Hi guys,

What would be the top Android tablet under $400 that could potentially replace PlayBook? Any rumours of upcoming tablets (within a year)?

I'm guessing I'll need to replace my PB within the next year... just wanted to see my options!

I've so far been suggested Nexus 7 and Nexus 10. I kind of like Nex7 but feels a little too phone like. At the same time, Nex10 looks like it has terrible build quality.

Any other good Android tablets that would get the latest OSes? I do a lot of multitasking and work with PDFs.

ALSO BIG QUESTION: can Android tablets record voice like the PlayBook?! This is HUGE for me because of university lecture recordings.

Thanks!
    10-07-13 08:27 PM
    nexus 7 or I picked up a nook HD+.....both would be great choice and much less than 400. Samsung galaxy 8.0 would be nice but more expensive.
    10-07-13 09:01 PM
    Nexus 7 is always a great choice.

BBM channels: c00121c99 for some knowledge and c00123fca for some real hip hop
    10-07-13 09:03 PM
    In the 100 - 150 buck range, the Hisense pro 7 or the Azus memopad hd.
    DisturbedRocks31 likes this.
    10-08-13 08:40 AM
    Nexus 7 seems to be the hot Android item, these days. For me, I am going Windows as I now have a W8 phone and W8 desktop.
    biff101 likes this.
    10-08-13 10:03 AM
    Tihe Kindle Fire hdx 8.9, listed as available November 7, has very impressive specs and at 13.2 ounces with a beautiful screen and great specs ought to be a very impressive tablet. But unless you go to considerable effort you are stuck in the Amazon pasture. When another company makes a similar tab I will be interested because the 8.9" size is to me a good choice for a hand held device.
    10-08-13 01:47 PM
    Yeah I think the Samsung Galaxy tab 3 8.0 is a decent option. I've considered it myself as I'm the proud owner of a dead PlayBook currently.
    Last edited by axllebeer; 10-08-13 at 05:57 PM.
    10-08-13 01:51 PM
    Tihe Kindle Fire hdx 8.9, listed as available November 7, has very impressive specs and at 13.2 ounces with a beautiful screen and great specs ought to be a very impressive tablet. But unless you go to considerable effort you are stuck in the Amazon pasture. When another company makes a similar tab I will be interested because the 8.9" size is to me a good choice for a hand held device.
    I doubt installing a build of Cyanogen Mod (and thus gettting a "vanilla" Android experience) will be "considerable effort". Judging by the ease with which it can be installed on current Kindle Fires, it should be fairy straight forward.
    10-08-13 04:10 PM
    I doubt installing a build of Cyanogen Mod (and thus gettting a "vanilla" Android experience) will be "considerable effort". Judging by the ease with which it can be installed on current Kindle Fires, it should be fairy straight forward.
    Perhaps not for one really proficient. But it would be more difficult for me and maybe for many who visit this forum. And who knows what Amazon will do next. But if ACL ever comes out with a good build for the HP Touchpad I will try that.
    10-08-13 05:07 PM
    Dell has some upcoming tablets I will be checking out. Android and windows. The wife's nook hd seems to he really good for the price as well.

I know this is outside thread, but does anyone know where a playbook 4g could maybe be purchased?
    10-09-13 10:32 AM
    Do these tablets have voice recording app like the way PlayBook has?
    10-12-13 11:10 PM
    Do these tablets have voice recording app like the way PlayBook has?
    They're Android tablets, there will be literally hundreds of voice recorder apps in the Google Play Store. As a general rule, any reasonably simple app (e.g. voice recorder, notes app, file explorer, browser etc.) will have dozens or even hundreds of options available in the Play Store. It's not like the Playbook where you're lucky if the App World happens to contain 1 app of the type you're looking for...

To any UK users looking for a replacement ATM: You might want to consider the Tesco Hudl. That's what I'm considering right now as a potential replacement for my PB.
    10-13-13 08:05 AM
    To any UK users looking for a replacement ATM: You might want to consider the Tesco Hudl. That's what I'm considering right now as a potential replacement for my PB.
    Same here. I'm looking at how many ClubCard points I'll have and what multiplier Tesco will give. Not yet had the time to try one out in-store. If there's a member of staff about I'm dying to ask if the ASDA/Sainsburys/Aldi sites are blocked in the browser
    10-13-13 09:35 AM
    The new nexus 7, and the nexus 10 are great tabs especially for the price. Samsung note 8", and older 10" can be bought for under $400 maybe even under $300. The galaxy tab 3's are decent, but I'd stick to the note series since they have more ram +stylus.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-13 10:06 AM
    I'm waiting on the new Atom chips and will be looking at the win8 tablets coming out with them.
    10-13-13 10:25 AM
    hudl looks too cheap and cheerless to me. However, I'm very interested in the lg gpad 8.3 when it comes out - has the qpair app that to my mind seems an evolution of bridge.
    10-13-13 03:37 PM