Post removed.
    Last edited by jrohland; 04-28-14 at 07:01 AM.
    Toodeurep likes this.
    04-30-12 01:57 PM
    I agree I love print to go. No more paper waste!!!!!!!!! :-)
    Toodeurep likes this.
    04-30-12 02:12 PM
    PtG was not working for me when it first came out. There's been a few threads in here about this already. But with the latest PB release, its working in fine order. Very nice program. Some will argue that you can just drag and drop files from any computer already, but this just seems to save that extra step of finding the device IP address first.
    04-30-12 02:51 PM
    Print to Go works for me and has saved me many times when I needed a document at work!
    04-30-12 02:57 PM
    Print to Go is yet another way that BlackBerry focuses on the real world functional stuff that is not gimmicky or flashy.
    I love PTG for several reasons but it is a great way to create a record for transactions/taxes/et al.
    04-30-12 02:59 PM
    How you guys got PtG to work is beyond me. I made a herculean effort to get it properly installed on my WinXP machine and no go. For some reason it just refuses to install properly. And this is with disabling everything recommended and then some.

RIM needs to revise the desktop program to be more reliable for installations and functionality. From what I read, there are a vast number of people who can't get it to work.
    04-30-12 03:11 PM
    It's a pretty useless feature honestly because it requires more work than is needed (installing a program on your computer).

You can just as easy USB your playbook to it and transfer it, or do it even easier and just normal WiFi file transfer without the need for anything other than your playbook and computer, completely eliminating the need for another program.
    04-30-12 04:28 PM
    Or you could email it to yourself. I do that with some files I want off the computer.
    04-30-12 04:31 PM
    It's a pretty useless feature honestly because it requires more work than is needed (installing a program on your computer).

You can just as easy USB your playbook to it and transfer it, or do it even easier and just normal WiFi file transfer without the need for anything other than your playbook and computer, completely eliminating the need for another program.
    Agreed. I use something as simple as Dropbox for anything I need to obtain. And if whatever I need isn't in Dropbox on my PC while I'm out and about, Splashtop will allow me to put it there. And with my phone's hotspot, I always have a wifi connection to do so.
    04-30-12 04:33 PM

But I cannot open Pro/Engineer files on my Playbook. I can however...file...print...Print To Go...done.

If my QC guy is out in the plant and needs a quick file sent to him, I can print it to his Playbook or even multiple devices.

There are dozens of file types that are not supported with ANY device other than one that has a native program installed. Print To Go gives me a solution to the problem. "Useless" is clearly not true.
    Scotter75 and Vorkosigan like this.
    04-30-12 04:45 PM
    But I cannot open Pro/Engineer files on my Playbook. I can however...file...print...Print To Go...done.

If my QC guy is out in the plant and needs a quick file sent to him, I can print it to his Playbook or even multiple devices.

There are dozens of file types that are not supported with ANY device other than one that has a native program installed. Print To Go gives me a solution to the problem. "Useless" is clearly not true.
    For the people who can't make PtG work, it is completely useless. There may be more steps involved with the way we have to do it, but at least it works. Setup a communal Dropbox account and it's almost the exact same thing.
    04-30-12 04:49 PM

That "more work" you refer to only happens once, and is pretty painless.

And allow me to suggest a couple of scenarios:

1) You want hard copy of a Web Page (say, with a flight reservation). It's way easier to use PtG than it would be to save the page, and then drop it into the device. Even with a PDF print driver, it's more steps.

2) You want only a portion of a large document. Since PtG uses the standard Windows print dialog you can easily specify a page range.
    04-30-12 04:59 PM
    Well, I am one of the people who could not get PTG to work for me and today I installed it on my newly wiped 7 yr old xp laptop and voila, it worked first try. Now I can put my guitar lessons on it. Yay
    04-30-12 06:28 PM
    Well, I am one of the people who could not get PTG to work for me and today I installed it on my newly wiped 7 yr old xp laptop and voila, it worked first try. Now I can put my guitar lessons on it. Yay
    If that's what it takes to get PtG working, it isn't worth it. Not about to wipe a computer just for that.
    04-30-12 06:34 PM
    If that's what it takes to get PtG working, it isn't worth it. Not about to wipe a computer just for that.
    You sound awfully bitter.

I'll agree, I wouldn't wipe a computer just to get PtG to work on it, either (though if utilities aren't working properly, the machine may be due for a nuke-and-pave anyway... just sayin).

PtG isn't spectacular, it isn't earth-shattering, but it DOES work for most users. It's also very useful for certain, specific scenarios.
    04-30-12 06:38 PM
    You sound awfully bitter.

I'll agree, I wouldn't wipe a computer just to get PtG to work on it, either (though if utilities aren't working properly, the machine may be due for a nuke-and-pave anyway... just sayin).

PtG isn't spectacular, it isn't earth-shattering, but it DOES work for most users. It's also very useful for certain, specific scenarios.
    Not at all. Just frustrated this program won't work. It's impossible to convey emotion through written words without using the symbols associated with those emotions and people pre-judge and assume things about others based on words that are written. Is there a 6th sense I'm not aware of that people are using to determine the online mental state of another, completely unknown, person?

By the way, this is an example of why the iPhone leads the market, it just works. People don't have to struggle to make things work, Apple does the struggling. And they don't have to go online and plead for assistance and not receive it because other people might be too involved or whatever with something else to bother to help a person. No need to do that with the iPhone system.
    Last edited by Marty_LK; 04-30-12 at 07:03 PM.
    04-30-12 06:58 PM
    So why then is there the Apple Genius Bar? If your computer is having problems installing a printer, and that is all the Windows part is, how is that RIM's fault? I wish I could help you to get PTG working. If I was in front of your computer I probably could fix it. Just like if you took a broken Apple device to the store, they may be able to fix it. In your case it is more likely Microsoft is at fault.
    I didn't have any troubles installing iTunes or any other of the many programs I have installed. The only program I can't get to work is PtG. Does that make a minority or majority. If 100 programs install properly and work and 1 doesn't, is it the computer's fault or the program?
    04-30-12 07:51 PM
    How you guys got PtG to work is beyond me. I made a herculean effort to get it properly installed on my WinXP machine and no go. For some reason it just refuses to install properly. And this is with disabling everything recommended and then some.

RIM needs to revise the desktop program to be more reliable for installations and functionality. From what I read, there are a vast number of people who can't get it to work.
    Same problem here.
    04-30-12 08:00 PM
    So why then is there the Apple Genius Bar? If your computer is having problems installing a printer, and that is all the Windows part is, how is that RIM's fault? I wish I could help you to get PTG working. If I was in front of your computer I probably could fix it. Just like if you took a broken Apple device to the store, they may be able to fix it. In your case it is more likely Microsoft is at fault.
    Well, its RIMs printer driver. And since it seem to be the ONLY thing that fails to install on my computer - including quite a few other printer drivers - and because a number of us have this problem with this driver, I'll guess that it is the drivers fault.

Also, if I had to put money on where the fix will come from (if ever there is one), I'd bet that the fix will come from an updated Print To Go windows driver install, rather than from Microsoft. So I'll try again if there is a v1.1 or something.
    Last edited by jhimmel; 04-30-12 at 08:16 PM.
    04-30-12 08:10 PM
    Yet I have it installed on 4 computers with no problem. Clearly it works. You know there are literally millions of ways Windows can be configured. That any given program doesn't work on some small number of computers is not a surprise.
    That's where the program should be smart enough to adjust itself to any configuration. And not everyone in the world is a computer scientist or knows sufficiently all the insides and outsides of computer OSes.

Sure, PtG installs perfectly fine on computers where the user knows enough about computer software to make it install properly.

Wait...are you saying Blackberry stuff should be restricted to computer professionals?
    Last edited by Marty_LK; 04-30-12 at 08:37 PM.
    04-30-12 08:35 PM
    I've run into a couple of instances where PrintToGo has been useful. It's not a significant feature until you find a situation in which you need it/prefer it and then you really appreciate it.
    04-30-12 10:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD