Okay, You install drivers provided by RIM, and with print2go, a desktop app simply uses the playbook as a write-to output file. Correct? You are essentially using the desktop to store a file, printed as it were, created by a desktop application.

Whats the difference between that and simply using wifi share, and transferring an output file to the playbook via a wireless router like I already do? I understand it would merely take out a step but its the same thing, correct?

I have a folder on my laptop and my desktop both homescreen that has my playbook's ip address on the wireless network at my house as an address... http://192.168.0.xxx .... I open that folder, and voilŠ, my playbooks folders and files are right there essentially as an exterior hard drive. I can move, manipulate and delete files as needed right from my desktop and laptop. Same thing, no? Instead of printing to a printer, i print to a file directly on my playbook....?
    01-11-12 04:09 PM
    I understand it would merely take out a step but its the same thing, correct?

Yup, I think you've answered your own question! It would take out a step!

But then also that neat stacking files into groups thing and all sorts of organizing tools to help your files be more organized I guess.
    01-11-12 04:32 PM
    I think it allows you to avoid file format incompatibility issues, because this way you can send documents to the PlayBook from obsolete or proprietary file formats.
    01-11-12 04:34 PM
    imagine you're an average consumer. Most consumers (about 3/4 of the people I know with playbooks) won't understand how to use the IP address to access the file system. All of them, however, should understand "select 'playbook xxx' when printing instead of the printer". Also, the printed files should be formatted to nicely fit on the playbook's "paper" size, without needing extra options to do so.
    01-11-12 04:39 PM
    Does anyone know the format for these "printed" documents? Are they PDF documents? Or some format special to the PlayBook?
    01-11-12 04:49 PM
    Does anyone know the format for these "printed" documents? Are they PDF documents? Or some format special to the PlayBook?
    I just watched the vid and one of the docs certainly used pdf.
    It occurs to me that "printing" the file to the PB gets the doc into the cool TAT interface, otherwise you just use the documents folder and either word to go or Adobe.
    I would assume that choosing print to go from within Word on your desktop would create a .doc file and not a pdf.
    01-11-12 05:09 PM
    Nahhh, it'd be a pdf or some sort of special format. No matter how fancy the drivers are, they usually can't preserve file format.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-11-12 05:19 PM
    I think there may be some corporate or security related reasons why this may be different than just copying the files to the Playbook. It looks like they go through the BlackBerry servers to get pushed to the Playbooks and perhaps with BES there can be some IT policies controlling their use on the Playbook.
    01-11-12 05:26 PM
    It's all about ease of use. How many users know how to create a PDF of any random thing they want to print? Maybe they know how to do it from Word, but from their web browser? They'd have to install a virtual PDF printer. Then they'd have to know how to connect to their PlayBook over the network. Even if you setup a mapped drive what if the PlayBook's IP address changed? Print To Go where you just select "Print to PlayBook" and everything happens automatically however is simple and straightforward for the average user. The nice Print To Go app doesn't hurt either.

Given it's based on BBID it's also possible it's cloud based. Meaning it will work even if your PB isn't on your home network, say you're at an airport or somewhere else that you won't be able to directly access your PB. That one's just speculation though, we'll have to wait and see.
    01-11-12 05:34 PM
    imagine you're an average consumer. Most consumers (about 3/4 of the people I know with playbooks) won't understand how to use the IP address to access the file system. All of them, however, should understand "select 'playbook xxx' when printing instead of the printer". Also, the printed files should be formatted to nicely fit on the playbook's "paper" size, without needing extra options to do so.
    Okay that right there is probably "what im missing". This is for the average joe blow that knows nothing about wifi connections, ip addresses, connections,.etc and it assembles it all in a one step process. Gotcha.

Too bad it wasnt for wireless printing after all.
    01-11-12 06:09 PM
    Too bad indeed...
    01-11-12 06:16 PM
    I was wondering the same thing... I guess it just makes it a little "easier" to send those files to your PB.
    01-11-12 06:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD