I use my playbook for work and I love it but I have 2 problems with excel files

1. I have a very important attachment daily that gives me the error message that an internal error has occurred and if it persists I should restart the device. No matter how many times I restart it it never opens.

2. I get an Excel email attachment that has hidden fields...even when I select the row I need and hit the eye icon or doesn't unhide the fields.

Please help
    03-25-12 08:37 PM
    I have had number 1 happen to me. Try to rename the file and re open. Hope this helps.
    03-25-12 09:27 PM
    How do I rename a file??

It's in an email as an attachment
    03-25-12 09:34 PM
    Can anyone help me here??

Desperate to get this thing cooking
    03-25-12 10:13 PM
    Can you download the attachment to the tablet and open the spreadsheet with Docs-to-Go? Another option is using Print-to-Go on your computer to send a PDF version of the spreadsheet; read-only document though. With Microsoft Office installed on your computer you can probably automate the process through Visual Basic for Applications (VBA).
    03-25-12 10:42 PM
    I am new to the playbook

It comes as an xlsx file attached to an email that is auto forward from my boss.

It says tap to download...the little bar turns green and it opens doc to go excel...then I get the error message

Sorry for being such a ******
    03-25-12 10:54 PM
    Is the email, BRIDGE email or using the "new" native email? If Bridge, the file may be downloading to your phone. Native, then it would be in the downloads folder and using File Manager (does it allow rename?) or the Free Air Browser, you could try renaming it.

If a corporate phone is is on BES? Maybe you can ascertain what version of Excel it is being saved in or as? And, could it contain too complex a series of entries the the rather weak Sheets cannot deal with? How large?

Sorry, just a series of questions that might lead somewhere.....
    03-26-12 12:18 AM
    It's bridge email that goes through my corporate outlook mail client.

It's saved as an xlsx file and it's only 153kb
    03-26-12 03:21 AM
    It's bridge email that goes through my corporate outlook mail client.

It's saved as an xlsx file and it's only 153kb
    Can you open the Microsoft Excel 2010 (.xlsx) attachment on the BlackBerry smartphone?
    03-26-12 03:41 AM
    Yes I can...it just takes some time to fully render
    03-26-12 03:44 AM
    Yes I can...it just takes some time to fully render
    Save the attachment to the tablet and try opening it on the BlackBerry PlayBook.
    03-26-12 04:02 AM
    Stupid question but how do I save it to the tablet
    03-26-12 04:05 AM
    Stupid question but how do I save it to the tablet
    1. Enable bridge mode on the BlackBerry smartphone and tablet and pair the devices.
    2. Launch the bridge-mode email application, not the native email application.
    3. Open the message containing the attachment.
    4. Click (press on the attachment name) and hold for a moment until a menu appears; select save attachment. Actually, at this point just try opening the attachment on the tablet without saving it to determine whether you can view it. If not successful, save the attachment to the tablet.
    5. Launch File Browser / File Manager and navigate to the Documents or Downloads subdirectory to locate the attachment that was saved.
    6. You should be able to open the Microsoft Excel 2010 file from within the File Browser / File Manager.
    7. Report the outcome here.
    03-26-12 04:14 AM
    OK so I get nothing if I click know and hold.

I have the file name and underneath is say 'tap to open'
    And that is it
    03-26-12 04:21 AM
    OK so I get nothing if I click know and hold.

I have the file name and underneath is say 'tap to open'
    And that is it
    Okay, with bridge mode enabled between the smartphone and tablet, save the attachment on the smartphone, launch the File Browser application on the smartphone, copy to the file to the tablet, and finally on the tablet launch File Browser / File Manager application and select the Microsoft Excel 2010 spreadsheet file. I am trying to determine where the problem originates - bridge mode connection for email on tablet, file format not supported on tablet, something else...
    03-26-12 04:28 AM
    OK that opened it!! Maybe it just can't open something that big through the bridge??

Now still trying to fix the problem of the hidden fields.. Any light you can shed on that one
    03-26-12 04:44 AM
    OK that opened it!! Maybe it just can't open something that big through the bridge??

Now still trying to fix the problem of the hidden fields.. Any light you can shed on that one
    Yeah, the Blackberry Bridge is a work-in-progress but certainly is handy in its present state. The hidden fields in the spreadsheet are probably an artifact of a feature-incomplete Docs-to-Go suite for the Blackberry PlayBook. Research In Motion licensed development rights to the Blackberry PlayBook version of the DataViz Docs-to-Go office suite and as such are solely responsible for its features or lack thereof.
    03-26-12 04:57 AM
    I tried this before the os update and it worked...is there any reason that would have stopped it?

Could I use a different excel viewer to get it to work
    03-26-12 04:59 AM
    Just a word of advice don't use comas in the name it wont open use an _
    03-26-12 05:38 AM
    There is a new Office Suite but I probably don't recall its correct name "picsel" or something like that. I don't know how good it is but they apparently have a trial version. Ah, Smart Office Lite is the free one. Searching for "picsel" finds it.
    03-26-12 09:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD