Woke up groggy, and grabbed my Playbook to check the weather. Seeing it was low on battery, I clumsily placed it on the Rapid Charging Pod upside down. Very pretty sparks shot off the cradle as it came into contact with the volume rocker in the pre-dawn gloom. Happily, everything still works. Moral of the story: Coffee first, then the Playbook. Mind you, sparks flying off the cradle is a pretty effective wake-up tool as well.
    kerry6, cntrydncr223 and peter9477 like this.
    01-26-12 10:29 AM
    Sweet.....I generally grab mine first thing also....gonn try the sparks next time with my coffee...

Thanks and Nice post...
    01-26-12 10:45 AM
    I guess from your story, we can pretty much tell how much you love your Playbook!

Glad your Playbook, nor the cradle, were unaffected.

Cheers!
    01-26-12 10:46 AM
    I have to say, that is not something I've had occur with the rapid charger thingie.
    01-26-12 10:58 AM
    The buttons seem to be insulated from the internals so I would be more concerned about damage to the charger. I didn't think the charger had enough juice to make that jump. Are the pins in the charger sticking above the plastic?
    Glad your still working correctly.
    01-26-12 11:27 AM
    Could be static.
    01-26-12 12:37 PM
    All my life I've been a coffee first (or else I'm grumpy) kinda person....
    That is, until I got "cracked".

Now, it's "Wait, hold on! I slept for HOW LONG???? holy schmaolly!!! What the he!! did I miss???!!!"

Then coffee...
    01-26-12 01:18 PM
    Well, that happened to me too once. I was putting my Playbook in the cradle after I had turned most of the lights off in the room. Don't really know how I flipped it over without noticing. Very pretty sparks.

I was going to write and warn my fellow forum members to be careful but since no one else seemed to be doing that, I felt too foolish admitting it. Thank you "revdoug" for admitting it first
    peter9477 and cntrydncr223 like this.
    01-26-12 02:17 PM
    Atleast they were "Very pretty sparks" I would have been very upset with RIM if they had been "ugly sparks"
    cogsinister likes this.
    01-26-12 02:22 PM
    Whatever you do don't touch the pretty sparky colors!
    01-26-12 04:42 PM
    i have done the same repeatedly, I figure one day that will be the end of the charger, but so far so good.

The crack-a-lacking from the sparks gives you a nice audio warning if you have the lights on and miss the sparks.
    01-26-12 07:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD