I realize this may be a long shot, but I figured maybe someone else has tried this as well.

The organization I work for is very paranoid about new technology or anything that hasn't really proved itself yet-so they instantly blocked bridge as soon as it became available and are only allowing it if they absolutely have to by special request only. One of our users has a unique request and is asking if he can just use his BB to control his PB without having us enable bridging. Has anyone tried this?

I've tried testing it myself and can't seem to get it to work. If I change the IT policy to the one we created for the PlayBook users it works fine and if I change it back to our default policy Bridge is disabled properly, I am still able to pair the devices with Bluetooth but when I bring up the BB Remote Control it says 'Remote Control requires a BlackBerry Bridge connection. Turn on BlackBerry Bridge, then restart this application.'

I guess in a sense I should expect this... but at the same time I though the BB Remote Control feature was just acting as as a Bluetooth HID mouse and keyboard-which is why people were able to pair it to their computers and gaming consoles successfully.

Just wishful thinking maybe? I mean, worst case we just enable bridge for him, but was curious if this was an option.
    Last edited by highos; 03-08-12 at 09:18 AM.
    03-08-12 09:14 AM
    no
    10 chars
    03-08-12 09:38 AM
    You answered your own question, "I've tried testing it myself and can't seem to get it to work. If I change the IT policy to the one we created for the PlayBook users it works fine and if I change it back to our default policy Bridge is disabled properly..." Amusingly, or not, these "security conscious" organizations seem to forget BlackBerry Bridge does not store any data on the tablet; the precious data is on the Blackberry smartphone. Sometimes the ignorance - this is not directed at you highos - of self-proclaimed security experts and IT staff astounds me.
    BrizzadMan likes this.
    03-08-12 02:32 PM
    Amusingly, or not, these "security conscious" organizations seem to forget BlackBerry Bridge does not store any data on the tablet; the precious data is on the Blackberry smartphone. Sometimes the ignorance - this is not directed at you highos - of self-proclaimed security experts and IT staff astounds me.
    I have copied confidential spreadsheets, docs etc. to my PB for reading while travelling. I wipe the docs after reading, but they are on the PB for a period of time.
    03-08-12 05:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD