Quick question, I'm currently in med school and I have a ton of books that are in a variety of formats (i.e pdf, chm etc)

Can the playbook read all these types of documents or do I need to download an app for it or convert the documents?

Any help is appreciated, thank you!
    04-29-11 07:58 PM
    I should probably let others answer.

Currently, pdf support is not the strong suit of the pb. It opens the documents and you can read them but it does not appear to allow search or placing a bookmark. What's odd about that is the app is from Adobe - you'd think it would have been a bit richer in features. Maybe it is what was available at release time. It does show html. I'm not sure about the chm format.
    04-29-11 08:19 PM
    Chm support can be added through a lot of ebook readers: I personally use Book Reader, which is available in BlackBerry World.

For PDF reading I would recommend Sporadic Software's PDF Reader. It's a pay app but it can do so much more than the stock Adobe Reader on the PlayBook. The newest version even allows you to open multiple documents at once, and to add comments and highlight text.

The built in Documents to Go does a credible job with Office formats, but it's best suited to reading files rather than creating them.

Hope this helps you a little.

Posted via CB10
    09-13-13 08:54 PM
    I usually have to save Power Point I create on my laptop in 2003 version & they are great on the PB. Just drag & drop. If you have a BlackBerry phone, use Presenter in Bridge to advance slides, control videos & docs. With BB10 the volume keys advance slides. The PB is a real workhorse. You will find more & more ways to use it. Take advantage of all the reviews & resources here on CB. You will get way more out of your devices. And good luck in your program.

Posted via CB10 with *Z* BEST!
    09-13-13 11:22 PM
    For basic accessing and editing, PlayBook's DocToGo is still OK... but if you are an advanced user in MS office and need a more functional PDF reader and even editing, you'll be needing more than the PlayBook...

Posted via Z10
    09-14-13 01:59 AM
    For pdfs I recommend PDF reader(on bb world) and Repligo Reader(sideloaded), for editing office documents docs to go works ok but you can sideload kingsoft office, it works great on the playbook.
    09-14-13 02:06 AM
    Re: .pdf files, the stock .pdf app (Adobe Reader) doesn't provide a word search feature--a drawback which is ridiculous. I've downloaded both .Pdf Reader and qPDF Viewer from Blackberry World; both free apps have word search features.
    For MS Word and PowerPoint files, I use either Docs To Go or Smart Office 2 (which is a paid app). Both apps have serious drawbacks in addressing these files--especially in the editing area.
    ( I also sideloaded a couple of apps for these files; however, because these apps didn't successfully address the drawbacks of Docs To Go or Smart Office 2, I deleted these sideloaded apps.)
    I have a few PowerPoint files that have embedded music/audio. Neither Docs To Go nor Smart Office 2 would play this music/audio. Yet, I have a three-year old low end Nokia semi-smartphone with 128 megs of RAM that fully opens these PowerPoint files (admittedly on a very small screen).
    Many of the MS Word documents that I create and/or otherwise use have footnotes (and my embedded signature, in the cases of many Word documents I create). Neither Docs To Go nor Smart Office 2 will show my signature. Neither of these apps will show the footnotes in a "what you see is what you get manner." Rather, the apps will show the contents of the footnotes if I cursor over the footnote numbers in the main bodies of these Word documents.
    I will note that, when I have converted Word documents with footnotes and/or my signature to a .pdf format; Adobe Reader, PDF Reader and qPDF Viewer will show my signature and/or the footnotes in a "what you see is what you get" manner.
    One free app I have found very helpful is UrlToPDF, which will convert many web pages to word-searchable .pdf files and, in many cases, keep live hyperlinks in the created .pdf files. UrlToPDF isn't successful on all web pages--just 80-90 percent, in my experience. In light of the app's price, I choose not to complain.
    FF22 likes this.
    09-14-13 02:53 AM