Is it possible to connect to the PlayBook to a PPTP VPN?
    04-28-11 02:41 PM
    I as well would like this support built in. I would guess its a security concern with RIM as it's not the most secure VPN protocol. Are you using a Linksys VPN router that you would like to connect to?
    04-28-11 02:55 PM
    Is it possible to connect to the PlayBook to a PPTP VPN?
    help please? do do you setup a pptp vpn on the playbook? i am using strongvpn.
    05-01-11 02:35 AM
    Sorry, PPTP is not a supported protocol on Playbook.

With PPTP, passwords are sent in the clear, and data encryption once authenticated is weak. RIM and most corporate IT departments cringe at using it.
    05-01-11 06:54 AM
    Sorry, PPTP is not a supported protocol on Playbook.

With PPTP, passwords are sent in the clear, and data encryption once authenticated is weak. RIM and most corporate IT departments cringe at using it.
    But wouldn't it make sense if they offered the option anyway? Let users decide which VPN to use? I mean I get that they cater to enterprise user VPN needs but regular consumers use PPTP (hence it is offered out of the box for iOS and android).

RIM not supporting it due to security concerns is like Apple not supporting Flash due to performance concern.
    05-02-11 05:17 AM
    Well since I use PPTP on a DD-WRT Linksys Router for my home, I won't be getting a PlayBook if it doesn't support PPTP. I may as well continue to use my netbook to connect to my network. PPTP may not be as secure as a SonicWall or a FortiGate but it is more than adequate for home and small business use (instead of just punching holes in your router and port forwarding). If the PlayBook is going to succeed in the consumer market they might want to think about the consumer's needs.
    05-07-11 12:12 AM
    I'd also like PPTP support. Or IPsec that works with Cisco Small Busness Routers.

I have a Cisco RV220W Small Busness Router. It supports PPTP, Web SSL, and IPsec VPNs. However, The IPsec support on Ciscos small busness routers is non normal and only works with the cisco quick vpn client. I have tried to get it working on both my Playbook and my IPAD (Boo!!! work gave them to us as an x-mas gift last year. ) So thats a no go. the web ssl uses active x to install software on the computer and that does not work on the Playbook or the IPAD but the IPAD and the Cisco both support PPTP so thats what I have been using for my home setup. I hope Rim supports it on the Playbook at some point. I have placed a request on Rims Playbook support page and hope everyone who replays to this will as well. I'd think with an update every 2 weeks they will be more open to adding things that are requested if they get a lot of requests for somthing. And some how I don't see them getting a lot of requests to support Cisco bad support of IPsec in there small busness routers.

it's that or I'd have to upgrade my router to a Cisco 891 before my trip in Sep. It's going to be hard to talk the wife into letting me get a $1k router after the cost of the Playbook, the RV220W Router, QNap 595 NAS, and a Cisco 200-26 Switch to upgrade my home network even if I did sell it to her by telling her it was so she can access her files for school from anywhere and keep them backed up.

Phil
    05-07-11 01:31 AM
    The current vpn options on the playbook may be fine for businesses, but they should definitely look at how simple it is to setup l2tp or pptp vpns on an ios device or in windows as they are typically the sort of thing somebody would get if using an online vpn provider.
    05-07-11 07:47 AM
    They may be fine for the Enterprise but not for Small Busnesses like mine.

I have a Cisco Small busness router but yet have had no luck getting any of the playbook vpns to work with it.
    05-09-11 09:27 AM
    The VPN support on Blackberry devices is just pathetic... RIM is really like a dinosaur when it comes to keeping pace with its time. It takes them so long to realize that people want something and it's only after seeing the others doing it that they finally implement it.
    Morten likes this.
    05-19-11 12:06 PM
    Well I do hope they do something soon as it would be quite beneficial to anyone in the small business arena. Not all businesses require top level security. One can always hope that someone will make some sort of client app that could create the tunnel.
    05-19-11 01:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD