Hi folks,

I am finding that my Yahoo and Gmail inboxes are synced across devices, but when I send messages from my laptop or desktop, they don't appear in my PB Sent folders. What gives?
    06-14-12 07:49 AM
    Does it sync sent items from other devices?? I wasn't aware of that. I know it works for FB messages though
    06-14-12 07:53 AM
    Don't know; I'm not really an FB person. But I don't see why e-mail wouldn't sync; if it shows the Inbox folder, why not show the others?
    06-14-12 08:15 AM
    Because it was sent from a different device. If the PB doesn't sync your sent folder, they won't show up
    06-14-12 08:25 AM
    OK thanks; so how do I set up the PB or the e-mail accounts so that the sent folders will be synced? When I set up accounts in the PB, it just has an option for "email", "calendar", "contacts", etc; how can I specify individual folders?
    06-14-12 09:43 AM
    That's another thing entirely... Folder support is on its way I believe. You may want to try searching the forums. I know I've read about this issue elsewhere
    06-14-12 09:51 AM
    I have gmail. I didn't do anything special during setup. My Sent folder syncs.
    Willard814 and pronomad like this.
    06-14-12 11:27 AM
    Really? I don't sync mail. Only calendar and coontacts so I couldn't check. Sorry
    06-14-12 11:48 AM
    Ok. Then OP, delete your gmail account from your PB and then re-add it. That should clear up any issues
    06-14-12 11:51 AM
    Thanks Jhimmel. I deleted and reinstalled both accounts, but still have no syncing of sent folders from either account. I wonder if there is something I should tweak in my account settings for Yahoo and Gmail at their home sites?
    06-14-12 01:18 PM
    Thanks Jhimmel. I deleted and reinstalled both accounts, but still have no syncing of sent folders from either account. I wonder if there is something I should tweak in my account settings for Yahoo and Gmail at their home sites?
    FWIW, and for those who may be unaware or this, there are actually two email apps on your PB (at least I know for 2.1 beta and I think for 2.0). One is the messages app that we're all familiar with. The other is android's Email. You're probably not aware of the android app because it is not accessible from the desktop. Is is accessible, though, through Ghost Commander, an android file explorer available for free from app world. To find it, open Ghost, click on Applications from the home screen, scroll down and click email, then shortcuts, then the top Email-Main. Once the app opens, you can set up your account(s).

There are two (at least) advantages to the android app- one is that you will have access to your sent messages, from whatever source they were sent from. The other is in managing attachments. Since the android app will allow you to use an android file browser to search for and attach files (Ghost Commander being one of these) you can use a file browser that will actually see the PB's file structure and you can navigate to and attach files accordingly (think of having a couple of thousand pics or documents on your PB, all nicely organized into subfolders, only to find that the native file browser doesn't recognize these folders.

The drawbacks are that it is not quite as easy to launch as Messages, since you have to launch Ghost Commander in order to open the app, but if you set up Ghost Commander correctly, you can launch Email with two clicks total as opposed to one for Messages. The other is that the notifications icon, while it will in fact notify you of incoming mail, will not launch the app- you have to launch it the way you would normally.
    06-14-12 02:51 PM
    There are two (at least) advantages to the android app- one is that you will have access to your sent messages, from whatever source they were sent from.
    As I said, the native app does this as well. I send an email from my PC, it shows in the "Sent Items" folder on the Playbook. Not sure what else I can add to that. I did not do any special configuring that I can think of for this to work.

OP - can you tell me a few things? What app do you use on your laptop to send the mail? Is everything set to IMAP, and if using Outlook, I have outlook set to NOT save sent items on computer (I believe that resulted in duplicate emails). On gmail website, I have my accounts set to enable IMAP. POP status is also shown as enabled.
    06-14-12 03:05 PM
    I can look into more Gmail, and Outlook settings if you desire.
    All of the mail in this photo was sent from my PC, and viewable on my playbook.
    Sent Items....
    06-14-12 03:12 PM
    Well, he asked specifically about Yahoo and Gmail, and while I don't have a Gmail account and thus can't comment on that, I do have a Yahoo account and the Messages app only sees messages sent from my PB, while the android app sees messages sent from my desktop as well. I didn't touch settings on either my PB (either app) or on my desktop.
    06-14-12 03:17 PM
    My Playbook gmail settings...
    06-14-12 03:18 PM
    Well, he asked specifically about Yahoo and Gmail, and while I don't have a Gmail account and thus can't comment on that, I do have a Yahoo account and the Messages app only sees messages sent from my PB, while the android app sees messages sent from my desktop as well. I didn't touch settings on either my PB (either app) or on my desktop.
    Well, since neither seems to be working for him, and gmail obviously does work, I'm wondering if it has to do with settings either at the web account, the PC/Laptop client, or the Playbook. If he can get it working on the gmail account, maybe look into the yahoo settings as well. Who knows...
    06-14-12 03:24 PM
    My Yahoo account does not have that sync Email switch, and neither do my AOL or NetZero accounts, which also don't show emails sent from my desktop.
    06-14-12 03:34 PM
    My Yahoo account does not have that sync Email switch, and neither do my AOL or NetZero accounts, which also don't show emails sent from my desktop.
    That's too bad. Thanks for the info.
    I had made the switch to all gmail accounts a couple of years ago pretty much for the reason that it seemed to be the best supported on my Blackberry - ironically enough.
    06-14-12 03:42 PM
    Hey Jhimmel,

Thanks for the screenshots. My Gmail account settings were identical to yours, but I changed the Gmail settings in the PB to turn off syncing of Contacts and Calendar. It seems to have done the trick, although I don't see why or how.

Unfortunately, Yahoo Sent messages still do not show up, but I appreciate the help in sorting out Gmail
    06-14-12 05:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD