Ok, so I have tried searching google and these forums with several combinations of terms and just can't seem to find what I'm looking for: Whenever I type a password in the web browser on my PB it shows each character for a second on screen before switching to an asterisk. I don't like that this happens because anyone looking at my PB or looking at my connected HDMI screen could easily decipher my passwords despite my fast typing skills.

Is there a way to shut this off without going into developer mode or sideloading? I am good with computers, but I don't know much when it comes to the tablet/mobile world and would rather not risk losing any sort of warranty.
    06-09-12 12:05 AM
    Seems to be a function of the virtual keyboard both on playbook and touch phones doesn't display when using a real keyboard . Just my observation.
    06-09-12 03:57 AM
    There's no way to "turn that off". Passwords and sensitive data that can deleted are the ones that come up with the predictive text feature. You do this by tapping and holding whatever you want to delete until the delete box pops up.
    06-09-12 06:15 AM
    Seems to be a function of the virtual keyboard both on playbook and touch phones doesn't display when using a real keyboard . Just my observation.
    Well at first I was second guessing myself after reading your response, but I just checked with my 128-bit encrypted Microsoft 6000 bluetooth keyboard at my hotmail and unfortunately it does the same thing. So at least for the playbook it does the same with physical keyboards unless there is a keyboard compatibility issue between the PB and my keyboard.

As for the second poster response: I have no idea why you think predictive text has anything to do with my problem, but maybe I'm reading you wrong?

Anyone else bothered by this issue?
    06-09-12 05:42 PM
    That is a BlackBerry standard. It worked well with a personal phone but as you figured out, with your device connected to a big screen, not desirable. This should be changed now by RIM.

In the meantime, disconnect the PB from the screen when typing a PW. Or change the password before the presentation.
    06-09-12 07:12 PM
    I've been thinking about this issue recently, but even if you disable the one-second letter preview, they will still see which letters you are typing on the software keyboard (if you're not using a BT keyboard of course). So everytime I have friends around and want to type a password on my PlayBook attached to HDMI, I just have to pop the cable out for a few seconds and that's not a very comfortable solution.

Sent from my BlackBerry PlayBook using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Farokh; 06-09-12 at 07:15 PM.
    06-09-12 07:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD