried the deleting and re-pairing too, it doesn't fix the problem. One of the best quickfixes that I have found is to move the pointer off the screen in the menu free corner (bottom right bezel. But I think it is software or memory related in the keyboard and wonder if RIM will ever offer a firmware update. If I manage to get another one on. sale tomorrow, I might be able to confirm the issue.

Aside from the typing skips, the keyboard's battery life is excellent and the trackpad works well as a mouse. It has never lost a connection once paired with the PB.
    11-23-12 01:24 AM
    You have to be very careful to keep away from the trackpad while typing. I know that sounds odd but the trackpad is very sensitive and the merest touch will send the cursor elsewhere. I had this happen countless times before I twigged to what was actually happening. And even though you re thinking that I'm nuts, I assure you that if your cursor has moved from where you were typing, you have, indeed, brushed the trackpad with some part of your hand/arm.

When the PB has gone to sleep for a bit, the keyboard goes to sleep as well. Just hit any key (I tend to use the return key) two or three times and your keyboard will be ready. That's actually how I wake up my PB - kills two birds with one stone. Hi the return key two or three times and not only does the keyboard become active but the screen wakes up too.

Hope this helps!
    I agree with you... The touchpad is VERY sensitive and you have brushed your thumb near it and the cursor jumps.. takes a little practice to stay away from the pad while you type.The User Guide does not warn you of the sensitivity, but it still is informative.

The User Guide is below as a clickable link for you to download to your PB or PC....
    11-23-12 01:42 AM
    Thanks for the input guys!

I assure you it is NOT the trackpad in my case, I guess I should have mentioned that even while just hitting the backspace key it has happened. I am beginning to think that it is my actual keyboard and returning it for another and give it another go.

As for the connection issues, I now understand, just takes a little longer, I just need to be more patient.

thanks!
    11-23-12 08:41 AM
    I just woke mine up pressing the CTRL key a few times.

BUT I could make the cursor move up or down if I TOUCHED the trackpad (pointer arrow moves) and then kind of tapped it.

So, Rotor, you are saying that it should be locked out. Well, how then would you move the cursor up or down (left or right) to correct a typo. I think it may depend on how firmly you accidentally strike the trackpad where it registers as a deliberate tap after the arrow has been moved????

I need to keep the manual (pdf) closer at hand to check out its info.
    Yes, it should be locked out while typing. Get on the keyboard and start typing random keys with one hand as if typing and try to move your cursor with the trackpad at the same time with the other hand. There should be no response from the cursor if the lockout is working correctly. But keep in mind, for this feature to be practical, the trackpad lock can only be in effect for a moment or so after a key is struck. So if there is a pause between keystrokes the trackpad will be unlocked. It takes a keystroke to lock the trackpad but the duration of lock is very short, basically a moment, giving us slow types time to strike another key before the pad is unlocked. Mine is working this way as well as one of my co-workers.
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 11-23-12 at 12:58 PM.
    FF22 likes this.
    11-23-12 12:32 PM