Just came across this article and although it doesn't bother me to much I thought I'd share it with those who want native email.

The Real Reason There Was No Email On The BlackBerry PlayBook
    06-21-11 03:55 AM
    What this article is really saying is that their so-called "native E-Mail" is going to be a BES/BIS client like on the phones. To make this work, they first need to make it possible for their infrastructure to support multiple devices per BES/BIS user, as described in the article. As other articles on sites like CrackBerry have alluded to, they may also be planning to bring these features to the PlayBook through the upcoming BlackBerry Java container.

Oh, and when they finish, none of this sounds like it will give people an actual bona fide "native e-mail client" that runs on the tablet and directly connects via IMAP/POP/SMTP to their mail server of choice. Instead, it sounds like it will just give them a tablet version of the BES/BIS service they currently get on BlackBerry phones.

This is why there will still be room for 3rd party developers to step in and fill the void. Currently all we have out there for this is the Adobe Air platform. A few have apparently tried to provide something based on this, but so far none have actually succeeded. Maybe somewhat will eventually.

Once the native, BlackBerry (Java), and Android (Java) SDK options become available, I think we'll see a lot more. These will make it possible to port a lot of existing software that already has the functionality PlayBook users are clamoring for.
    06-21-11 06:53 AM
    This is part of the issue. The other part is that RIM has to finish the BlackBerry Player, which will give RIM the ability to port its mail, etc. clients to QNX.
    06-21-11 06:58 AM
    RIM have always said they would support BES on the PB. I'm pretty sure this will mean they will also provide a BIS type service for personal accounts too (will this be free or paid for though?). So yes there will most likely be support for plain POP/IMAP but I would eat my hat if you could do so without it going through BB servers to provide end to end encryption.
    06-21-11 07:26 AM
    I just do t see why native email is such a big deal. The bridge program works fine. I think they only intended to sell this to people with blackberries in the first place. I bought mine because of the bridge. Most tablets want to charge you for coverage or tethering fees.
    06-21-11 08:08 AM
    I just do t see why native email is such a big deal.
    The rest of the world disagrees. Look at Rim's stock price lately.
    06-21-11 08:09 AM
    Now there's speculation that native email will actually never come to my Playbook. Hope this is BS and RIM isn't taking us all for a ride.

It Might Actually Be Impossible For The BlackBerry PlayBook To Do Native Email! | Cult of Mac
    06-21-11 11:54 AM
    Now there's speculation that native email will actually never come to my Playbook. Hope this is BS and RIM isn't taking us all for a ride.

It Might Actually Be Impossible For The BlackBerry PlayBook To Do Native Email! | Cult of Mac
    Speculation from the "Cult of Mac."

RIM confirmed that it was coming this summer. My guess is September.
    06-21-11 12:18 PM

I've speculated that the moon is made of cheese, that doesn't make it so.
    06-21-11 12:19 PM
    Consider the source. First of all, it comes from a site called "Cult of Mac". Say no more. Second, it refers to the difficulties involved in transitioning from a single PIN per account structure to a many-to-one relationship.

My understanding is that the BlackberryID was implemented to set a framework to begin enabling many-to-one relationships. It has been implemented in App World and I'm sure that development is going on behind the scenes on the BES/BIS to attempt to deal with this. There are BES/BIS back end enhancements going on right now to deal with this. I'm sure that the implementation of native email would follow the same model as current phones.

This is not a problem that should be fixed by quick patching and modifying. It needs to be well thought out and carefully implemented. I'd prefer to have it done correctly than quickly. I'm loving my bridge capabilities, but definitely feel for those who have Playbooks but no BB phone. The world has made it quite clear to RIM that this is a very hot issue. I'm sure that they are reacting.
    06-21-11 12:25 PM

That link just uses the link from the OP as a source, then skews the interpretation.
    06-21-11 01:58 PM

After reading the comments about that stupid report, I fear for humanity even more, and now understand even more why lolapple sells so much, the world really is full of morons.
    06-21-11 02:29 PM
    I wouldn't take the Mac article to seriously... BES = BlackBerry Email System, lol. Furthermore the ***** who commented about the software not being ready needs to get up to date regarding his tech before posting rubbish in public.
    06-21-11 04:53 PM
    Consider the source. First of all, it comes from a site called "Cult of Mac". Say no more. Second, it refers to the difficulties involved in transitioning from a single PIN per account structure to a many-to-one relationship.

My understanding is that the BlackberryID was implemented to set a framework to begin enabling many-to-one relationships. It has been implemented in App World and I'm sure that development is going on behind the scenes on the BES/BIS to attempt to deal with this. There are BES/BIS back end enhancements going on right now to deal with this. I'm sure that the implementation of native email would follow the same model as current phones.

This is not a problem that should be fixed by quick patching and modifying. It needs to be well thought out and carefully implemented. I'd prefer to have it done correctly than quickly. I'm loving my bridge capabilities, but definitely feel for those who have Playbooks but no BB phone. The world has made it quite clear to RIM that this is a very hot issue. I'm sure that they are reacting.
    The author (John Brownlee) cited his source of the article was another article written by Jay Yarrow on businessinsider and he referenced an article on CB written by Kevin from March 29th, 2011
    06-21-11 05:48 PM
    Honestly I dont get it at all. The bridge feature makes the pb bb combo the best communication/productivity/media combo ever. Also I can hand it off to friends or family who can make use of it too and they can do their email off of it too. Having to check email on an extra device would just be a pain.

A tablet is supposed to be an extension of your cell phone. I believe that ultimately the market will reflect that. People will not want to pay an additional internet fee for yet another device or a tethering service and those who provide that alternative will be the ones that people move to.

A short time ago I was rockin an unlocked Iphone and my BB was collecring dust on my nightstand. I wanted an Ipad but the tethering fees are basically charging you for the air in between your phone and your tablet. Alot of people like me wont go for that.

This tablet is the best combo for a cell because it expands on what you already do with your phone seamlessly and doesnt charge you for anything except the initial purchase price. Apple has a nice asthetic touch to the things they do, but I just get sick of the petty fees.
    06-22-11 07:31 PM
    i think rim wants to release it on september because new the ipad is coming on that same month,but thats a big mistake because the new ipad is gonna kick our Pb ***.pls dont do this to us Rim we like blackberry but if theres better option then sory.iPhone 5 coming in September, iPad with Retina display and more - GSMArena.com news
    06-22-11 07:46 PM
    that has more to do with what really makes RIM money; the phones.

RIM isn't making much from the PlayBook.
    06-22-11 07:59 PM
    So if RIM delivers native email client come next Monday, do you think their stocks will bump up to the pre-PB release prices?
    06-22-11 08:48 PM
    Personally, I think it's late because of OS7. I think RIM has the logistic issue of BIS/BES & BBID vs PIN solved. They just need to code it.

It's widely acknowledged that native email will run in a BB player on the PB mch like how the android app will run sandboxed. The BB player is speculated to be able to run OS7 software. I'm assuming this is just a band aid solution until QNX on BB's come out. So technically, it's not even native email till BB's are QNX.

Because OS7 is late due to having to write all new code because of hardware issues, that's why native email is so late.

Again, this is my personal view of it...this is not fact at all.
    Last edited by narci; 06-22-11 at 08:54 PM.
    06-22-11 08:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD