It started about a week ago. When the playbook is connected to AC power, all works ok. As soon as I disconnect the power cable, playbook would shut down or the screen would freeze. In the event of screen freeze, reconnecting the power cable solves the problem. The battery indicator shows full, but I have a feeling it's a problem with the battery, i.e. the battery is really dead and the indicator is not displaying it correctly. Any idea or suggestion?
    11-22-13 02:35 PM
    It started about a week ago. When the playbook is connected to AC power, all works ok. As soon as I disconnect the power cable, playbook would shut down or the screen would freeze. In the event of screen freeze, reconnecting the power cable solves the problem. The battery indicator shows full, but I have a feeling it's a problem with the battery, i.e. the battery is really dead and the indicator is not displaying it correctly. Any idea or suggestion?
    The screen freezes.... how long will it stay frozen? If the battery were dead I would assume that pretty quickly it will shut off.

What happens when you try to restart it?

Have you notice battery life getting shorter lately?

Has the device gotten hotter than normal?

Suggestion.... Backup and reload the OS. Don't think it is software related, but that is the only thing I would know to try other than replacing the battery (seen around $30 - $50 on ebay). These batteries are suppose to last 2 - 3 years under normal usage (from their production date - not the day you bought the tablet) But I'm not sure that is the issue, so it might be a waste to do that (BlackFriday Specials).
    11-22-13 02:59 PM
    How old is the unit? Warranty?
    11-22-13 08:53 PM
    If screen freezes, it would unfreeze as soon as I re-plug the cable. When connected to cable and AC, the unit works fine, so restart is not a problem. If it's unplugged, then nothing happens with any button push, i.e. won't turn on etc. Not noticed problem with temperature or battery life of the unit in the past month. The unit was bought almost 2 years ago, so I imagine warranty is gone. Is there some sort of diagnostic program (either app or PC desktop software) that can be used to check the battery?
    11-25-13 02:56 PM
    If screen freezes, it would unfreeze as soon as I re-plug the cable. When connected to cable and AC, the unit works fine, so restart is not a problem. If it's unplugged, then nothing happens with any button push, i.e. won't turn on etc. Not noticed problem with temperature or battery life of the unit in the past month. The unit was bought almost 2 years ago, so I imagine warranty is gone. Is there some sort of diagnostic program (either app or PC desktop software) that can be used to check the battery?
    Battery Guru in the BB app world is the best for reporting on the battery but it can only report data that is supplied by the battery control circuitry and the PB software. There is a trouble shooting section in the Blackberry toolkit and you may find something there. Screen freeze does not seem like a symptom of low battery but more like an operating system crash. Perhaps there is a rogue app but the relation to plugging and unplugging the charger is beyond me. Run it with the charger plugged in and try to find out all you can. Clear browser history. Use Advanced App Manager to check on Android apps that might be running and kill them. If you have recently sideloaded some apps you may want to uninstall them. What charger are you using ?

Do not think that opening up playbook and working on battery is the thing to do now. Before that I would try the three button reset and if that failed the security wipe and start over.

http://www.troubleshootingtoolkit.co...?lang=1&id=146
    Carl Estes likes this.
    11-25-13 03:42 PM
    if not a warranty job then I'd try the above before cracking the unit open and running a meter over the batteries. something isn't right and it could just be screwy software.
    11-26-13 05:31 PM
    Perhaps "freeze" was not entirely correct, it's more like a "pause" of screen where Playbook is not responsive to touch of screen. Either way the "pause" is gone, so whenever the power is unplugged, it's a shut down. Now I noticed something interesting. With the device sitting on a table, it doesn't shut down with unplug of AC power, even lifting it up slowly and lightly is okay. But as soon as I move the unit with some force, i.e. putting it down with a little more force, it shuts down. It's clear that there's something loose inside the device, and it's causing the shut down. I tried security wipe and re-installing OS, same thing.
    12-01-13 05:02 PM