Is there a way for us to tether our PB's during photoshoots... Would be nice if my team or clients could view images simultaneously as I'm shooting... I know its possible with the ipad, so I'm wondering if theres a way.... any ideas?
    05-30-11 06:18 PM
    ooc how do you do it on ios?

this would be very cool on the pb
    05-30-11 06:26 PM
    the PB does not have USB host right now. You might be able to do it via bluetooth or if in a wifi enable studio and with a wifi camera. Either way probably is not like how the Ipad does it
    05-30-11 06:47 PM
    there are cameras that have wifi access...

my PB can access photos on other laptops and desktops over wifi, including running a slideshow of those jpg files... using orb - works fine fine fine!

must be a way to access files off a wifi enabled camera... perhaps if it was live-linked to a laptop using the camera's software, then link to the appropriate laptop folder using orb from the PB
    05-30-11 06:52 PM
    How do you do it with an ipad? The only way I knew of was using the eyefi card which has an app for ipad or iphone. I've always thought this would be a great use for a tablet being able to tether and see the photos. Either way I'm sure it's a lot easier on something like an ipad, and if this does happen on a playbook it won't be for a long time like everything else.
    05-30-11 09:49 PM
    How do you do it with an ipad? The only way I knew of was using the eyefi card which has an app for ipad or iphone. I've always thought this would be a great use for a tablet being able to tether and see the photos. Either way I'm sure it's a lot easier on something like an ipad, and if this does happen on a playbook it won't be for a long time like everything else.

Heres a couple links

Tethered Shooting To A Wireless iPad – Very Cool!!!!! � Brent Pearson’s Photo Journey

3 Easy Steps to Tether Your DSLR Camera to an Apple iPad - DSLR Photography News & Reviews
    05-30-11 11:19 PM
    05-30-11 11:40 PM
    I don't know about Canon but with Nikon in most cases you have to be able to setup a FTP server on the receiving end. I'd LOVE to see Nikon come out with a Capture Control app but I doubt it wold for PB before doing it for iOS or Android.
    05-31-11 11:14 AM
    you get a wifi SD card for your camera, then have the playbook and camera on the same wifi network, get someone to design a playbook app to pull in the pictures when being take to the playbook app.
    05-31-11 01:33 PM
    Or you can just use the ipad Camera connection kit to connect your SD card or camera to the bipad and synch to the photo app show the pics or do alterations than synch back. Itt seems safter than thrid party eye fi cards.
    05-31-11 03:16 PM
    I got this going on a Canon/Mac setup using Canon EOS Utility and the PlayBook's awesome WiFi File Sharing feature.

To do list:
    1. Ensure both devices are connected to the same wireless router.
    2. In Mac OS, Connect to server - smb://192.168.1.5 (your PlayBook's IP)
    3. With the Camera connected via USB & switched on, open Canon EOS Utility.
    4. Choose the destination folder on the PlayBook. I check the option to save to the camera's memory card also.
    5. Capture an image. Both Raw & Jpeg files will transmit to the PlayBook. Only the Jpegs will be viewable.

Until there's an "App for that", we'll have to make do with the PlayBook's Pictures App for viewing each image (manually).

I imagine this should be possible with Nikon software & Windows systems.

Questions/comments/suggestions welcome.

PlayBook File Sharing setup links:
    Mac:

Windows:
    Last edited by whobussyu; 09-26-11 at 07:00 PM. Reason: YouTube Links added
    09-26-11 06:28 PM
    I dont see why a setup similar to this would not do the trick:
    Maybe someone else does - I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...n-tool-654109/

I'm still looking for a way to simply get my pics from the SD card in my camera to the playbook in the field without wifi!
    09-26-11 07:11 PM
    I was going to say do it over Wi-Fi but you still need a PC as a host. Should still work pretty awesome.
    10-06-11 03:34 PM
    I got this going on a Canon/Mac setup using Canon EOS Utility and the PlayBook's awesome WiFi File Sharing feature.

To do list:
    1. Ensure both devices are connected to the same wireless router.
    2. In Mac OS, Connect to server - smb://192.168.1.5 (your PlayBook's IP)
    3. With the Camera connected via USB & switched on, open Canon EOS Utility.
    4. Choose the destination folder on the PlayBook. I check the option to save to the camera's memory card also.
    5. Capture an image. Both Raw & Jpeg files will transmit to the PlayBook. Only the Jpegs will be viewable.

Until there's an "App for that", we'll have to make do with the PlayBook's Pictures App for viewing each image (manually).

I imagine this should be possible with Nikon software & Windows systems.

Questions/comments/suggestions welcome.

PlayBook File Sharing setup links:
    Mac:

Windows:
    I actually did this exact method in the studio a few days ago. Worked without any problems
    10-06-11 04:02 PM
    I dont see why a setup similar to this would not do the trick:
    Maybe someone else does - I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...n-tool-654109/

I'm still looking for a way to simply get my pics from the SD card in my camera to the playbook in the field without wifi!
    I think HDMI specs includes in and out signals ... so I wonder hdmi slot could be a quite good answer, if there's a way to capture ... or render pics on PB as a simple display. Did anyone try this allready ?
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 10-07-11 at 03:41 AM.
    d3adcrab likes this.
    10-06-11 04:17 PM
    seems all the solutions I see here you have to go through a computer even the ipad. This doesn't really make much since to me. If you have to drag a laptop into the field to be able to get the photos onto the playbook to show clients? Why not just show them on the laptop?
    Now if there is a solution where I can only take my camera and playbook and tether them now thats something that would interest me. Although if you are just wanting a larger screen to preview photos with your clients in the field, you can just connect your camera to any portable dvd player.
    I do use my playbook for in person proofing by logging into my website and letting the client view their gallery. Then they can also place there order right there too.
    10-06-11 07:35 PM
    I'd love to be able to update my fb or email pics to friends while in exotic places snapping pics with my nikon or with my canon while scuba diving. That's why I want this functionality. A nice wifi device to acces the web while out of country and able to download pics live while on vaca with no laptop to haul around.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-06-11 08:51 PM
    That's exactly the kind of thing I want to do with the PB...

In my prior travels, I used a Nokia N770 with its web browser and Skype (for international calls) and Gizmo5/Google Voice combo (for free local calls to the U.S). Skype still works great on it, but Gizmo5 got bought out by Google and they just recently shut it down. The browser is too old now, not being able to access banking sites, and is quite slow these days. Weight: 0.5 lbs, 2-3 hour battery life, removable battery for charging a spare while out-and-about.

More recent travels was with an Acer 1410 netbook. No software compromises here, other than speed: SD slot for uploading photos and full GNU/Linux for apps. Weight 3 lbs, 4-5 hour battery life, no charging of spare capability.

Current plan: 9850 for general travel usage with PB for bigger screen. I still need Skype or some kind of VOIP for both devices. For the PB, it would have been nice if there was an SD slot, or maybe USB host mode. Also, ideally, the PB could have a spare battery. Weight 1.2 lbs for both, with 8 hours battery life.

I'd love to be able to update my fb or email pics to friends while in exotic places snapping pics with my nikon or with my canon while scuba diving. That's why I want this functionality. A nice wifi device to acces the web while out of country and able to download pics live while on vaca with no laptop to haul around.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-06-11 09:25 PM
    I think HDMI specs includes in and out signals ... so I wonder hdmi slot could be a quite good answer, if there's a way to capture ... or render pics on PB as a simple display. Did anyone tried this allready ?
    Pretty sure the HDMI is output from playbook only.

The only hope I see is if an app is developed for your particular camera using the USB as input to playbook, or a wifi hotspot of some kind attached to the camera.

I hope someone develops a solution for this. Of course a micro SD card could be taken from the camera and put in your phone and bridged but too much agony.

IPad has some kind of camera connectivity dongle, not sure how that works or if something similar could be developed for Playbook.

Keep the thread alive!
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 10-06-11 at 09:32 PM.
    10-06-11 09:28 PM
    I'm replying in 3 threads covering different aspects and trying to find a solution and someone posted this.

AirStash�: wireless flash drive + pocket media server + SD adapter for iPhone, iPod touch & iPad

This might do the trick although it does cost 100$.

The current price of the PB was a big reason I was looking to buy it but if I have to spend an extra 100$ for a piece of hardware to be able to do what I can do on other tablets for free, it kinda irritates me...
    10-07-11 07:40 AM
    I'm replying in 3 threads covering different aspects and trying to find a solution and someone posted this.

AirStash�: wireless flash drive + pocket media server + SD adapter for iPhone, iPod touch & iPad

This might do the trick although it does cost 100$.

The current price of the PB was a big reason I was looking to buy it but if I have to spend an extra 100$ for a piece of hardware to be able to do what I can do on other tablets for free, it kinda irritates me...
    Did a quick Google, Engagdet's review suggests that it doesn't work with the Playbooks Browser....
    10-07-11 07:55 AM
    Did a quick Google, Engagdet's review suggests that it doesn't work with the Playbooks Browser....
    Well back to square 1 then lol

I'm gonna hold off on the PB purchase for now till dev con and see what 2.0 is bringing to the table. They gotta rectify these issues asap. It's doesn't make sense that Micro SD slots are a standard on almost all new tablets and we can't even use the USB to access mass storage devices...
    10-07-11 08:15 AM
    I haven't seen this in a long time, but ~10 years ago Palm users could get an SDIO Bluetooth memory card. I recall it had an extra bit that was the radio antenna on the end so it stuck out - don't know if anyone makes a modern version of this or what the connectivity (particularly w/PB) would be like. Maybe someone still makes 'em?

Just a thought. In 5 yrs or less we'll have something like NFC and your transfers device to device will be the tap & transfer just like HP had planned... but till then, jump through the hoops.
    10-07-11 08:32 AM
    I haven't seen this in a long time, but ~10 years ago Palm users could get an SDIO Bluetooth memory card. I recall it had an extra bit that was the radio antenna on the end so it stuck out - don't know if anyone makes a modern version of this or what the connectivity (particularly w/PB) would be like. Maybe someone still makes 'em?

Just a thought. In 5 yrs or less we'll have something like NFC and your transfers device to device will be the tap & transfer just like HP had planned... but till then, jump through the hoops.
    you mean something like this?

Eye-Fi memory cards: wireless photo & video uploads straight from your camera to your computer & the web.
    10-07-11 09:51 AM
    Except I was talking about bluetooth. The Eye-fi might potentially do the trick, but I already see how the PB handles wifi and external files. What might be possible as a kludge is to use the eye-fi to put the files on the micro-SD on a bridged BB and then use the Bridge Files to examine the files with the PB...

Still a can of worms. Thanks for the suggestion.
    10-07-11 10:00 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD