Sorry if there is already a thread somewhere clearing this up, or explaining what to do in order to get things moving smoothly.
    Along with All other PlayBook owners, I'm up-tp-date with OS 2.0, and absolutely loving it. Although, there is one application that was included in the upgrade that I have yet been able to get working properly, or even give a try.
    I've already seen alot of complaints concerning the new Print To Go application, but i like to give it a try for myself.
    Here's the walkthrough:
    I send the install link to my email, open it up on my PC(which is running Windows 7), and follow the Download and Installation proccess correctly. And it goes through all the steps, ending with an "Installation Successful" window at the finish. BUT the actual 'file' doesn't seem to be anywhere on my PC AT ALL. I do a search, and it doesn't exist. The 'set-up wizard'(or whatever it's called) for it is there, but nothing else.
    Can someone help me with locating it? Or is there a step I'm missing? Or maybe its an already known issue or something?
    PLEASE..... HELP!!!
    02-27-12 11:59 AM
    When you run the installation, you'll see a "Print to Go" printer listed next to your actual, physical printer. So when you print something, tell it to print on "print to go".

This will pull up a setup dialog that requires you to login, and grab a PIN/Password from your playbook. The instructions tell you to swipe down and select the PAIR button, but there is no such button. Press the "settings" gear, and you'll see the PAIR ID in there. Type that in and print away.
    02-27-12 12:23 PM
    Sorry if there is already a thread somewhere clearing this up, or explaining what to do in order to get things moving smoothly.
    Along with All other PlayBook owners, I'm up-tp-date with OS 2.0, and absolutely loving it. Although, there is one application that was included in the upgrade that I have yet been able to get working properly, or even give a try.
    I've already seen alot of complaints concerning the new Print To Go application, but i like to give it a try for myself.
    Here's the walkthrough:
    I send the install link to my email, open it up on my PC(which is running Windows 7), and follow the Download and Installation proccess correctly. And it goes through all the steps, ending with an "Installation Successful" window at the finish. BUT the actual 'file' doesn't seem to be anywhere on my PC AT ALL. I do a search, and it doesn't exist. The 'set-up wizard'(or whatever it's called) for it is there, but nothing else.
    Can someone help me with locating it? Or is there a step I'm missing? Or maybe its an already known issue or something?
    PLEASE..... HELP!!!
    Yes, there is a step you're missing - it isn't an application. Open a document and click print, then you'll understand.
    02-27-12 12:28 PM
    Okay, cool.
    I REALLY appreciatte your response.
    Am unable to try it now, im at work, but will mos def give it a 'go' once i get home.
    See I assumed the pairing and all that stuff followed the installation.
    Well thanks again.
    I'll post how it goes once I'm able to check it out.
    02-27-12 12:30 PM
    It's really nothing more than a glorified PDF printer, configured to go to online storage like a dropbox account. I don't understand why it doesn't

A: Auto open the newly printed page on the playbook automatically (or at least have an option for this).
    B: Do full text indexing so you can search the contents of your printed documents. Why is it I can take a picture of a document with my phone, upload it to Evernote, and search for text IN THE IMAGE, yet print to go documents don't have this functionality, even when getting the raw data/text without having to do OCR in the first place... why?
    02-27-12 12:34 PM
    It's really nothing more than a glorified PDF printer, configured to go to online storage like a dropbox account. I don't understand why it doesn't
    No, there's no online storage at all, it just goes straight to the device. I've heard that the document is also encrypted to reduce the risk of it being intercepted.

A: Auto open the newly printed page on the playbook automatically (or at least have an option for this).
    That's arguably a quibble; one might just as easily say that for the sake of security it's left within the app for the user to open.

B: Do full text indexing so you can search the contents of your printed documents. Why is it I can take a picture of a document with my phone, upload it to Evernote, and search for text IN THE IMAGE, yet print to go documents don't have this functionality, even when getting the raw data/text without having to do OCR in the first place... why?
    THAT's not a bad idea...
    bquinney likes this.
    02-27-12 12:38 PM
    No, there's no online storage at all, it just goes straight to the device. I've heard that the document is also encrypted to reduce the risk of it being intercepted.
    Fair enough, I'm simply saying that downloading and installing a free PDF printer and configuring it to print to your Dropbox folder would emulate Print to Go on any number of other devices. It's neat that Blackberry is pushing the idea, but it's not really anything revolutionary, in my opinion at least.

Regarding auto-open, I just think pressing print and having your PB make a 1 second long dot-matrix printing sound effect to notify you the document printed, followed by opening the document automatically would be pretty sweet. I agree it's a minor quibble, and NOT something that should be forced, but it would be a nice option for probably 90% of users.
    Last edited by c4v3man; 02-27-12 at 12:52 PM.
    02-27-12 12:49 PM
    Fair enough, I'm simply saying that downloading and installing a free PDF printer and configuring it to print to your Dropbox folder would emulate Print to Go on any number of other devices. It's neat that Blackberry is pushing the idea, but it's not really anything revolutionary, in my opinion at least.
    Ehhh, sort of. It quickly puts a document locally on to your device.

I see it as a kind of a quickie utility to get reference material on to a device in a hurry, like a set of driving directions or something.

For instance, you want to quickly print off a webpage for a ticketmaster.com purchase that includes your seating diagram. Just select Print/Print to Go and it goes straight to your device. Every other way of accomplishing the same thing would take more steps and marginally more time.

It's also great for things like Visio drawings that aren't natively supported on the Playbook.
    02-27-12 12:55 PM
    Ehhh, sort of. It quickly puts a document locally on to your device.

I see it as a kind of a quickie utility to get reference material on to a device in a hurry, like a set of driving directions or something.

For instance, you want to quickly print off a webpage for a ticketmaster.com purchase that includes your seating diagram. Just select Print/Print to Go and it goes straight to your device. Every other way of accomplishing the same thing would take more steps and marginally more time.

It's also great for things like Visio drawings that aren't natively supported on the Playbook.
    I'm just going to say that assuming you have a connection on your device at the time (which you have to be connected at some point or another for the playbook to get the document) that it takes exactly the same amount of steps and time to use print to go, or to use CutePDF to print to a PDF, saved to your dropbox acccount. Click print, select the printer of choice, either press print on the print-to-go dialog box, or click save on the CutePDF dialog box, then go to your device, select either the Print-To-Go or Dropbox icon to launch the program, and click on your document. The document then opens.

Other than the fact that the document is saved immediately to your playbook, vs when you open the document with dropbox, the process is literally, exactly the same, takes exactly the same time, and has exactly the same program/visio/etc compatability.

So Print to go is better for devices, like the playbook, that don't have always on, 3G connections. If you have an always on connection, then it's really nothing better than what's available with other software.
    Last edited by c4v3man; 02-27-12 at 02:47 PM.
    02-27-12 02:40 PM

Those are exactly two of the things that immediately came to mind when I first saw the PTG function!
    02-27-12 03:19 PM
    I'm just going to say that assuming you have a connection on your device at the time (which you have to be connected at some point or another for the playbook to get the document) that it takes exactly the same amount of steps and time to use print to go, or to use CutePDF to print to a PDF, saved to your dropbox acccount. Click print, select the printer of choice, either press print on the print-to-go dialog box, or click save on the CutePDF dialog box, then go to your device, select either the Print-To-Go or Dropbox icon to launch the program, and click on your document. The document then opens.

Other than the fact that the document is saved immediately to your playbook, vs when you open the document with dropbox, the process is literally, exactly the same, takes exactly the same time, and has exactly the same program/visio/etc compatability.

So Print to go is better for devices, like the playbook, that don't have always on, 3G connections. If you have an always on connection, then it's really nothing better than what's available with other software.
    I see your point, but I do have to disagree. The same end result is the same, but the time AND steps taken are faster with PTG.
    02-27-12 03:21 PM
    Here's the walkthrough:
    PLEASE..... HELP!!!
    I had the same problem until I realized that the download was a virtual printer. Brilliant idea, crap information. And yes, it works a treat.
    02-27-12 04:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD