I wanted to let my daughter use a PlayBook in the hospital but they are not allowed WiFi and they are not allowed to take pictures. Is it possible for me to disable these things?

Posted via CB10
    08-04-13 03:19 PM
    I wanted to let my daughter use a PlayBook in the hospital but they are not allowed WiFi and they are not allowed to take pictures. Is it possible for me to disable these things?

Posted via CB10
    I am not sure how without potentially irrevocably breaking it.

I mean you can turn off WIFI or use Airplane Mode but it can just as easily be reversed. I guess if they don't have a public wifi network, you can show them it is off and that without their password you canNOT get wifi. (without admitting you can leach off a phone but your daughter would probably not know what that's about)

While you might be able to find a way to remove the camera app, there have been too many stories of the Camera app going bad and the only fix is to send it to BB for repair. So I would not even chance it. Tape over the camera lenses is also an easily reversible process.

And best to whomever is being treated.
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    08-04-13 03:42 PM
    Is your daughter aware of multiple pages for the desktop? Can you drag the camera app to another page? Could do the same for any other apps you want out of the way.
    FF22 likes this.
    08-04-13 05:43 PM
    Is your daughter aware of multiple pages for the desktop? Can you drag the camera app to another page? Could do the same for any other apps you want out of the way.
    And then place it in a folder (which could be labeled: DoNotSnoop!)
    08-04-13 06:02 PM
    Can't you just tell your daughter not to use the camera or open the browser? A more radical solution would be to remove all of the app icons off of the dock, and then drag the Camera, Browser, Messages, Blackberry World and Pictures icons up to the dock. These icons will then disappear and your daughter will not likely be able to figure out how to get them back. Then, uninstall any apps that can access the web or camera, and she'll be pretty well locked out.
    FF22 likes this.
    08-04-13 06:06 PM
    Yeah, I would just tell her the truth about the matter and explain that those functions can mess with the electronic instrumentation that is helping others get well. Surely, she would not want to hurt anyone. Just the same with an airplane, e.g. put the PB in airplane mode and tell her to leave it that way. Def good luck with any treatments.
    08-04-13 06:31 PM
    She is in for Psychiatric care and they are pretty particular about camera usage. They might allow the WiFi.

Edit

They have open WiFi at the hospital so no WiFi enabled devices allowed.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by mikegcox; 08-04-13 at 07:22 PM.
    08-04-13 07:11 PM
    She is in for Psychiatric care and they are pretty particular about camera usage. They might allow the WiFi.

Edit

Posted via CB10
    Pacoman's suggestion might work but I would guess that you'd have to convince them there is NO camera app by going through all of the icons, opening each app and demonstrating their functions.

If you use his method, you will have to remove the PICTURES app which contains an icon (link) to the Camera. There may be other similar backdoors.
    08-04-13 07:28 PM

Edit

Posted via CB10
    Oh, OK. Well, you would think they would have secured wifi if they didn't want anyone to use it. But I guess the password would ultimately be shared. Only devices I know that don't have a camera are the B&N Nooks. They have wifi, though. Android can be rooted, though, and gain access to that hardware control. PB can't. You'd probably have to open it up and and disconnect a wire.
    08-04-13 08:20 PM
    (bad joke warning) It seems to be possible.
    Attached Thumbnails Is it possible to disable wifi and cameras?-img_20130783.jpg  
    08-04-13 08:50 PM
    (bad joke warning) It seems to be possible.
    Well, that was why I posted a warning about attempting to remove the Camera App. It could be a permanent operation with no restoration.
    08-04-13 09:07 PM
    I've mentioned in other threads that I could replicate the .4003 camera and video error messages and still get my camera back. That is still the case but, since so many others seem to lose access to theirs, I guess there must be other unresolvable reasons, too.
    08-04-13 09:43 PM
    As what others are saying, it is possible to disable PlayBook's camera and wifi... the further question would be, "temporary" or "permanently"?....

Posted via Z10
    08-04-13 10:13 PM