I am wondering if there would be many practical uses for an electrical contractor. I usually spend my days on a jobsite, and evenings bidding jobs. A few things come to mind. Load all my blueprints and job files on it. Then I wouldn't have to lug around my laptop. I could tether it with my blackberry and do emails easier. Would I be able to use Outlook on it? Any other ideas?
    03-19-11 09:57 PM
    Through the Bridge, you'll be able to access any of your PIM info on your BB, including you calendar and email. Not sure what else you'd want to use Outlook for?

I'd also guess that pretty much anything thay could be stored as a PDF or MS Office file format you should be able to take with you in the PB.

It certainly would be easier to carry around and use on the go. What other functions do you use your laptop for on a jobsite?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-19-11 10:19 PM
    depends on what format your blueprints are in and if you think the screensize is big enough.
    03-19-11 10:25 PM
    with the Otterbox it would be protected:
    IF you currently use a Blackberry for your contact details, and email then the Playbook will expand that experience.

the device will be small enough to store in a Hand tool box
    the device will HDMI out to a larger screen,

the challenge with all touch screen devices will be the dust on the screen, and scratching, how well will it respond with screen protectors?

What I would be looking at as a contractor would be an onsite 32" TV, to HDMI into for big screen viewing, if you need to really see the big picture of BluePrints, because IMO no tablet on the market under $5000 is big enough for proper blueprint viewing, but the playbook will be great to follow in small pockets while away from the desk.
    03-20-11 07:56 AM
    depends on what format your blueprints are in and if you think the screensize is big enough.
    My blueprints are usually in PDF format. You wouldn't be able to view the whole print, but the ability to enlarge a section would be great.
    03-20-11 09:42 AM
    with the Otterbox it would be protected:
    IF you currently use a Blackberry for your contact details, and email then the Playbook will expand that experience.

the device will be small enough to store in a Hand tool box
    the device will HDMI out to a larger screen,

the challenge with all touch screen devices will be the dust on the screen, and scratching, how well will it respond with screen protectors?

What I would be looking at as a contractor would be an onsite 32" TV, to HDMI into for big screen viewing, if you need to really see the big picture of BluePrints, because IMO no tablet on the market under $5000 is big enough for proper blueprint viewing, but the playbook will be great to follow in small pockets while away from the desk.
    I hear what you are saying, but having a TV onsite would be a hassel. The more I think about this here is my thoughts. I usually bid jobs in the evening. My phone calls and follow ups are usually done during the day. Business hours. This device would not be so much usefull on a jobsite as far as reading prints(I always have a full size set I can scale off). Were it would come in handy would be my day to day interactions with customers, and potential customers. To have access to files on jobs I have bid, as well as if I am on one job and a contractor from one of my others called. To have instant access to their files would be awsome. No laptop needed.
    03-20-11 09:53 AM
    I hear what you are saying, but having a TV onsite would be a hassel. The more I think about this here is my thoughts. I usually bid jobs in the evening. My phone calls and follow ups are usually done during the day. Business hours. This device would not be so much usefull on a jobsite as far as reading prints(I always have a full size set I can scale off). Were it would come in handy would be my day to day interactions with customers, and potential customers. To have access to files on jobs I have bid, as well as if I am on one job and a contractor from one of my others called. To have instant access to their files would be awsome. No laptop needed.
    I'm thinking the 64gb PB would be ideally suited for such needs.
    03-20-11 09:59 AM
    and will definitely be picking up a PB to use on jobsites. Like you my prints and redlines are saved as PDF's so there should be no problem viewing these on the PB. In addition I'll be able to use the PB for bid walks to take pics of sites and to take notes. I think it will be of great value to people out in the field.
    03-20-11 10:25 AM
    And a tax write off!

03-20-11 10:27 AM
    And a tax write off!

Never thought of that.
    03-20-11 10:33 AM
    Apple has a .DWG viewer and editor for their devices. I'm thinking this would be very useful for you, but I don't think its available right now for any BBs. I could make use of this app. But what I really want to see is a Free eDrawings Viewer for SolidWorks, DWG and DXF files
    for the PB this would be great to have on site or in the build shop, to answer any questions machinist have about parts and assembly instructions. (I'm a machine designer)

Edit: to any developers I would spend a considerable amount of money on the viewer. Up until now no devises were powerful enough to handle that type of rendering, maybe the PB can, I donno.
    Last edited by ummie4; 03-20-11 at 10:53 AM.
    03-20-11 10:49 AM
    Apple has a .DWG viewer and editor for their devices. I'm thinking this would be very useful for you, but I don't think its available right now for any BBs. I could make use of this app. But what I really want to see is a Free eDrawings Viewer for SolidWorks, DWG and DXF files
    for the PB this would be great to have on site or in the build shop, to answer any questions machinist have about parts and assembly instructions. (I'm a machine designer)

Edit: to any developers I would spend a considerable amount of money on the viewer. Up until now no devises were powerful enough to handle that type of rendering, maybe the PB can, I donno.
    I agree a .DWG viewer would be great. I don't use them alot, but sometimes i need to.
    03-20-11 11:24 AM
    Tax right off is awesome! With my tech toys! I write them all off

As for TV on Jobsite being a pain, there are some pretty slick LED TV's. BUT, you are right it isn't ideal.
    A DWG viewer would be pretty nice, I could see that being developped for the Playbook
    a

03-20-11 11:50 AM
    I am also an electrical contractor that has been using tablets on the jobsites for years, even before apple made them "cool" I have a 10" fujitsu and a 15" gateway and i can tell you from experiance neither of them work very well. the fujitsu is great for hand written notes because its smaller and lighter than the gateway. I am using an Ipad now and its the best of the three. But the downside is the size, you cannot view blueprints very well and its next to impossible to explain something on the prints to a customer. The size of the PB will make it even harder to communicate via plans, its just to small to be any use. I know people will say that you can put the PB in your pocket but realistically, you wont. if you bring any kind of electronics on a construction site without proper protection (ie otterbox) then it will make the tablet to big and bulky to put in your pocket.

As for carrying your files, that will work and apple has a cool app that lets you do invoices and change orders, accident reports, notes , etc right from the ipad on site and you can email it directly to your client. Nothing impresses a client more than email them invoices or change orders instantly.

Just my 2 cents
    03-20-11 01:22 PM
    Back in the mid to late 90's was a heyday for all sorts of trade apps, Drawing, Calcs, converters, etc. Unfortunately they were hampered by OS compatibility issues and processor limitations. Now that the hardware has evolved, lets hope we see a renascence for more apps like these instead of the current crop of kiddie toys.
    BTW, Drawing programs do have a place on tablets, as I have for years been using my laptop for reading and scaling on industrial builds (the "Snap to" functions are far better than an analog scale). I woiuld like to try again to introduce tablets to the work site for data recording and collimation, print reading, remote process control, and observation.
    If they make it, we will come. Just make it simple and easy.
    03-20-11 06:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD