I have a few questions I am hoping to get some advice on.

I have a 32gb Playbook which I bought in September of 2012, thinking that BB10 would eventually come but sadly it won't as we all know. I guess my thinking was that if BB10 didn't come I could sell the playbook, so with that in mind my playbook is still sealed in the box and never opened.

The last several weeks I have a tremendous amount of posts on here and one issue keeps coming to mind for me which brings me to the crux of my question. With my Playbook having sat for such a long time do you think there will be charging issues? How should I proceed?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    07-15-13 12:30 AM
    it is probably fine... the charging issue usually occurs from use. only way to find out is to open it and plug it in, but I doubt it'll lose much charge as it is. or sell it and see what the buyer says
    Aek29 likes this.
    07-15-13 01:16 AM

I have a 32gb Playbook which I bought in September of 2012, thinking that BB10 would eventually come but sadly it won't as we all know. I guess my thinking was that if BB10 didn't come I could sell the playbook, so with that in mind my playbook is still sealed in the box and never opened.

The last several weeks I have a tremendous amount of posts on here and one issue keeps coming to mind for me which brings me to the crux of my question. With my Playbook having sat for such a long time do you think there will be charging issues? How should I proceed?

If it's new in the box, it should be fine. It would be hilarious and sad at the same time to see BB opening millions of inventory to recharge all their playbooks every few months. Once the device is charged at least once, should the device running out of battery, it will emit an alarm sound as a reminder.
    FF22 and Aek29 like this.
    07-15-13 06:59 AM
    I think that I've read of a few users running into problems with their initial use or startup due to a very low charge on the battery, possibly from older stock sitting around on a dusty shelf somewhere.

Also, another issue is that there have been a few RARE instances of bad hardware right out of the box. There is no way to determine that rare event if it is sealed in a box.
    Aek29 likes this.
    07-15-13 08:00 AM
    If it's new in the box, it should be fine. It would be hilarious and sad at the same time to see BB opening millions of inventory to recharge all their playbooks every few months. Once the device is charged at least once, should the device running out of battery, it will emit an alarm sound as a reminder.
    I don't think that Alarm would sound on a unit which has not downloaded the OS - the sealed pb is in an incomplete state until it downloads the official OS.

Also, one thing from that Knowledge base article is that OLDER OS's react differently to those very low battery levels:

KB27705-BlackBerry PlayBook battery power charge, discharge characteristics, and guidance on extending battery life
    07-15-13 08:03 AM

Just list your device as sealed unopened brand new playbook. Also try to unload it ASAP before the one year warranty expire. At least give the buyer a chance to repair or replace by the manufacturer should the unit itself has any issue.
    FF22 and Aek29 like this.
    07-15-13 08:04 AM
    Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate it.

I had thought about selling it locally but there have been so many Playbooks pop up for sale since the "No BB10" announcement that I think it might be a tough sell considering a used one is $50-$80. I will take a couple of days and try to decide what to do but I am leaning towards just opening it up and see for myself.
    07-15-13 10:12 AM

You bought a piece of technology and held onto it for almost a year.... and taught that if BB10 didn't come you would then resell it? Do you already have another PlayBook that you use??

But like others said... I did sell it as it is. Most likely it will work fine if the users give it a good charge.
    07-15-13 10:23 AM
    You bought a piece of technology and held onto it for almost a year.... and taught that if BB10 didn't come you would then resell it? Do you already have another PlayBook that you use??

But like others said... I did sell it as it is. Most likely it will work fine if the users give it a good charge.
    Yes I guess that was my thinking. I only have that one Playbook. Was just worried about the potential charging issue for me if I kept it or the buyer if I sold it.
    07-15-13 01:17 PM
    Just list your device as sealed unopened brand new playbook. Also try to unload it ASAP before the one year warranty expire. At least give the buyer a chance to repair or replace by the manufacturer should the unit itself has any issue.
    I quoted to emphasize this: The warranty generally runs from puchase, so that this one may be 3/4 of the way to expiration, although they have not always been very strict if it had not been registered with them. But don't count on it.
    07-15-13 03:43 PM